Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

Questions about driving o beach in nags head?

Old 08-03-2005, 11:28 PM
PandaMania

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these parts
Default Questions about driving o beach in nags head?

I was wondering if anyone knew or has been down to the nags head area and driven on the beach. Do you have to have some type of permit or something? If so where can one be obtained from? Im thinking about taken a trex up there this sunday with the wrangler just to hang out drive around and hit up the water. Any info would be helpful.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:27 AM
MVP Member

ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz
Default Re: Questions about driving o beach in nags head?

you can drive on posted areas and no permit is needed. The only place I have done it though is around oregon inlet I think it was
Old 08-04-2005, 09:55 AM
PandaMania

BigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these parts

thats what some of the guys on MPJAI were saying. Does anyone have directions to that spot or a addy i can map quest.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Is Watching You

litlespicisgay is an unknown quantity at this point

wtf is a trex. we go to the beach aout 15 times per year i dont think we have ever made a trex. Must be a jeep thing. I don't understand. All the way down 168. cross the wright bros bridge. downa few more miles. take a left down about 5 more. aross from the oregon inlet fishing center. might try looking that up for address.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:25 AM
poop

Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate

You can't drive on the beach in Nags Head Town, or any Town between MP1 and MP28 between Memorial Day and Labor Day. After tourist season you can drive in Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills during daylight hours only. At no time can you drive in Nags Head (even after tourist season) w/out a Permit (they cost 25 dollars).

You can however drive on Oregon Intlet and surrounding areas where posted year round. You can't drive on Pea Island period... which is that long stretch of Wildlife Refugee between Orengon Inlet Bridge and Rodanthe. The next place your allowed full access to the beach is Hatteras Island/Frisco. You can drive anywhere postd down there.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:29 AM
poop

A side note, if your jeeps stock and you got those pizza cutters... currently Oregon Inlet entrance is really really soft and very deep due to lots of tourist traffic. So let a bit of air out before you even get to the entrance... down to 25psi should be fine for that area. Once you get past the entrance is pretty packed.

Frisco is normally pretty easy to get out onto and you can switch to 2wd once your onto the actual packed beach around the bend towards the cove (the part that wraps around and is now actually a south facing beach). But watch out if the winds strong NE and your out and high tide comes, it blocks your exits sometimes and you'll have to drive south all the way to Frisco Airport.

We got caught once and had to wade out trucks through about 3 1/2 feet of ocean water... which is horrible for a vehicle. Salt water kills.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:49 AM
PandaMania

Thanks for the tips Crate. What do you guys think about Corolla. I hear you just follow the road tell it ends and then there are miles of beach and maybe wild horses if your lucky. That is what a guy on a different board told me.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:24 PM
takin it all

HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY

so i guess from what crate wrote. it doesnt appear to be a good idea to take a 2wd f150 out there?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:44 PM
poop

Originally Posted by BigHead Ted
Thanks for the tips Crate. What do you guys think about Corolla. I hear you just follow the road tell it ends and then there are miles of beach and maybe wild horses if your lucky. That is what a guy on a different board told me.
That is another option.. whichever is your cup of tea. Either way once you cross the bridge Sunday. You can either drive 1.5 hours north to Corolla/Corova which you may see wild horses and stuff, or you can drive 1.5 hours south to Hatteras/Frisco.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:44 PM
poop

Originally Posted by slowsilverteg
so i guess from what crate wrote. it doesnt appear to be a good idea to take a 2wd f150 out there?
I would not be inclined to say thats a good idea. Unless its really done up and geared or something with some wide tires like a pre-runner style.

Quick Reply: Questions about driving o beach in nags head?