Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

I bought my Van

Old 04-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steveM has disabled reputation
Default I bought my Van

Finally found one. I bought a 1985 Ford 4x4 van. It pretty low rust, but currently in Denver. My friend inspected it and picked it up for me. I doubt I can ship it because it's oversize, so I'll be flying out to drive it back June 10th (my friend is getting married then). I figure I can kill two birds with one stone.

I'd post a picture if I knew how. It will need paint (I'm thinking white) and a small lift (2-3 inch body) so I can put 35's under it (I'll need 35's also). Would you guys suggest going to one shop that does it all, or is bouncing around from shop to shop better for saving some money? I know tires can be had for cheap online, but will local shops be flexible with their prices if you have them also do the lift?

Any suggestions would be great. I'm hoping I can have most of the major work finished by mid-July.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

tdrewry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I bought my Van

pungo offroad...have everything..if not...good tire and wheel in gloucester is great for parts and wheels and tires
Old 04-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Who run bartertown?

TheReanimator has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by tdrewry
pungo offroad...have everything..if not...good tire and wheel in gloucester is great for parts and wheels and tires
I second that.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Love the mud

JPW0504 has disabled reputation

i can do the body lift at my house cheaper than any store around here if you want to go that route
Old 04-24-2007, 07:47 PM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

production off road, guy lives in my neighborhood, he has some nasty ass cars
Old 04-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by JPW0504
i can do the body lift at my house cheaper than any store around here if you want to go that route
I was wondering if a shadetree mechanic can do this. There isn't a kit, so I'm not sure how you go about doing it. I've seen the universal 2.5" poly block spacers on ebay, I suppose those are needed, new longer bolts and a few other items to adjust for the higher body? I'll try to find out what is needed and if I can save some money by paying someone on this forum I'm definitely up for that.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:08 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by steveM
I was wondering if a shadetree mechanic can do this. There isn't a kit, so I'm not sure how you go about doing it. I've seen the universal 2.5" poly block spacers on ebay, I suppose those are needed, new longer bolts and a few other items to adjust for the higher body? I'll try to find out what is needed and if I can save some money by paying someone on this forum I'm definitely up for that.
Do your research on the van first off.. make sure that the blocks are not too big or too small in diamater. If needs be you can have www.4crawler.com custom make the blocks for you to your specs.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Here's a picture of it (I hope it loads). I plan on getting it painted, I was leaning towards white, but it has a tan dash. Any suggestions?

Old 04-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

deshet has disabled reputation

nice van which engine. I got a really good deal on a 6" suspension lift from Pro Truck on Indian River Road. Less the $500 installed and it looked good.

BFG cost a bit of money at first but they last a long time. My 35's looked new for years.

Don't do a body lift. They are junk and look like crap shortly after they are installed. Save you money and do it right once.

How much was the Van? Let me know if you ever want to sell it.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:48 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by deshet
nice van which engine. I got a really good deal on a 6" suspension lift from Pro Truck on Indian River Road. Less the $500 installed and it looked good.

BFG cost a bit of money at first but they last a long time. My 35's looked new for years.

Don't do a body lift. They are junk and look like crap shortly after they are installed. Save you money and do it right once.

How much was the Van? Let me know if you ever want to sell it.

The van has a 460, so it has plenty of power to go with bigger tires. Dual gas tanks will give me enough range to make it from gas station to gas station. It was $4k, thanks for the offer to buy (you're the second person), but if all goes right I won't be parting with it.

If I can get a suspension lift installed at a reasonable price I'll do it. From what I understand the combo is the way to go. All I know is it takes a minimum 2.5" lift to get 35" tires under it, and some fender flares. I'll contact a few of the local shops and post whatever I find out. I know vans seem to cost more to lift, because it's not so common and requires a bit more engineering.

Quick Reply: I bought my Van