VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Offroad / 4x4 (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/offroad-4x4-47/)
-   -   help a brother out.... F-350 4x4 problem (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/offroad-4x4-47/help-brother-out-f-350-4x4-problem-389176/)

iFoam 03-24-2011 06:42 AM

help a brother out.... F-350 4x4 problem

Update: it was the transfer case motor. Thanks guys!

ok help me out...

my f-350....

well whether i have my hubs set to auto or manual (locked).... turn the 4x4 knob... nothing happens.... i get no light on the dash, nothing. no 4x4.... also my front driveshaft is not turning...

help? xfer case? vacuum lines? xfer case motor?

OverEasy 03-24-2011 10:39 AM

Re: help a brother out.... F-350 4x4 problem

Caleb i'm not real sure... I know that normally if you aren't getting Dshaft movement the problem is topside. What year is the truck? I'm not familiar with your setup though.... i'm in to help though...

actionpaintball 03-24-2011 11:24 AM

Your hubs only lock your actual hubs in. Your drive shaft and indicator light for 4x4 would be controlled by the actually hardware inside your transfer case. You did not post your year, but because you do not have a level operated 4x4 shifter, I am assuming you have t-case motor that controls the shifting. Fords are notorious for having bad motors, but it could also be a simple wiring problem. Here is the trouble tree:

The transfer case will not shift into Four Wheel Drive (4WD). The shift control switch on the dash shows a change in position through the scan tool. Trouble code P1867 was retrieved from the Generic Electronic Module (GEM).
Tests/Procedures:
1. Check input values of the transfer case contact plate switches A, B, C, and D. In the 2H position of the shift motor, plate C should indicate Open, all other plate switches should indicate Closed.

2. If the readings are not correct, disconnect the 6-pin contact plate switch connector at the transfer case shift motor and check for any amount of voltage on the White (WT) wire with the ignition switch on, to verify that the circuit is not shorted to ground in the harness.

3. If the circuit shows voltage, replace the transfer case shift motor assembly.
Potential Causes:
Harness
Transfer Case Shift Motor
Tech Tips:
The GEM uses the contact plate switches to identify where the shift motor sits in its rotational position. If it gets a combination of open and closed readings that it cannot identify, it will not make any attempt to move the shift motor and thereby will not change the status of the indicator lights when a shift is commanded by the driver.

Here is a similar 2nd related trouble tree listing the GEM as a possible culprit:

No Four Wheel Drive (4WD) shift operation.
Tests/Procedures:
1. Perform self-test of the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) and diagnosis any service codes that are produced which reference transfer case shift operation. Clear the codes if present from the memory of the GEM and re-perform a shift attempt. Then, recheck for service codes.

2. If the GEM does not produce any service codes related to transfer case shift operation, check the contact plate switch values for proper indication that the shift motor is in the 2WD position. This would be indicated by contact plate switch C reading CLOSED and the other contact plate switches reading OPEN.

3. If the contact plate switch values do not read correctly, disconnect the 6-wire connector of the shift motor and look for all contact plate switch values to indicate a CLOSED status.

4. Jumper the Violet/Yellow (VT/YE) wire at pin 4 of the 6-pin connector to all other circuits of the connector except for the Orange (OG) wire at pin 3 which should cause the switch values to change to an OPEN status.

5. If the contact plate switch circuits do not read as indicated with the connector unplugged or the circuits jumpered, check the circuits between the shift motor connection and the GEM for an open circuit, short to ground, or short to another circuit and service as needed.

6. If the contact plate switch readings do not read correctly with the shift motor in Two-Wheel Drive (2WD) position but the values read as stated with the connector unplugged and the circuits of the connection jumpered together, replace the shift motor assembly.

SMOKEYBEAR 03-24-2011 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by iFoam (Post 6986488)
ok help me out...

my f-350....

well whether i have my hubs set to auto or manual (locked).... turn the 4x4 knob... nothing happens.... i get no light on the dash, nothing. no 4x4.... also my front driveshaft is not turning...

help? xfer case? vacuum lines? xfer case motor?

If that read "I pull the transfercase lever" we wouldn't be here.:D

I don't have any personal experience with the newer electronic transfer cases. A few friends have 'em and when they failed like yours has..its been the electric motor that engages the transfer case.

iFoam 03-24-2011 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by actionpaintball (Post 6987129)
Your hubs only lock your actual hubs in. Your drive shaft and indicator light for 4x4 would be controlled by the actually hardware inside your transfer case. You did not post your year, but because you do not have a level operated 4x4 shifter, I am assuming you have t-case motor that controls the shifting. Fords are notorious for having bad motors, but it could also be a simple wiring problem. Here is the trouble tree:

The transfer case will not shift into Four Wheel Drive (4WD). The shift control switch on the dash shows a change in position through the scan tool. Trouble code P1867 was retrieved from the Generic Electronic Module (GEM).
Tests/Procedures:
1. Check input values of the transfer case contact plate switches A, B, C, and D. In the 2H position of the shift motor, plate C should indicate Open, all other plate switches should indicate Closed.

2. If the readings are not correct, disconnect the 6-pin contact plate switch connector at the transfer case shift motor and check for any amount of voltage on the White (WT) wire with the ignition switch on, to verify that the circuit is not shorted to ground in the harness.

3. If the circuit shows voltage, replace the transfer case shift motor assembly.
Potential Causes:
Harness
Transfer Case Shift Motor
Tech Tips:
The GEM uses the contact plate switches to identify where the shift motor sits in its rotational position. If it gets a combination of open and closed readings that it cannot identify, it will not make any attempt to move the shift motor and thereby will not change the status of the indicator lights when a shift is commanded by the driver.

Here is a similar 2nd related trouble tree listing the GEM as a possible culprit:

No Four Wheel Drive (4WD) shift operation.
Tests/Procedures:
1. Perform self-test of the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) and diagnosis any service codes that are produced which reference transfer case shift operation. Clear the codes if present from the memory of the GEM and re-perform a shift attempt. Then, recheck for service codes.

2. If the GEM does not produce any service codes related to transfer case shift operation, check the contact plate switch values for proper indication that the shift motor is in the 2WD position. This would be indicated by contact plate switch C reading CLOSED and the other contact plate switches reading OPEN.

3. If the contact plate switch values do not read correctly, disconnect the 6-wire connector of the shift motor and look for all contact plate switch values to indicate a CLOSED status.

4. Jumper the Violet/Yellow (VT/YE) wire at pin 4 of the 6-pin connector to all other circuits of the connector except for the Orange (OG) wire at pin 3 which should cause the switch values to change to an OPEN status.

5. If the contact plate switch circuits do not read as indicated with the connector unplugged or the circuits jumpered, check the circuits between the shift motor connection and the GEM for an open circuit, short to ground, or short to another circuit and service as needed.

6. If the contact plate switch readings do not read correctly with the shift motor in Two-Wheel Drive (2WD) position but the values read as stated with the connector unplugged and the circuits of the connection jumpered together, replace the shift motor assembly.

enjoy your rep sir. thanks!

Originally Posted by SMOKEYBEAR (Post 6987152)
If that read "I pull the transfercase lever" we wouldn't be here.:D

I don't have any personal experience with the newer electronic transfer cases. A few friends have 'em and when they failed like yours has..its been the electric motor that engages the transfer case.

well played sir.