Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

Post a pic of your offroader/4x4.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:34 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake
Default Re: Post a pic of your offroader/4x4.

Just bought this hooptie for a dd/fishing vehicle since a big cam stalled gto was more than a handful to daily.

2004, 4.5", 32s, Tom woods ds, 4.56s.
Attached Thumbnails Post a pic of your offroader/4x4.-image.jpg   Post a pic of your offroader/4x4.-image.jpg  
Old 03-11-2014, 04:28 AM
11B3P

Airborne29th Airborne29th Airborne29th Airborne29th Airborne29th Airborne29th Airborne29th Airborne29th Airborne29th Airborne29th Airborne29th

Originally Posted by -JB-
I've been researching for a truck for a year now. I want a 3/4 or ton truck. Can't decide on gas/diesel. I know I want a 4door. Preferably leather/sunroof but not a deal breaker. Do not want the 6.0 or 6.4 ford's. Also don't want to buy an overpriced truck. I drive 3miles to work everyday. Then 5miles to the gym. No more then 20miles a day if I go to the gym. I'll tow my Jeep 1-2x a month. The wife wants a camper (one day) so that maybe an option. But not sure a diesel would benefit me. I may not work it hard enough and afraid it'll have issues from not getting enough mileage on an everyday basis.

I thought about a newer 1/2ton (that have 3/4ton gear under it that can compete with older 3/4 tons) like a newer Tundra, newer f150. But if I want to haul a gooseneck trailer one day with two Jeeps on it, these trucks won't be able to do that.

At my max tow two Jeep (4500lbs x 2) + 3000lb car trailer + people + gear. I'm putting my max tow at 15,000lbs......on rare occasions I would have to pull this much
Just curious, but what is your Hangup with the 6.4? I can understand the 6.0 but don't understand many of peoples bash against the 6.4?
Old 03-11-2014, 05:33 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

Originally Posted by Airborne29th
Just curious, but what is your Hangup with the 6.4? I can understand the 6.0 but don't understand many of peoples bash against the 6.4?
Has to do with basically what this article posted and talking with other 6.4 users on a couple other boards.

I'm starting to lean towards a gasser just because I won't use a diesel like it's intended for. Barely be putting any mileage on it. Will only tow a handful of times a year probably. With the upkeep in cost between gasser vs diesel plus fuel cost. Not sure I "need" a diesel. Unless I can find one at a decent price but I'm still not sure I really need one.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:39 AM
11B3P

Airborne29th Airborne29th Airborne29th Airborne29th Airborne29th Airborne29th Airborne29th Airborne29th Airborne29th Airborne29th Airborne29th

Has to do with basically what this article posted and talking with other 6.4 users on a couple other boards.

I'm starting to lean towards a gasser just because I won't use a diesel like it's intended for. Barely be putting any mileage on it. Will only tow a handful of times a year probably. With the upkeep in cost between gasser vs diesel plus fuel cost. Not sure I "need" a diesel. Unless I can find one at a decent price but I'm still not sure I really need one.
Can you post the article? Or did I miss it back a few pages? Just wondering because all the articles that I have read ragging on the 6.4 have been a small select group that I have seen. I have a 6.4 and know numerous others that have them and have ZERO issues with them. To me its all well my buddy knows this guy that had this problem and so on.. Not trying to defend the engine as yes it did have some issues here and there, but every model has that.. other than the 6.0 which was a complete pile haha. Plus once you pull all the emissions off of any of these new diesels they are able to breath right and run like they should anyways.. and this thing is a Monster when thats all gone!

To me, if you are looking for a gooseneck or 5th wheel eventually, I don't know if I would get a gasser now. I have a friend who bought a new 2014 F250 gasser and regrets it everyday due to fuel mileage on his when he talks to me about mine, as well as a friend who bought a 2011 F150 V8 fullsize who has said he should have just bought a diesel in the fuel mileage he is getting. And upkeep on the diesel has been no different from a gasser really. If you stay on top of any vehicle, maintenance should not be an issue.(Yeah I see I did the I know a friend thing here hah.. oops. However I have driven a gasser for towing and would never leave a diesel for any towing now.)

But again, not trying to sway you one way or another, just trying to give some insight on the Diesel side. But not sure what boards you have frequented but I literally scoured powerstroke.org for over a year before I bought my 6.4 new when I was 1st deployed back in 07 and came away with a lot of good knowledge on both sides.

I'll also add I did not buy my diesel because I've needed it either but now that I have it, I have used it for what it was meant for more often. With myself and others in my family or friends needing stuff towed/hauled.. I do not daily it either, it normally sits at home until the weather is bad or I need to haul/tow something or if I just want to go have some fun. Since I bought it new in 07 I have just recently broke 65k miles on it

EDIT: Went back and reread your initial post on it and if you are looking to daily this, then a diesel might not be the best either for the short commute.

