Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

4x4 Pick-Up Shopping -- A few basic Questions & Advice needed

Old 06-20-2008, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4x4 Pick-Up Shopping -- A few basic Questions & Advice needed

I am starting to look for a 4x4 truck for my father, something he can take some pride in and enjoy. I am on a relatively moddest budget (5k or less), but would like to find something with some mods, maybe lifted or with some larger tires as I know he'd take the truck on hunting trips, but thats not a big priority.

I have already started looking and am trying to price out various makes and models. Seems like the smaller trucks hold their value a little better vs. the bigger ones. With gas prices as they are, that makes sense. Seems like I can get more truck if I get a full sized pick-up.

A few questions:
1) I know its all personal preference, but are their any makes or models I should stay away from?
2) I would really like a big 4x4 diesel, is the ford powerstroke the favorite, or should I consider the dodge & chevy diesels.
3) The Full Sized Gas trucks seem to be even cheaper than diesels, I think these have taken the greatest depreciation hit of any truck. Would this be a good route to go? I have seen a number of the old Ram v10's pop up cheap.

A couple more questions regarding lifted/modded trucks:
1) Are there places that specialize in alignments for lifted trucks.
2) What do you guys do when you need to change a tire, how do you go about jacking one of those things up?

Thanks in advance for the advice. Its always great to get more information from guys who are truely into the hobby, trucks, and off-roading. THANKS!
Old 06-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Registered member

evan matthews has disabled reputation
Default Re: 4x4 Pick-Up Shopping -- A few basic Questions & Advice needed

IMO 80's Chevy 1500 short bed. Look at Craigslist, people are dumping their 4X4's cheap as shit right now.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

dsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond repute

Evan: I have seen some great prices in general right now, with gas up, and the economy down, its def the time to get a good price on a truck. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Registered member

slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx

Originally Posted by dsmSPYDER
I am starting to look for a 4x4 truck for my father, something he can take some pride in and enjoy. I am on a relatively moddest budget (5k or less), but would like to find something with some mods, maybe lifted or with some larger tires as I know he'd take the truck on hunting trips, but thats not a big priority.

I have already started looking and am trying to price out various makes and models. Seems like the smaller trucks hold their value a little better vs. the bigger ones. With gas prices as they are, that makes sense. Seems like I can get more truck if I get a full sized pick-up.

A few questions:
1) I know its all personal preference, but are their any makes or models I should stay away from?
2) I would really like a big 4x4 diesel, is the ford powerstroke the favorite, or should I consider the dodge & chevy diesels.
3) The Full Sized Gas trucks seem to be even cheaper than diesels, I think these have taken the greatest depreciation hit of any truck. Would this be a good route to go? I have seen a number of the old Ram v10's pop up cheap.

A couple more questions regarding lifted/modded trucks:
1) Are there places that specialize in alignments for lifted trucks.
2) What do you guys do when you need to change a tire, how do you go about jacking one of those things up?

Thanks in advance for the advice. Its always great to get more information from guys who are truely into the hobby, trucks, and off-roading. THANKS!
Well, for 5k or less I can tell you now, your not going to touch a powerstroke, Duramax or cummins. Now, my personal prefrence is Ford, then Dodge, then chevy. chevy is ONLY in behind dodge because they still refuse to put a solid axle under there 2500 and 3500 trucks. As for the motors themselves, each has its strength and weakness. Just a little research will tell you what they are, I don't feel like going through the list. Full size gas trucks might be cheaper, but let me say this. My buddy had a 2wd 1500 dodge 4 door short bed with the hemi, all stock truck. I have a 05 Powerstroke, Lifted and on big tires. His truck got 8-10 mpg. My truck with a 500 dollar programmer gets 22-24 mpg. My truck is bigger, heavier, and much quicker still getting that much better fuel mileage. I can't say much for v10's because I don't know much about them...other than crap fuel mileage. As for changing a tire. If you have a fullsize spare big tire, then the chances of you having it in your bed all the time are slim to non. So get a jack, jack it up, and then use floor jacks or 8x8s under the Hitch reciever. As for the front just jack it up. But really, just a good heavy duty jack will get it off the ground going under neath the pumpkin.

If your looking for something like an older yota, there is one for sale near me for 5k. From what I have heard, its got a build motor, nice axles and is bad ass. But its def not a looker.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Smokin6, you got a link you could PM me with?
Old 06-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Registered member

slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx

To the yota for sale or what? Its in chesapeake, I see your in NOVA, ill try and get the phone number.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Mr.Cupcake

Zomic has disabled reputation

in the long run buying a diesel would be better for gas mileage, yea diesel is expensive these days but in the long run with the MPG you would save money
Old 06-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

MPG really isn't a concern, as the truck won't be daily driven. I do like the longevity of diesel trucks.

Thanks for everyones opinions, keep them coming.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:51 AM
Registered member

E-AT_me has disabled reputation

buy mine. 87 F150 with an inline six. gets 13-15mpg!!. hehee.

i'm a ford guy, and definately don't outrule the old inline six. it's a good motor, and stronger than a 302 v8. not to mention, they work like a dog, and the last forever..
Old 06-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Mrpatcrix88 has disabled reputation
Default 4x4 Pick-Up Shopping -- A few basic Questions & Advice needed

I've got 95 ram 2500 v10 I'm askin 3500 look at my thread

Quick Reply: 4x4 Pick-Up Shopping -- A few basic Questions & Advice needed