Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

4x4 trails near harrisonburg?

Old 06-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sTohc4door has disabled reputation
Default Re: 4x4 trails near harrisonburg?

Originally Posted by unclemeat
stoch, do tell. I have not been on the trails around Hburg in a few years. What is still open. What do you think are the best trails? What condition are they in.
Well, rawley springs is supposivly is closed down that sucks, in fulksrun,va there is long run, turner run, dry river, all are different ways to go in and out of 2nd mtn, 2nd has atv trails all the way through, over the year 4x4s made there own trails the best way 2 go is mapquest dry river rd. In fulksrun go all the way the end and start going up mtn, it verys from mild to extreme hillclimbs throught out, and random mud holes that are throught out, starting at dry river and goin over the mtn and coming out off long run is about a 3 hour trip with all kinds of different hillclimbs and random mud holes, when get to the atv loading dock up there there is like 4 or 5 different trails to take and explore. Its a good all around place 2 hit the trails, I've seen jeeps from maryland, and penn. Up there so it might have details about it on the net also in harrisonburg there is big boys playground, if you haven't heard of it look it up on the net. If anybody wants more detail directions of the 2nd mtn trails pm me your number and ill tell you all about it, and maybe we can plan a trip with a couple trucks and go up one weekend
Old 06-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

sTohc4door has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by whsballin07
Anyone know why some of the trails on rt 33 west from hburg are closed? They have been blocked off with big boulders. Only one trail was open
I've heard the reason rawley springs has been blocked is because most of the trails lead throught the river and the river was getting to pollutted with gas,oil, mud, trash etc. From the trucks running throught it and everything so they closed it up, which sucks because that was the best place around with really good hill climbs and crazy deep mud holes. For example I had a 88 jeep 6in lift brand new 33 10.50 swamper I dropped into "devils bathtub" in the shallow part mud and water half way up my dash and gauge cluster. Lol I made it 5 feet..
Old 06-17-2009, 06:47 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sTohc4door
I've heard the reason rawley springs has been blocked is because most of the trails lead throught the river and the river was getting to pollutted with gas,oil, mud, trash etc. From the trucks running throught it and everything so they closed it up, which sucks because that was the best place around with really good hill climbs and crazy deep mud holes. For example I had a 88 jeep 6in lift brand new 33 10.50 swamper I dropped into "devils bathtub" in the shallow part mud and water half way up my dash and gauge cluster. Lol I made it 5 feet..
From my understanding dry river is the only one that is closed at the moment. It's probably a good thing too. That mud stunk.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Lt. Dan Lt. Dan Lt. Dan Lt. Dan Lt. Dan Lt. Dan Lt. Dan Lt. Dan Lt. Dan Lt. Dan Lt. Dan

The Salt Shed Trail is closed. The reason being because people would not follow the specified trail (see above post about good hill climbs. There are none in Salt Shed.), and they were abusing the property. Dry River trail is on National Forest land, and is still open, but unfortunately I'm going to wager that it won't be for long. ATVs are starting to run around there, and once again, people are blazing their own trails and not Treading Lightly.

My advice to anyone if you plan on hitting the trails in the National Forest is to purchase a MAP with all of the LEGAL TRAILS on it!!! An ATV trail is not a legal jeep trail just because your jeep fits. Please, stick to the legal trails, and wheel responsibly. There are others like myself that like to enjoy those trails as well......

Dan
Old 06-19-2009, 06:07 AM
Registered member

shenandoahcrwlr has disabled reputation

It wont be long until all of our trails around here in the GWNF are closed because of people that are inconsiderate and tear up places like Flagpole and Reddish Knob.It was a nice camping area up there at one time.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

Originally Posted by Lt. Dan
The Salt Shed Trail is closed. The reason being because people would not follow the specified trail (see above post about good hill climbs. There are none in Salt Shed.), and they were abusing the property. Dry River trail is on National Forest land, and is still open, but unfortunately I'm going to wager that it won't be for long. ATVs are starting to run around there, and once again, people are blazing their own trails and not Treading Lightly.

My advice to anyone if you plan on hitting the trails in the National Forest is to purchase a MAP with all of the LEGAL TRAILS on it!!! An ATV trail is not a legal jeep trail just because your jeep fits. Please, stick to the legal trails, and wheel responsibly. There are others like myself that like to enjoy those trails as well......

Dan
Thanks for posting that. To many knuckleheads are coming into the area and doing stupid things to impress their friends. If you wanna tear up land stay in your own back yard and tear that up.

Places I've gone for years are being closed because of immature people.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

civicrehab has disabled reputation

go up hanky and bushy mt near deerfeild plenty of trails out there up near the old fire tower and the lookout theres jeep trails rock crawlers and shit