Last edited by Airborne29th; 03-11-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Fitty Tuckin

Originally Posted by Airborne29th
Can you post the article? Or did I miss it back a few pages? Just wondering because all the articles that I have read ragging on the 6.4 have been a small select group that I have seen. I have a 6.4 and know numerous others that have them and have ZERO issues with them. To me its all well my buddy knows this guy that had this problem and so on.. Not trying to defend the engine as yes it did have some issues here and there, but every model has that.. other than the 6.0 which was a complete pile haha. Plus once you pull all the emissions off of any of these new diesels they are able to breath right and run like they should anyways.. and this thing is a Monster when thats all gone!

To me, if you are looking for a gooseneck or 5th wheel eventually, I don't know if I would get a gasser now. I have a friend who bought a new 2014 F250 gasser and regrets it everyday due to fuel mileage on his when he talks to me about mine, as well as a friend who bought a 2011 F150 V8 fullsize who has said he should have just bought a diesel in the fuel mileage he is getting. And upkeep on the diesel has been no different from a gasser really. If you stay on top of any vehicle, maintenance should not be an issue.(Yeah I see I did the I know a friend thing here hah.. oops. However I have driven a gasser for towing and would never leave a diesel for any towing now.)

But again, not trying to sway you one way or another, just trying to give some insight on the Diesel side. But not sure what boards you have frequented but I literally scoured powerstroke.org for over a year before I bought my 6.4 new when I was 1st deployed back in 07 and came away with a lot of good knowledge on both sides.

I'll also add I did not buy my diesel because I've needed it either but now that I have it, I have used it for what it was meant for more often. With myself and others in my family or friends needing stuff towed/hauled.. I do not daily it either, it normally sits at home until the weather is bad or I need to haul/tow something or if I just want to go have some fun. Since I bought it new in 07 I have just recently broke 65k miles on it

EDIT: Went back and reread your initial post on it and if you are looking to daily this, then a diesel might not be the best either for the short commute.
No my dumbness forgot to post it
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/import...6_4l_problems/

And I'm half and half on daily. Why buy a nice truck to let set when I could drive it everyday. I only have a 5 mile commute. Or I could let it sit and then drive a car as a commuter. But if I get a car then why would I need a newer truck. Would just need something to tow once in awhile or haul something in the bed.

Thats were I'm at right now.

Newer Truck - either get a diesel save on fuel cost, but maybe more in upkeep and fuel cost more. Or get a gasser, less money in upkeep usually, fuel bill is less but mileage sucks

Older truck - get a diesel, find one with good service records and hopefully not many maintenance issues with the older truck. Get a car to drive around as a dd.

Last edited by -JB-; 03-11-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:45 AM
11B3P

No my dumbness forgot to post it
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/import...6_4l_problems/

And I'm half and half on daily. Why buy a nice truck to let set when I could drive it everyday. I only have a 5 mile commute. Or I could let it sit and then drive a car as a commuter. But if I get a car then why would I need a newer truck. Would just need something to tow once in awhile or haul something in the bed.

Thats were I'm at right now.

Newer Truck - either get a diesel save on fuel cost, but maybe more in upkeep and fuel cost more. Or get a gasser, less money in upkeep usually, fuel bill is less but mileage sucks

Older truck - get a diesel, find one with good service records and hopefully not many maintenance issues with the older truck. Get a car to drive around as a dd.

This is the exact article that everyone seems to quote, which is a bad misrepresentation of the truck in general. Either way it sounds like you would be in my case. I still have my cheap beater honda that I drive around most of the time unless I feel like driving my truck or need to. My suggestion is try and find a 7.3 for a great price.. You can sometimes find someone clueless on what they have. That is if you are set on the Ford Brand.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:06 AM
Fitty Tuckin

Not really one brand only type person. I seem to like the interior on the Ford's better. Chevy would be 2nd.

Both make a nice gasser as well with the v10 or the 8.1 as an option.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:57 AM
Who's this guy?

Bandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my new to me '79 Bronco. 4" lift 35x12.50x15's.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:25 PM
Have nice day

02Xterra 02Xterra 02Xterra 02Xterra 02Xterra 02Xterra 02Xterra 02Xterra 02Xterra 02Xterra 02Xterra

Today's trip to Shoe Creek

Last edited by 02Xterra; 03-30-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:41 PM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Originally Posted by Bandit
Here's my new to me '79 Bronco. 4" lift 35x12.50x15's.

Very nice. Motor and trans? Please say 460 and 4 speed! The 302s and 351s with C6 are no slouch, but nothing beats a big block and a clutch.

Last edited by SMOKEYBEAR; 03-30-2014 at 01:45 PM.