Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

axel swaps anyone?

Old 11-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jdmchef jdmchef
Default axel swaps anyone?

ok if you look at my posts and threads youl see i have a 92 ranger. its lifted with the ttb stock front suspension. im looking to get away from this setup and swap it out with a solid axel. im not sure what size axel ill need and what all will be involvedin the swap. ive resesrched and found only pictures and just other useless shit. if anyone has any info id be grea.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough
Default Re: axel swaps anyone?

Originally Posted by jdmchef
ok if you look at my posts and threads youl see i have a 92 ranger. its lifted with the ttb stock front suspension. im looking to get away from this setup and swap it out with a solid axel. im not sure what size axel ill need and what all will be involvedin the swap. ive resesrched and found only pictures and just other useless shit. if anyone has any info id be grea.
Try a new search engine. Seriously google "Ranger SAS" and you will find gobs of info. It looks like most guys use a 44 from an earlier model bronco.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:48 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

like he said...

find an old bronco or truck and take the axles and rear leafs...

then get another set of leafs for the front..

all you have to do is mount the front eyelet solid and let the rear hang on the shackle...

its not awfully hard to do...just time consumming and yuu need a welder
Old 11-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Piss off

nissanfixer has disabled reputation

dana 44's are a pouplar swap along with using the 9" ford for your rear axle. i was going to use this setup on my dakota but never got around to it. i still have the donor frame sitting around. and hes right, its a pretty easy swap, just do reserch on the steering geometry setup. thats the only part that can get you.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:26 PM
just a little 4x4

ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck

Originally Posted by nissanfixer
dana 44's are a pouplar swap along with using the 9" ford for your rear axle. i was going to use this setup on my dakota but never got around to it. i still have the donor frame sitting around. and hes right, its a pretty easy swap, just do reserch on the steering geometry setup. thats the only part that can get you.
probably not worth the swap but i have seen a guy sas a s10 blazer with a dana 30 jeep axle
Old 11-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

jdmchef jdmchef

thanks found a bunch of stuff. i was looking at purchasing a kit what do you think about that
Old 11-28-2009, 02:30 AM
Registered Member

unclemeat has disabled reputation

I would consider swaping an Explorer 95-01 8.8 rear axle (disc brake 31-spline axle, lots of aftermarket parts available). They are cheap and plentiful.
Just make sure you match axle ratio and lug patterns. Custom work on axles is $$$.
Front axle D-30 (dana) is the cheapest.
D-44 either a early bronco high pinion or a wagoner. You can also buy a new jeep D-44 $1,800 ready to install with electric locker and disc brakes.
Full width D-44 or D-60 front and 9-inch rear.
I have even seen a few Rockwells.
The best place to get this info is therangerstation.com or explorerforum.com There is tons of info on either site.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:07 AM
just a little 4x4

ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck

Originally Posted by unclemeat
I would consider swaping an Explorer 95-01 8.8 rear axle (disc brake 31-spline axle, lots of aftermarket parts available). They are cheap and plentiful.
Just make sure you match axle ratio and lug patterns. Custom work on axles is $$$.
Front axle D-30 (dana) is the cheapest.
D-44 either a early bronco high pinion or a wagoner. You can also buy a new jeep D-44 $1,800 ready to install with electric locker and disc brakes.
Full width D-44 or D-60 front and 9-inch rear.
I have even seen a few Rockwells.
The best place to get this info is therangerstation.com or explorerforum.com There is tons of info on either site.
if gonna keep it on street i would definitely not go full width or rockwell
Old 11-28-2009, 06:32 AM
Registered Member

jdmchef jdmchef

yeah i was looking at the 44 from the bronco or jeep. no let me ask this would junkyards have these forsure or would it be better to order a new one
Old 11-28-2009, 09:13 AM
TonzAGunz

Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88

what are you doing with the truck? 8.8 is a solid option if only doing mild wheeling but if youre gonna be thrashing this thing the 9" is the way to go.

Quick Reply: axel swaps anyone?