VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Offroad / 4x4 (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/offroad-4x4-47/)
-   -   Ford Superduty Transmission SWAP *NEED PARTS* (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/offroad-4x4-47/ford-superduty-transmission-swap-%2Aneed-parts%2A-346471/)

69muscle 05-14-2010 11:00 PM

Ford Superduty Transmission SWAP *NEED PARTS*

Ok guys basically im tired of the P.O.S. 4r100 automatic thats behind my powerstroke. (im on the 3rd tranny now). I've made up my mind to swap it to the 6-speed manual. Just wanted to make a post to see if anyone has any advice or help and give a brief list of what im looking for. If you have or know someone who has a '99-'03 superduty with a 7.3L powerstroke and a manual transmission, no matter how bad the condition of the truck is...im interested because i'd like to buy a whole parts truck.

Here's what i need should i have to gather it all from different places:

zf6 manual trans.
floor hump from a manual (the one it automatic trucks isnt high enough to clear the manual trans)
shift lever and boot
clutch/brake pedal assembly
clutch master and slave cylinders
steering column
gauge cluster

i may need a transfer case from a manual trans truck as well (im not sure if the one from my automatic will match up or not).

as I said, please let me know if you can help in locating a whole parts truck or any of the parts listed.

I will document and post pictures and info of the whole process as it begins to unfold incase anyone else has this idea in mind.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

UrGrlGveMeDkBrn 05-15-2010 02:15 AM

Re: Ford Superduty Transmission SWAP *NEED PARTS*

Just wondering but have you ever put a built one on there?

69muscle 05-15-2010 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by jebsurf (Post 6323001)
Just wondering but have you ever put a built one on there?

hey man...i figured you would post on this topic...(i talked to you in the past)....anyway. when i got the truck it had a "built" trans in it.. (billet converter, billet planetaries, etc)...im not sure of what had been done....but either way i just dont have $6K to get a BTS. i've heard phenominal stories of their work, but its just not in my budget right now...and i really would just rather have a stick.

Good Enough 05-15-2010 05:28 PM

A buddy of mine had his built at twisted for like 3500 and its is pretty nuts. He drives his powerstroke like ferrari and that tranny loves every minute of it.

What motor do you have?
Miles?
Mods?

UrGrlGveMeDkBrn 05-15-2010 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by 69muscle (Post 6323939)
hey man...i figured you would post on this topic...(i talked to you in the past)....anyway. when i got the truck it had a "built" trans in it.. (billet converter, billet planetaries, etc)...im not sure of what had been done....but either way i just dont have $6K to get a BTS. i've heard phenominal stories of their work, but its just not in my budget right now...and i really would just rather have a stick.

Yeah I do understand

Originally Posted by Good Enough (Post 6324005)
A buddy of mine had his built at twisted for like 3500 and its is pretty nuts. He drives his powerstroke like ferrari and that tranny loves every minute of it.

What motor do you have?
Miles?
Mods?

Well I guess he had way better luck with them than me.

nftuatn 05-15-2010 07:39 PM

by the time you buy everything you listed as well as the steering column,new carpet for bigger hump,and whatever else...

it probably going to be easier to just fix this one...sell it and find a 5 speed...

Good Enough 05-16-2010 06:42 AM

OP I dont see how you go through trannys like that. Do you tow alot? Sled pull? Drag race?

Zack 05-16-2010 08:04 AM

I know the PCM from an auto and a manual are different, so you might look into wiring differences as well. You would be much better off buying a 6speed truck and selling yours.

69muscle 05-16-2010 02:13 PM

Im not selling my truck...I've dumped way too much money into it as it is so selling just to get a manual tranny truck isnt an option. I've found most of the parts i need already just in like 2 days of searching, but im holding off to hopefully hit the jackpot and buy a complete truck (possibly wrecked or blown engine, etc)

my setup is as follows.

7.3L powerstroke with 150,xxx miles, edge ez and edge evolution, k&n cold air intake, mbrp 4" turbo back exhaust, banks big head waste gate, snow performance wather/meth injection, HUGE trans cooler (like the size of a honda civics radiator). and probably a few random things i've forgotten.

i dont do alot of towing, but the truck is lifted 8" with 38's.

Good Enough 05-16-2010 04:54 PM

Driving the truck is gunna SUCK in traffic but it will be a whole lot stronger and more reliable.

PLUS you can start in like 3rd or 4th and smoke out an intersection. I guess there are perks to everything.

OP are you on PowerStroke.org?