Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

DIY Bead Locks

Old 11-18-2010, 06:33 AM
Ivy Tadita

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough
Default Re: DIY Bead Locks

For $160+ a wheel. I don't see how the internal locks are worthwhile. Might as well go with diy beadlocks or by a used set. I see used aluminum beadlocks for $700/set all the time.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Suzuki Fanboi

OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy

Well, the DIY ones are on sale right now. You get custom cut rings, inners and outers, hardware. All for 200 $. I already have the wheels sooo....

I'm pretty sure this is where my monies may go.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Have nice day

02Xterra 02Xterra 02Xterra 02Xterra 02Xterra 02Xterra 02Xterra 02Xterra 02Xterra 02Xterra 02Xterra

Do it
Old 12-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe

Jeremey im the same way, Ive looked and looked at the kits, considered it. But keep having second thoughts about it. I dont wanna cut up and weld up my wheels, and possibly have some messed up welds that arent air tight and then you got an old leaky wheel. I was gunna ask for them for christmas but changed my mind last minute. lol I shoulda just got em n tried them. Im tired of poppin beads and ripping valvestems off or either not having the tsl aired down enough to bite.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Suzuki Fanboi

OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy

Originally Posted by 97LScoupe
Jeremey im the same way, Ive looked and looked at the kits, considered it. But keep having second thoughts about it. I dont wanna cut up and weld up my wheels, and possibly have some messed up welds that arent air tight and then you got an old leaky wheel. I was gunna ask for them for christmas but changed my mind last minute. lol I shoulda just got em n tried them. Im tired of poppin beads and ripping valvestems off or either not having the tsl aired down enough to bite.
Yeah, Thats my problem. I run between 4 - 8lbs in mine. Although I'm running a Samurai when the weight transfers to one side it scares me. I haven't popped a bead yet but I know I've slipped a couple. I was thinking about a set for Christmas myself. I have the same feelings about if it doesn't hold air properly. (I know if its done right it should but there is always room for error.)

I think I may get a set after the first of the year and check em out. If you get a set is your Dad going to do them for you?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe 97LScoupe

Originally Posted by OverEasy
Yeah, Thats my problem. I run between 4 - 8lbs in mine. Although I'm running a Samurai when the weight transfers to one side it scares me. I haven't popped a bead yet but I know I've slipped a couple. I was thinking about a set for Christmas myself. I have the same feelings about if it doesn't hold air properly. (I know if its done right it should but there is always room for error.)

I think I may get a set after the first of the year and check em out. If you get a set is your Dad going to do them for you?
Yeah i ran about 9 in my xj all around. and there is times when i know less would help so much more, but like u said when u get pressure on that one wheel it will start leaking around the bead. And im not sure if my dad would wanna do it or not. I think it would be one of those things we might would rather have proffesionally MIG welded. He has a nice Stick welder and we have an old little gasless wire welder. But the problem with the stick welder is making sure you get a consistent air tight bead. and our litte 110 wire welder isnt hot enough for 1/4" I may try to get a friend of mine at my old work to do it for me. Kinda like ur saying if you butcher it up and dont get it right the first time you have basically dug yourself in a hole. lol
Old 12-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Suzuki Fanboi

Yeah, Thats the thing about getting them done. I KNOW Robbie could do it. Its just a time thing with him. I just don't wan't to pay out the ass to get them done. If I do, I should have just bought a set of BL wheels.

I've been on the lookout for a set of them on other Forums but everyone wants a New sell price for beat up ones.

Btw... Can you pm me the link to the Crozet site / Forum?
Old 12-28-2010, 05:55 AM
Registered Member

yeah i know how u feel i should just save up a bunch and bought eatons to begin with. but yeah ill send ya a link.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Suzuki Fanboi

Yeah.... I'm so Fu***** undecided about I want to do....

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Here's a little cheaper option I was possibly thinking about, hadfield on RCPFA told me about these... Aero Wheels its a DIY beadlocks kit, little lighter and cheaper then the ebay crawl fab kits
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEO-54-500007/

Quick Reply: DIY Bead Locks