Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.
View Poll Results: Which 4x4 should I buy?
Toyota 4Runner
60.71%
Nissan Xterra
39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

4runner vs. Xterra

Old 07-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ninja11 has disabled reputation
Default 4runner vs. Xterra

I've been looking for a 4x4 for a while and i have decided that i want either a 4runner or an Xterra. I was wondering if anyone could help sway me to one side or the other, or tell me what to look for when I check them out. I only have $6000-7000 max to spend. All the 4runner's that i can afford have around 160k on them for around 6500 (1997-1999). All of the Xterra's have between 90 and 110 k on them for 6500 (2000-2002). I plan on going through a lot of snow during the winter when i head through the mountains to go snowboarding, and I plan on doing some light off-roading eventually. I've got a few questions about each one.

Xterra
How many miles can i expect the motor and tranny to last for if i keep up with regular maintenance?
Is there much aftermarket support for them? I plan on eventually lifting whatever i get.
What should i look for when I go look at an Xterra?
What are common problems? etc.

4Runner
I have always heard that 4runners run forever and it is pretty easy to get 300k if it is properly maintained, but is it worth buying a car with 160K + or is it too much of a gamble?
How is the aftermarket support for 4runners?
What should i look for when i go look at 4Runners/What are common problems with them? etc.

So basically which is a better deal, a lower mileage Xterra or a higher mileage 4Runner? Which will get me through some snow and light off-roading easier? which will end up being more reliable? and which will be the best for the money?
I appreciate any input you have to offer.
Thanks.

Last edited by Ninja11; 07-11-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:50 PM
tits anyone?

I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.)
Default Re: 4runner vs. Xterra

buy my 4runner, the body has 365k miles (not the motor). i will give ya a good deal. putting super swampers and a few other things on next week
Old 07-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Uno Mas

p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone

wow, in depth response there. Perhaps a little info as to what he wants to know instead of trying to sell your shit.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:16 PM
tits anyone?

I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.)

actually id go with the 4runner, not just because I own one. My dad owned a 97 and it was a great truck, never had a problem. he drove it from brand new, to 200k. as for the xterra, i cant really think of anything bad to say about those. I worked for a nissan dealer for a bit and never saw a whole lot come in with consistant problems. they both also have a pretty wide range of aftermarket parts. I just like the 4runners a little better I guess
Old 07-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie

I would personally go with something with a solid axle, but that is me. Out of the two you have listed the 4runner will hold its value better and probably has more aftermarket.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

They both have a good amount of aftermarket support but the 4runner is probably less exspensive as far as aftermarket goodies.

I like them both but I am biased and would have to choose the 4runner.

A few deciding points to consider. The xterra feels a bit underpowered while the 4runner has plenty of power and if you want more the trd superchargers are readily available.
Also the 4runner was available with a factory rear locker.

As far as what to look for... really just general stuff, leaks, frame rot, etc...
Old 07-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

Ninja11 has disabled reputation

thanks for the help so far. I've been looking at a few 4runner's and xterra's over the past few weeks and i will be looking at some more this weekend. I definitely felt a difference in acceleration between the 2.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:50 AM
git down on it

judge judge judge judge judge judge judge judge judge judge judge

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkie
I would personally go with something with a solid axle, but that is me. Out of the two you have listed the 4runner will hold its value better and probably has more aftermarket.
why the need for the solid axle, to make it drive like shit? but yea 4runner will definitely hold its value. i did hear that the earlier xterras had a lot of transmission issues.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:11 AM
Registered Member

Benz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judge
why the need for the solid axle, to make it drive like shit? but yea 4runner will definitely hold its value. i did hear that the earlier xterras had a lot of transmission issues.
solid axles are more for the offroad / rock crawling crowd as they are much more reliable and spare parts for trail fixes don't take too much time. There are also many more aftermarket upgrades that are way cheaper than IFS upgrades. Solid axles offroad act more like a lever over obstacles where a IFS will just confrom to the obstacle and not offer a lot of traction in certain circumstances...

as for ride comfort the axle has nothing to do with that its all in the shocks...my old wrangler on long arms rode like a caddy on road
Old 07-21-2010, 06:27 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

4runner will hold its value over an Xterra. Oh and who doesn't like the fact the rear window rolls down in a 4runner

Quick Reply: 4runner vs. Xterra