Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

DIY Bead Locks

Old 01-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe
Default Re: DIY Bead Locks

Originally Posted by 02Xterra
Fawk yea! 10.50s on a 12" wheel would be sick Jeremy!

Oh well at least he's selling it. Maybe he decided stretched tires would look better on a civic.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe

Originally Posted by OverEasy
This is who I was going to order through, now I dunno. If/ when I do it will be from them. Great guy, talked to him a couple of times about getting some custom cuts. Check em out.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=924867
Cool, some crazy lookin designs he's made. Im kinda looking for a simpler design. But it does seem to be that his prices are cheaper hmmm...

Last edited by 97LScoupe; 01-27-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack

Originally Posted by OverEasy
Yeah, Thats my problem. I run between 4 - 8lbs in mine. Although I'm running a Samurai when the weight transfers to one side it scares me. I haven't popped a bead yet but I know I've slipped a couple. I was thinking about a set for Christmas myself. I have the same feelings about if it doesn't hold air properly. (I know if its done right it should but there is always room for error.)

I think I may get a set after the first of the year and check em out. If you get a set is your Dad going to do them for you?
To be 100% honest with you, when I had my 33x14.50 boggers on 15x10 2" backspaced wheels, I ran them at literally 5psi, daily driven. They wore even as can be, I didn't want them to wear the centers out with them having too much pressure in them with such a light truck. I didn't drive it easy, at all, and not once had an issue with losing a bead. The problem with steel beadlock wheels is they are HEAVY for a zuk. I could take off my 35 krawlers on allied beadlocks, put on 35s on aluminum rims, and it felt like I added 50hp. On the new zuk I'm building, I'll be going with some trail ready or another version of some aluminum beadlocks. Weight savings, both with rolling mass and just weight in general, is key when building samurais, or else you get away from the whole point of building a samurai and having a lightweight rig. Only plus to heavy wheels is the advantage of some added unsprung weight.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Suzuki Fanboi

OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy

Originally Posted by Zack
To be 100% honest with you, when I had my 33x14.50 boggers on 15x10 2" backspaced wheels, I ran them at literally 5psi, daily driven. They wore even as can be, I didn't want them to wear the centers out with them having too much pressure in them with such a light truck. I didn't drive it easy, at all, and not once had an issue with losing a bead. The problem with steel beadlock wheels is they are HEAVY for a zuk. I could take off my 35 krawlers on allied beadlocks, put on 35s on aluminum rims, and it felt like I added 50hp. On the new zuk I'm building, I'll be going with some trail ready or another version of some aluminum beadlocks. Weight savings, both with rolling mass and just weight in general, is key when building samurais, or else you get away from the whole point of building a samurai and having a lightweight rig. Only plus to heavy wheels is the advantage of some added unsprung weight.
Yeah Zack, I'm doing/ did the same. I run 6psi in mine in the 31s and the 33s I had. And you can ask the ones who know me and I'm not easy on it either. I'll do the same with the 34s. I've looked at the TR BL but as far as right now they are OUT of my budget lol. I agree with the weight factor also. Other than the unsprung weight they will be heavy when I step up to bigger tires. (35+) I just honestly just want to get a set of wheels with 2-2.5" of bs, air down and go! If/ when I start to have issues I'll address them then.

Thanks for your input though! Its always welcome!

Last edited by OverEasy; 01-27-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:13 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

Originally Posted by Zack
Yep, the bias ply tires because the sidewalls are so stiff are better to run lower psi on the street. I run my boggers around 15-18psi on the street and they are wearing great. I have guys asking if they are new and telling me they ride better then their MT's on the road.