Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

Anyone know carbs?

Old 03-02-2009, 06:04 AM
GLHF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo
Default Anyone know carbs?

Truck is an 82 toyota

Driving to work earlier I hit a dip on the interstate and it felt like I hit a damn brick wall. Now When I go to give it gas, the engine wants to bog down and putter. It starts up and Idles perfectly fine.

When taking off and putting a load on the motor I have to feather the clutch to keep it from stalling out. I was told it may be the accelerator pump so I went to replace that, took two screws out and gave it a push and it squirt gas out, so It doesn't seem bad.

Any ideas? Also, what would be a good after market carb to get for the 22r? Motor is completely stock, just exhaust.

If you think its something other than the carb, please give me your input. I'm just assuming its carb related.

Thanks for any input.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Fighterer

Abysalone will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone know carbs?

Driving to work earlier I hit a dip on the interstate and it felt like I hit a damn brick wall. Now When I go to give it gas, the engine wants to bog down and putter. It starts up and Idles perfectly fine.
This would make me think something electrical jiggled loose. If it idles fine and starts up without much hesitation the carb should be ok. Check connectors around the distributor, battery, etc.
I just find it odd the carb would mess up with a hard bump. The floats may stick or something, but that would usually cause flooding, no start issues.

heres a link to the carb info.

http://www.bluebassdesign.com/boonin/carb_faq/

the Weber 32/36 is an aftermarket carb alot of guys use, but usually because of no emissions, modding, etc.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:07 PM
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo

Originally Posted by Abysalone
This would make me think something electrical jiggled loose. If it idles fine and starts up without much hesitation the carb should be ok. Check connectors around the distributor, battery, etc.
I just find it odd the carb would mess up with a hard bump. The floats may stick or something, but that would usually cause flooding, no start issues.

heres a link to the carb info.

http://www.bluebassdesign.com/boonin/carb_faq/

the Weber 32/36 is an aftermarket carb alot of guys use, but usually because of no emissions, modding, etc.
Well my dad took a look at it, and he thinks it is flooding. Since you can slowly give it gas, and it doesn't want to bog, but if you give it gas without just slowly easing into it, then it wants to die.

How can I check to see if my floats are stuck? (Haven't read through that site you gave me yet)

Thanks for that page too. Great info.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:01 PM
GLHF

Well I read through that site and I'm going to try and motivate myself to get up in the freezing cold tomorrow and try to turn some scrrews.

I was looking at weber carbs, and I'm not sure If I need electric choke or manual choke....

Was looking at this one. http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/32_3.../22680.210.htm
Old 03-03-2009, 08:12 AM
GLHF

lol, fuel filter. seriously? Never would have thought the fuel filter would cause that big of a problem...
Old 03-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74

Makes sense. Clogged filter isn't providing enough instant flow to support the throttle position. At idle the filter can provide enough flow.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

85VWGolfer has disabled reputation

that and the yota's fuel filters are tiny any lil thing will mess them up... i was lookin at the weber for my yota with the electric choke... didnt seem to hard to put on and u get good gas mileage and a lil more power...
Old 03-03-2009, 02:45 PM
GLHF

I've been told that the Weber tends to cause the motor to die more than the stocker does on steep inclines... Dunno how true that is though...
Old 03-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Anti "DONK"

ShortyzKustomz has disabled reputation

I ran a Weber on my old Yota and never had a problem, Its one of the most common upgrades on 22rs. You're right about accelerator pumps going in those old Yota carbs, We had an 81 with a 20r and the accelerator pump and one gasket took a crap and the truck was hardly drivable. But go ahead and get on yotatech.com and read about Webers, You can get a full conversion kit for under $300 on ebay. Or can find them used for cheap too, Like I said its usually right up there on the first things to mod on a 22r, more power and much easier to deal with
Old 03-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Fighterer

Abysalone will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JDM74
Makes sense. Clogged filter isn't providing enough instant flow to support the throttle position. At idle the filter can provide enough flow.
This is probably the culprit, or the accel pump itself. Rebuild kits are dirt cheap, but if you can afford it just go with a weber.

Quick Reply: Anyone know carbs?