Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

1982 Ford Bronco Ugly Betty build

Old 03-12-2012, 06:18 AM
where are my balls!?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger
Default Re: 1982 Ford Bronco Ugly Betty build

Originally Posted by -JB-
gotta love when needle bearings go all over the place.
yeaaaaa best part is i didn't even know that it had needle bearings in it so it was a surprise when it pop'd off and a good 5 of them disappeared, found em but it was time wasted because i didn't see that there were 3 that were busted to hell. Small little bits like the pic of my hand.

haha i tried to salvage a few needle bearings from the used u joints to see if it would fit...no dice...
Originally Posted by GATOR
What was wrong with the gears he tried to put in? My guess is the ring gear was a little to big? On some ford differentials you have to grind down the housing a little.
The guy putting them in for me said it looked like the dude used a 3 lb sledge to get it out. So i'm going to do a dispute with paypal and get my money back from the guy i bought it from. and then order fresh new set of gears. Guess I'll hold off on the hooker headers for a month or two
Old 03-12-2012, 08:13 AM
where are my balls!?

Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger

Just bought the yoke from rock auto for $50 and found some G2 gears for a hell of a deal. $100 cheaper than yukons. 166 shipped in 2 days...they had a sale, with free shipping...i was allllllllll over it yay

Buddy was informed and I will be doing the swap in the beginning of april
Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

matrik matrik matrik matrik matrik matrik matrik matrik matrik matrik matrik

Rebuilt my drive shafts too, wish I had that nifty tool you hook to your impact...

I lucked out and my CV was in great shape.

Looks like it's coming together though...keep it up!

I'll most likely be tearing into mine this weekend as well. Gotta replace the U-bolts, one decided to slip while making a u-turn, not too bad though. And planning on dropping the tank and putting in a new fuel sender I have sitting around. Debating spending some dough and picking up new 6inch springs for the rear, to replace the stockers on blocks the old owner put on, and replacing a slightly rusted spring hanger... it's always something right?
Old 03-13-2012, 05:41 AM
where are my balls!?

Originally Posted by matrik
Rebuilt my drive shafts too, wish I had that nifty tool you hook to your impact...

I lucked out and my CV was in great shape.

Looks like it's coming together though...keep it up!

I'll most likely be tearing into mine this weekend as well. Gotta replace the U-bolts, one decided to slip while making a u-turn, not too bad though. And planning on dropping the tank and putting in a new fuel sender I have sitting around. Debating spending some dough and picking up new 6inch springs for the rear, to replace the stockers on blocks the old owner put on, and replacing a slightly rusted spring hanger... it's always something right?
Glad to hear your CV was in good shape! Def a pain in the rear! get it? haha

I picked this up at harbor frieght...it was an open box discount...so i got it for 39.00
http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...kit-38335.html

worth every penny...just in time and hassel alone. And I know i'll be doing the u joints and ball joints more than once in my lifetime..very sturdy tool. Just use an impact like i did...because turning a wrench with it is not gonna happen. Ask me how i know
Old 03-13-2012, 06:13 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

Or anyone thats what to save money an do a DIY ujoint tool

take a c clamp
http://www.tractorsupply.com/larin-c...throat-3893054

Cut off the T, weld a large nut onto the end.

Or like me I plan on buying a press because you can use it for so many other things.
http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-...ess-33497.html

It's funny they charge $60 for a ujoint kit when it doesn't take that much to make one.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:18 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Or anyone thats what to save money an do a DIY ujoint tool

take a c clamp
http://www.tractorsupply.com/larin-c...throat-3893054

Cut off the T, weld a large nut onto the end.

Or like me I plan on buying a press because you can use it for so many other things.
http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-...ess-33497.html

It's funny they charge $60 for a ujoint kit when it doesn't take that much to make one.
I normally just use a hammer. But to be honest I wouldn't even waste time with a press. Half the time you can't even use it for what you want to use it for. It's either to big or you can get the right angle. We have three at our shop and don't use any of them .
Old 03-13-2012, 06:38 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

I use a hammer and a bench vice to do my joints as well. Thought maybe a press would be good..........but I have access to one at a shop a couple miles down the road so I'll probably hold off on one as well.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

I use a hammer and a bench vice to do my joints as well. Thought maybe a press would be good..........but I have access to one at a shop a couple miles down the road so I'll probably hold off on one as well.
I wish I had that tool, because in the end I had to drop the driveshafts off at Standard truck parts and they redid both drive shafts for me. Had them balanced, cleaned up, and new u-joints throughout. Was going to have the CV replaced, but it was in great shape. I BEAT the crap out of those u-joints with a big f-in hammer and a vice and they barely budged at all. If I had a press, would have been super easy
Old 03-21-2012, 03:22 AM
where are my balls!?

So as the days get longer, and nicer it seems. I get the itch to do some work outside and enjoy it.

Yesterday was no exception, I brought all the tools out to the truck *i keep them inside now since people are just that....people. I don't want my $pecial babies under someone else's hood.

Had the option of finishing the drive shaft with the CV joint/bearing, or try and spruce up the amount of stuff in the back of my truck.

Well I did a little spring cleaning then used some brackets i got off another forum member to help out with the striker bolt latches fit into the tailgate properly.

Unfortunately my tailgate hardware seemed to take a little vacation and hasn't come back yet. I don't know how I messed it up...if i messed it up. But ALAS! I have pics

I took the old tailgate out from the back of the truck **takes up a lot of space!**

Decided to salvage what good metal i could from it and i could use it as patches here and there.

I only have a Ryobi cordless sheet metal cutter...and the batteries die after about a total of 2 1/2 minutes of going to town on it. Going to Home depot today and picking up a $40 corded one. Hopefully make short work out of it.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:40 AM
Registered Member

Where did you get your new tailgate from? I need to find a white one with glass...

Quick Reply: 1982 Ford Bronco Ugly Betty build