VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Offroad / 4x4 (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/offroad-4x4-47/)
-   -   Body Lifts, Pros & Cons (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/offroad-4x4-47/body-lifts-pros-cons-399228/)

L_U_C_K 06-02-2011 09:29 AM

Body Lifts, Pros & Cons

I am thinking about putting a body lift on my truck, with future plans or suspension.

I was just trying to get some opinions of Pros and Cons of a body lift. Such as, body roll, safety, and how much damage (if any) can it do to a truck.

How well, and poor will it do with a suspention lift, and how drastically will it change the handleing of the truck.

Right now, my current ride is a 2007 Dodge ram

2.5 level in the front,
33' Nitto
Stock 20" OEM wheel.

future plan,

6" Lift
35" tires
17" Wheels

thanks,

-Luck

Ruger Dooger 06-02-2011 10:43 AM

Re: Body Lifts, Pros & Cons

I've always known body lifts to be cheap....cheap because from what I've heard, it's purely for cosmetic purposes only....someone correct me if i'm wrong.

There are things you can do with a susp lift that you can't do with a body lift. I've never owned a vehicle with a body lift so I can't say how it handles vs the susp lift. obviously it's gonna drive differently than stock height.

I also believe that you can't offroad as much *hardcore* because the body will flex because it's been sep from the frame.

I honestly would save up for the susp.

but that is my .02

Also...because the body is sep from the frame..if you get rear ended, the possiblity for more damage is there because you are essentially sep from the frame by a few blocks and bolts.

L_U_C_K 06-02-2011 10:57 AM

I agree, but I am going for more looks that Hardcore offroading.

I have also heard mixed things about the bolts and seperation if you were to get in an accident. You need to use stronger bolts and not over torque them and it will help with the issue. But that is all hear say and that is why I am asking for opinions.

Appriciate your input Joey.

OverEasy 06-02-2011 11:13 AM

Well a body lift is only good for one thing in my opinion, making room for larger tires if you want to go bigger without buying a expensive suspension lift.

I have owned a Toyota Tacoma with 3.5" of suspension and 3" body lift, both installed by me. As far as *hardcore* wheeling with it, I did. No problems. I mean I seriously beat the hell out of that truck. There are some here that will vouch on that. The truck is still being driven today by Jarrett in the Gun Thread.

I wouldn't do another body lift like that one again. The reasons being that I don't like how deep it sets the engine down in the body and the frame looks like it hangs really low after a body lift. I have had friends do body lifts to get a little extra clearance from their tires, they only went with a 1" body lift.

As far as body roll, it will. It will not affect your suspension though. Unlike a soft suspension kit rolling in corners you're just still on stock suspension w/ body roll. ( did that make since? lol)

If you intend on ever going off road with your Truck (Jeep, SUV, tracker, Samurai, Exploder, whatever you have) I would honestly save up for a suspension lift. It may be more costly than the body lift but you will be paying for something that does help performance.

If you just want something to look good, drive pretty well and only go off road rarely just to get it dirty a body lift may not be a bad idea. Although, I will say... if you body lift whatever you have and the bug (off road) bites, now you have a body lift on. If you want to get that sweet 3-4-6-8" lift now you also have to take into consideration of having a body lift + the suspension height.

I hope that makes since. If not, I'll try and explain some points better.

L_U_C_K 06-02-2011 11:18 AM

I WILL be gettin a 6" lift in the future regardless of a body lift. I was just trying to see if it is a good Idea, more of a safe idea, or not to do it.. I was thinking just a 2 inch lift and a 6" suspension in the future. But then do I have to factor in extending the driveshaft? i know (usually) you have to extend it with anything over 6" lift, but does a body lift effect that lift if it is not considered suspension?

OverEasy 06-02-2011 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by L_U_C_K (Post 7140522)
I WILL be gettin a 6" lift in the future regardless of a body lift. I was just trying to see if it is a good Idea, more of a safe idea, or not to do it.. I was thinking just a 2 inch lift and a 6" suspension in the future. But then do I have to factor in extending the driveshaft? i know (usually) you have to extend it with anything over 6" lift, but does a body lift effect that lift if it is not considered suspension?

What truck you planning on doing this to? Another thing to take into consideration is the area you live in. Some county and cities are cracking down on lift heights. They'll pull you just to see if it's over the limit and then maybe try and find something else. Happen to me a couple of times in my Blazer (4"sus, 3"bdy, 40" TSLs), it was pretty big though.

As far as a Body lift goes and safety goes, it will only be as safe as you are. I've never had ANY OH SHIT moments in either trucks that I had a BL on. Then again I didn't drive like a jackass in them either.

The drive shaft thing should only come from the lifting of the suspension. Suspension will allow the axles to move more and in return your drive shafts may not have enough slip on them to make up for it. Also, you want to make sure the pinion angles are correct or else you could end up with nasty vibes, busted yokes, broken joints. . . But that's a new bag O'worms all in itself.

A body lift is just that, a body lift. It will not affect your suspension geometry at all. It won't help you flex (it will help you clear bigger tires though). However all your brake lines, electrical lines, gas neck, steering shaft . . . (other things that are attached to the body may need to be lengthened)

L_U_C_K 06-02-2011 11:34 AM

It is for a 2007 Ram, it is in the OP.

I don't drive like a tard, and the laws around here are fine.

I didn't think about lenthning everything, Might have to take that into consideration.

I have had a busted yoke before, it was no fun.

Only think I am worried about is doing this to my truck and fucking it up. It is my bab and it make me nervous lol

OverEasy 06-02-2011 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by L_U_C_K (Post 7140565)
It is for a 2007 Ram, it is in the OP.

I don't drive like a tard, and the laws around here are fine.

I didn't think about lenthning everything, Might have to take that into consideration.

I have had a busted yoke before, it was no fun.

Only think I am worried about is doing this to my truck and fucking it up. It is my bab and it make me nervous lol

Sorry bout that, I must have just read right over the truck type.

I completely understand about it being your baby and not wanting to mess it up. Now (I think) most Body Lift manufacturers send the steering extensions, gas extensions, radiator drops, electrical relocation brackets with their kits. I wouldn't take that to the bank though. Performance Accessories is a pretty good brand and is who my last two Body Lifts came from. You could call them and see what they recommend.

Plus, if you're planning on 6" sus and a 2" BL . . . that's a total of 8" on 35" tires? It may look a little funny, you could prob run a larger tire. I would think a 6" suspension on a 07 Ram would allow 35s just fine for the occasional off road romp.

OverEasy 06-02-2011 11:44 AM

http://www.performanceaccessories.com/

irfreddy 06-02-2011 11:52 AM

sometimes it depends on the truck for the frame showing, the gen explorer i own doesnt show much frame with a 3" body lift. others looks horrid.
the only issue i see with them is the steering fron the steering wheel to the box. but most include brackets for that.

if youre jsut gonna get a suspension lift anyway, id get a 1"-1.5" body lift max. the body may sway more even tho it has nothing to do with the suspension. if the blocks move or smush in on turns it may do that a little bit.