Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

F#%$^%#$^ Cone washers on yota hubs

Old 04-28-2007, 11:17 AM
r0tard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Verbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these parts
Default F#%$^%#$^ Cone washers on yota hubs

I am rebuilding my knuckles and can't get these things out for nothing. Looks like previous owner RTV'd them in..

I have tried.......... brass drift, brass pin punch, brass chisel, screwdriver in slot, socket around wsher with BFH, PB blaster, torch and vice grips......NOT EVEN ONE HAS BUDGED!!!

ANY suggections from you yota owners.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:33 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: F#%$^%#$^ Cone washers on yota hubs

there is a set of puller pliers that work decently on them, however i always have had good luck with a socket and pop it with a hammer.

do it a few times to break them loose, then take a pick and pull them out.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:45 PM
r0tard

Verbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these parts

Do you put the socket on the cone itself? I was told a socket slightly bigger and pop it with a BFH, it didn't work. These things are a sumbitch.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:52 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

I've always had good luck with taking a dead blow rubber mallet to each side of the hub body. Then taking a pair of vise grips to the cone washers and pull them out with some twisting. You'll need to use minimal pressure with the vise grips cause if you pinch the washer too hard it will just catch on the threads and not move.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:03 AM
Registered Member

Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack

I just smack the side of the hub where it meets the brake rotor a few times while rotating it and they will pop loose.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:15 AM
r0tard

Originally Posted by glhturbo2
I just smack the side of the hub where it meets the brake rotor a few times while rotating it and they will pop loose.
I was trying to remember what you did at camp. These things are being a mofo.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Registered Member

thestoic22 has disabled reputation

You could also try smacking the stud that the cone washer is wrapped around. That has worked for me in the past. I guess the vibration of smacking the stud breaks the cone washer free. Just make sure that you are accurate with your "smacking".
Old 04-30-2007, 08:08 AM
r0tard

I am so over these fucking things....i have tried every trick and these cones will not budge... I am about to chisel them out and buy new ones.

I don't think they have ever been removed...
Old 04-30-2007, 08:46 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

haha, don't give up! They are not that bad, really. Once you get the hub knocked loose a tad bit.. they all come out rather easily. Plus I think the dealer gets like $2/each for the cone washers.

If you mess a few of them up.. I have a couple extras I can send you.. just let me know.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Engineer

varocktoy has disabled reputation

i just hit mine on top of the hub with a BFH no brass or nothing. Theres a flat spot on the hub where you hit it...

Quick Reply: F#%$^%#$^ Cone washers on yota hubs