Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

Should I regear?

Old 05-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chillindude010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I regear?

I am getting yes and no answers. I have a 02 f-150 2wd with 33s and the tag listed a 3.55ls. Im hearing its worth it and others are saying its not. i was hearing 4.10s would be close to what i need but is it really worth it for the money. Any shops yall suggest in doing the work? I have had my ups and downs with all of them so anything help would be great.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:20 PM
just a little 4x4

ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck
Default Re: Should I regear?

4.10 would give ya more towing and pulling power but make ur gas millage worse . . . my brother's f250 came with 4.10's . . and was running em on his 38's when he got em but it was a pig so we upgraded to 5.38's . . . it's a matter of what ya wanna do with the truck . . .
Old 05-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

tenacious has disabled reputation

I agree fully. What will be the main purpose 4 the truck?
Old 05-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

chillindude010 is an unknown quantity at this point

I drive my truck daily around town. It is 2wd with the 4.6. I have muptile trailers I tow. I tow a 6 x 10 with around 2000 pds at least once or twice a week and a 4000pd boat on a trailer that Im not afraid to haul with it. They all do fine, but it drives me crazy when the truck searches for a better gear in the tunnels. Im not complainng about the mileage i get but if there is something that will improve what I have then I would be happy. I have a jlt intake and superchip programmer. And yea I know a 5.4 should be the way to go but its what I got and Im happy with what i got but always look for better things to do to my truck. Its got 87k on it right now.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:01 AM
Registered Member

unclemeat has disabled reputation

IMO yes you should regear. 4.10 sounds about right. Your performance would be better, and it is likely your fuel mileage would also improve. Remember when you increase your tire diameter you do the same thing as lowering your gear ratio. I am going to assume 31s are stock, you effective gear ratio now is like 3.23 or less. This puts additional stress on the transmission and axle. Regearing returns the stress to the engine, allowing it to operate in its optimum powerband (most efficient).

You can find axle ratio calculators on the web. You want to return you normal engine RPMs to stock for best performance. Also, regearing will improve the fun factor.
Regearing is expensive (about $600 per axle) so do your homework first. You may even be able to find an axle geared better (4.10) and just swap the axle, which is usually cheaper and a shade tree mechanic can do the work.