Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

98 midsize GMC Jimmy--advice needed.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:48 AM
still plays NES

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these parts
Default 98 midsize GMC Jimmy--advice needed.

Hopefully someone can provide insight into the situation I am dealing with with my midsize GMC Jimmy. I recently purchased some Pro Comp 15 x 8 wheels with 3.75" backspacing and had a set of BFG all terrain 30x9.5x15's put on. Went with the 30's because while they are bigger than the 275/70/15's on the stock wheels they are not too big and didnt think I would have any issues with fitment. However, the front tires hit the rear corners of the front fenders when turning.

I have already put the stock wheels back on and ordered the Suspension Maxx torsion keys as a leveling kit to lift the front 2". I plan on having them put on with an alignment soon after they get here. I jacked the truck up 2" and the 30" tires would clear the fenders but just barely. The body lift kits themselves are not pricey, its the labor cost that would be. The cheaper suspension lifts I see use torsion keys or a combo of the torsion keys and some A arm brackets to achieve about 1/2" more than just torsion keys. Even the high dollar suspension lifts dont lift more than about 3".

I am open to trimming or hammering the fenders with a bean bag and hammer, something that would not look hacked. How I can get more clearance without spending a lot more money on a getting body lift installed?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Suzuki Fanboi

OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy
Default Re: 98 midsize GMC Jimmy--advice needed.

Just cut it man. There is nothing wrong with cutting. You can trim it up and it will look fine. Now if you want to hack it up, you can do that to. IMO, I wouldn't spend any extra money to clear the little bit of sheet metal that sounds like is in the way. I'd just get rid of it all together.

There is a difference in tasteful trimming and cutting shit up.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:53 PM
still plays NES

Sheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these partsSheltoe is infamous around these parts

After doing some research I found that I can use front fenders from a ZR2 which have wider wheel wells and combined with the 2" of lift I will get from the torsion keys should do the job.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Suzuki Fanboi

OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy

Cool.