Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

97 cherokee wont start

Old 12-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Im that mutha fucka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 h22 accord has disabled reputation
Default 97 cherokee wont start

I just replaced my battery and alternator on my cherokee,but it wont start. when i jump the battery it starts fine and stays on when i take the cables off, but if I shut it down and try 2 start it up again, it wont start. any help on solving this problem asap would be greatly appreciated

:update:

ok so i took it to the dealership and they told me it was a bad starter. so i replaced the starter and the terminals again. i took the battery back to advanced auto parts and they said it was still good (1 1/2 month old battery) the truck starts up fine, but quickly shuts down. i have 2 start it up a couple of times for it to stay on. what else could it be. all the connections are fine

Last edited by 98 h22 accord; 01-19-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:52 AM
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 97 cherokee wont start

Sounds like either the starter solenoid is bad or the thick power cable to the starter is bad. They are both cheap, I would just go ahead and replace both.

Also, whats the condition of your battery terminals? You should probably replace those also, unless they look like they are in new condition.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:54 AM
just a little 4x4

ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck

sounds to me like bad connection or battery (i use to work at advance and more then one occasion i put a battery in a customer's car and it was bad right off the shelf). . . I'd rule out most anything else because when you jump it it starts . . . what does it do when you try and start it without being jumped?'

also are you jumping straight to the battery with both cables or one to the block on the jeep end

Last edited by ChevyMudtruck; 12-02-2007 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:31 AM
Registered Member

grantsmith has disabled reputation

when its running take the negative terminal off the battery and see if it stays on.. it so then its def. your battery.. if it shuts right off its your alternator
Old 12-02-2007, 07:31 AM
git down on it

judge judge judge judge judge judge judge judge judge judge judge

just use a volt meter. you can usually tell by just observing what its doing. if you need to borrow one i have an extra.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

zmrasta is on a distinguished road

i had the same problem with my 91 cherokee about a month ago. check your terminals and make sure they are tight. i know on mine that they were not tight enough and sometimes it would cut off when it would idle too low.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:27 PM
World Famous VF-14

fullsize fun is a splendid one to beholdfullsize fun is a splendid one to beholdfullsize fun is a splendid one to beholdfullsize fun is a splendid one to beholdfullsize fun is a splendid one to beholdfullsize fun is a splendid one to beholdfullsize fun is a splendid one to behold

yea don't disconnect the battery when its running ,a voltage spike can kill the ECM then your screwed.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:51 AM
Registered Member

QUICKVIII has disabled reputation

Don't disconnect the battery while the engine is running. You are asking for trouble. Use a meter to see if the alternator is charging. Needs to be between 13.8 to 14.2 volts... Right off th bat it sounds like a poor connection at the battery, but could be between the the treminal and wire as well. I would actually have to see where you placed the clamps when you jump it. Get a meter and than yell back at us.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

dirtyyoda has disabled reputation

Disconecting the battery while running is an old school trick...You know...Before computers. Dont do it!! I have been a tech for 10 years now and I am willing to bet it is the sylonoid (I know I spelled that wrong!)
Old 01-04-2008, 04:35 PM
PieceOfShitRedneck

BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco

I had the exact problem with my bronco. Do as Sam (chevymudtruck) says. Just go ahead and buy new cable connections for your battery before you buy any expensive parts. They're like 3 bucks. It will work.

Quick Reply: 97 cherokee wont start