Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

Got an 85 toyota pickup question

Old 08-16-2007, 06:13 AM
S-T-F-U

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brycerb Brycerb
Default Got an 85 toyota pickup question

Just got this new toy and I want to put the 350 from my Blazer into it. My question is, is it better to adapt the 350 to the maual tranny or put in a th350 and adapt to the xfer case? I am new to the toyota family and appreciate any help given.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:25 AM
just a little 4x4

ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck
Default Re: Got an 85 toyota pickup question

if it's passenger side drop why not put the hole tranny and t-case in it? may have to make a crossmember and some driveshafts but still. . . some of them adapters are expensive . . . . but I'm sure a couple yota guys will let ya know . . . most I see are adapted to the yota t-case
Old 08-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

I'm not too sure how well the 4 cylinder tranny holds up to a sbc. I know there are people that have done it but I think most mate the chevy tranny to the t-case. The yota t-case it very stout so there shouldn't any issues there.

It is a passenger side drop. I believe a lot of people use the yota t-case still though cause they have the intentions of running dual cases.

It is all really just a personal preference. I'm not so sure that there is any one way that is better.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Is Watching You

litlespicisgay is an unknown quantity at this point

go full size all the way. I know this raises the price but.... anything in that driveline that is still yota will break when it counts. you dont have to buy one ton stuff. half ton will probably hold up as long as you stay pretty mild with the motor and don't run too big of a tire.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:52 AM
S-T-F-U

Brycerb Brycerb

Originally Posted by smokin6-0
go full size all the way. I know this raises the price but.... anything in that driveline that is still yota will break when it counts. you dont have to buy one ton stuff. half ton will probably hold up as long as you stay pretty mild with the motor and don't run too big of a tire.
The price wont go up, I have a bunch of chevy 1/2 ton parts laying around. From what I have been reading, the best way to go is with a chevy 350/th350 and a np203 range box (for extra low gearing) bolted to the toyota Xfer case.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:11 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by smokin6-0

he is putting in a sbc not a bbc. Don't under estimate the toyota drivetrain. It is very stout.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:28 AM
Registered Member

ron2k1 has disabled reputation

put in the th350 the stock tranny wont last long at all unless ur 350 is only running on 4cylinders
Old 08-17-2007, 06:35 AM
Registered Member

tommasiphotos has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by cootees
he is putting in a sbc not a bbc. Don't under estimate the toyota drivetrain. It is very stout.
+1 It can hold it's own pretty well. You can just use the adapter and you'll be fine.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74

I would not use the Toyota tranny with the V8. Everything else; X-case, drive shafts, and axles can handle it. Every V8 swap I have seen in a Toyota used on the street has overheating issues. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:28 AM
S-T-F-U

Brycerb Brycerb

Originally Posted by JDM74
I would not use the Toyota tranny with the V8. Everything else; X-case, drive shafts, and axles can handle it. Every V8 swap I have seen in a Toyota used on the street has overheating issues. Good luck.
Maybe I will put the radiator in the back, i have a couple electric fans laying around.

Quick Reply: Got an 85 toyota pickup question