Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

Question about 88+ GM Fullsize

Old 02-04-2009, 09:51 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby
Default Question about 88+ GM Fullsize

I recently aquired a 1988 GMC Sierra 4x4 and had a problem with the fuel gauge, i was working perfectly when i got the truck then 2 days ago it took a shit, i thought i was almost on E and went to fill up. Paid $29 in gas, which i new wasn't right for a fill-up, and it only put it a little over a quarter of a tank. So i know the guage isn't accurate and just tring to figure out what i should do first to try and fix it.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Default Re: Question about 88+ GM Fullsize

Also i forgot to add, my transmission is acting up, i've been told it could be a electonical issue being as it doesn't want to shift right sometimes, sometimes it shifts great, other times you have to stomp the gas to make it shift. Where should i start on looking to fix that? Its a 700R4 trans.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:53 PM
World Famous VF-14

fullsize fun is a splendid one to beholdfullsize fun is a splendid one to beholdfullsize fun is a splendid one to beholdfullsize fun is a splendid one to beholdfullsize fun is a splendid one to beholdfullsize fun is a splendid one to beholdfullsize fun is a splendid one to behold

Check your tv cable , for the down shifting problems, but i think your gonna find out you got took.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Fuck my life

TexasGlock23 will become famous soon enoughTexasGlock23 will become famous soon enough

The wiring on the gauge may be shot, or the float is screwed. The 700r4 trannies are junk. It may be time for a rebuild.

try us over at www.gmfullsize.com
Old 02-05-2009, 05:22 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Originally Posted by fullsize fun
Check your tv cable , for the down shifting problems, but i think your gonna find out you got took.
It down shifts great its just normal shifting, it seems like when it warm it shifts great but when cold, not so great, but for the money i paid for the truck, i'm not complaining, the body, motor, transfer case and axles where at least worth that, the only thing i had to fix on the 4wd was the actuator which was expensive for as little as it was but still every thing else works great.

Originally Posted by TexasGlock23
The wiring on the gauge may be shot, or the float is screwed. The 700r4 trannies are junk. It may be time for a rebuild.

try us over at www.gmfullsize.com
Ok thanks for the info, i figured it could be the float so that would probably be the first thing to replace being as it is as old as it is anyway. Yea i know they are i had one in my old 2wd 89 Cheyenne. I'll probably just replace it if it doesn't get better when i do a filter and fluid change on it. I have a feeling some of the problems with the tranny are probably because of non-maintance.