VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Offroad / 4x4 (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/offroad-4x4-47/)
-   -   axel swaps anyone? (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/offroad-4x4-47/axel-swaps-anyone-321603/)

jdmchef 11-27-2009 06:59 AM

axel swaps anyone?

ok if you look at my posts and threads youl see i have a 92 ranger. its lifted with the ttb stock front suspension. im looking to get away from this setup and swap it out with a solid axel. im not sure what size axel ill need and what all will be involvedin the swap. ive resesrched and found only pictures and just other useless shit. if anyone has any info id be grea.

cootees 11-27-2009 07:56 AM

Re: axel swaps anyone?

Originally Posted by jdmchef (Post 5857458)
ok if you look at my posts and threads youl see i have a 92 ranger. its lifted with the ttb stock front suspension. im looking to get away from this setup and swap it out with a solid axel. im not sure what size axel ill need and what all will be involvedin the swap. ive resesrched and found only pictures and just other useless shit. if anyone has any info id be grea.

Try a new search engine. Seriously google "Ranger SAS" and you will find gobs of info. It looks like most guys use a 44 from an earlier model bronco.

nftuatn 11-27-2009 01:48 PM

like he said...

find an old bronco or truck and take the axles and rear leafs...

then get another set of leafs for the front..

all you have to do is mount the front eyelet solid and let the rear hang on the shackle...

its not awfully hard to do...just time consumming and yuu need a welder

nissanfixer 11-27-2009 02:09 PM

dana 44's are a pouplar swap along with using the 9" ford for your rear axle. i was going to use this setup on my dakota but never got around to it. i still have the donor frame sitting around. and hes right, its a pretty easy swap, just do reserch on the steering geometry setup. thats the only part that can get you.

ChevyMudtruck 11-27-2009 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by nissanfixer (Post 5858516)
dana 44's are a pouplar swap along with using the 9" ford for your rear axle. i was going to use this setup on my dakota but never got around to it. i still have the donor frame sitting around. and hes right, its a pretty easy swap, just do reserch on the steering geometry setup. thats the only part that can get you.

probably not worth the swap but i have seen a guy sas a s10 blazer with a dana 30 jeep axle :rolleyes:

jdmchef 11-27-2009 06:48 PM

thanks found a bunch of stuff. i was looking at purchasing a kit what do you think about that

unclemeat 11-28-2009 02:30 AM

I would consider swaping an Explorer 95-01 8.8 rear axle (disc brake 31-spline axle, lots of aftermarket parts available). They are cheap and plentiful.
Just make sure you match axle ratio and lug patterns. Custom work on axles is $$$.
Front axle D-30 (dana) is the cheapest.
D-44 either a early bronco high pinion or a wagoner. You can also buy a new jeep D-44 $1,800 ready to install with electric locker and disc brakes.
Full width D-44 or D-60 front and 9-inch rear.
I have even seen a few Rockwells.
The best place to get this info is therangerstation.com or explorerforum.com There is tons of info on either site.

ChevyMudtruck 11-28-2009 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by unclemeat (Post 5859618)
I would consider swaping an Explorer 95-01 8.8 rear axle (disc brake 31-spline axle, lots of aftermarket parts available). They are cheap and plentiful.
Just make sure you match axle ratio and lug patterns. Custom work on axles is $$$.
Front axle D-30 (dana) is the cheapest.
D-44 either a early bronco high pinion or a wagoner. You can also buy a new jeep D-44 $1,800 ready to install with electric locker and disc brakes.
Full width D-44 or D-60 front and 9-inch rear.
I have even seen a few Rockwells.
The best place to get this info is therangerstation.com or explorerforum.com There is tons of info on either site.

if gonna keep it on street i would definitely not go full width or rockwell

jdmchef 11-28-2009 06:32 AM

yeah i was looking at the 44 from the bronco or jeep. no let me ask this would junkyards have these forsure or would it be better to order a new one

Dubee88 11-28-2009 09:13 AM

what are you doing with the truck? 8.8 is a solid option if only doing mild wheeling but if youre gonna be thrashing this thing the 9" is the way to go.