Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

noob here

Old 03-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zero! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default noob here

hey guys i wanted to introduce myself, im theo.
ive got a beat to shit 89 yota that never works as well as when shes in the mud.
im looking for a few places to get muddy locally, i just moved back after almost a decade of being gone and ive got a few other tech questions for all you yota guys out there. specifically the O2 sensor wire colors so i can rewire this thing properly. im a little confused why one of the wires would be a shielded wire.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:37 PM

actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball
Default Re: noob here

02 sensors are easy-you have a signal wire and earth wire (ground) and may have one or two heater wires. How many wires do you have and what are the colors?
Old 03-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

four wires. black shielded (like a coax) two pink (heater) and i cant remember the last color from the harness at the moment.. i hooked it up as the shielded wire to be the signal and the two pink as the heater. the truck is still throwing a code for the O2 after that and i was having idle issues. so obviously thats not it haha.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:29 PM

actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball

What is the code it's throwing? Also post exact engine and year of engine and computer

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-te...ensors-267193/

Old 03-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

the oxygen sensor is brand new. the truck didnt have one before february and ive owned it since spetember. its a 1989 sr5 pickup with the 22re motor.
the code its throwing is 21. oxygen sensor.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:24 PM

That makes it easier for me:

When the ignition is turned to the on position, the computer looks for voltage from the heater ground circuit. If there is no voltage present on the wire, the computer will turn on the check engine light and store trouble code 21.

Backprobe the Red/Green or Pink/Green wire at the O2 sensor heater circuit and check for battery voltage. This wire is grounded by the ECU to turn on the 02 sensor heater. If it does not have battery voltage, test for input battery voltage on the White/Red wire at the O2 sensor. If there is no voltage on that circuit, check the wiring to the electronic fuel injection (EFI) relay. If the White/Red wire does have voltage, the heater in the O2 is faulty or there is a wiring problem. Replace the O2 sensor if necessary. Verify that the heater ground wire from the 02 sensor to the ECU has no shorts or opens. When the system works correctly, the voltage on the Red/Green or Pink/Green wire at the O2 sensor should drop below 0.5 volts when the engine is started.

NOTE:
just because because you have a brand new O2 sensor does not mean its working-they can be abd out of the box.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

wow, thanks! the thought had occurred to me that i could be faulty out of the box.. but im really hoping not.
these things arent cheap.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:06 AM
That's not gone well

Zero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud of

Great.