Notices
NOVA/DC/MD We've expanded our NOVA forum to include the Greater DC Metro area as well as southern Maryland. Come on in and join our community!

Yet another "new here" thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:12 AM
ultraspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amuze has disabled reputation
Default Re: Yet another "new here" thread

Originally Posted by daveyfx
Fair Lakes mini-meet? Maybe at Red Robin so we can all get drunk and Godzilla stomp all the little kids there.

Lol. That place is a nightmare.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:44 AM
On like donkey kong.

incog2forty has disabled reputation

i would think fairlakes meets would get busted up. fairfax cops are bunch of fkin nazis
Old 06-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Shisno

flohtingPoint is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by incog2forty
sweet coupe dude. u said ure runnin 1 bar off the t25?

yea from what i heard sr's will not pass va emissions. do u have a cat on?

you could... find another coupe from your year and ... u kno.
just a suggestion.
Yea, when I got back from Germany I rebuilt the stock T25. I tooled around with it and it ran a bar stable. I never had a chance to really stress-test it, as it went right back into storage when I got my job on the east coast and it's been there for two years =/
Old 06-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

Sweet rides dude...

Roanoke doesn't do emissions... As long as you have a cat and a muffler you're alright...
Old 06-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Shortbus never came.

HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway

Nice cars man! It's good to see another AE86 guy here!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Shisno

Originally Posted by HerNameIsSway
Nice cars man! It's good to see another AE86 guy here!
Much appreciated. Yea, if things go the way I want them to, I'll land another job over in Europe and be able to nab another front end swap for my 86 and get rid of my SR20DET in my S13 and replace it with a CA18DET.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Bath salt trippin'

Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon

Why would you replace an SR with a CA? I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of finding parts from an engine that's almost 20 years old.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Shisno

Originally Posted by Junon
Why would you replace an SR with a CA? I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of finding parts from an engine that's almost 20 years old.
So many reasons...

-CA is an iron block motor, ring failure just requires a cleanup pass. On a SR, you'll eat your block.

-Cam over valve instead of the garbage rocker arm setup the SR uses. My shift point on my CA back in Germany was 8.5k rpms. Attempt that on an SR w/out extensive work done and you'll dismember your valvetrain.

-Timing belt instead of the chain that SR's use.

-No oil starvation issues or rampant CAS failures.

In short, the CA is just a far superior engineered motor than the SR. When Nissan was pumping out SR's, they were in a down period so they did a lot of things to cut costs, which resulted in a fragile motor. Outside of a 4ag, the CA is one of the most technically sound motors I've ever wrenched on. The abuse I put CA's though from racing on Nurburgring/Hockenheimring/Bitburg would trash an SR.

I did my SR swap on my S13 here in the states over half a decade ago. I was very ignorant on CA's at that time and didn't do my homework. I had just blown up my KA-T and was in a hurry to get my car back on the road when an SR basically fell into my lap (someone fell through after putting down a deposit on a front end clip, so I got mine at a discount price).

Parts aren't that hard when you've been immersed in the community for quite some time. Replacement OEM parts are a phone call away to several direct contacts I have at Nissan EU from meeting them at Nurburgring and the test center they have there. Performance parts and used parts can be tracked down using several sources, either the folks at NICO or the folks at Zeroyon. Beyond that, manifolds/downpipes can be fabricated and use whatever turbo you see fit. Transmissions can be harvested from KA's and a bellhousing swap. Exhaust is the exact same as SR/KA dimensions/bends. Same Z32 MAF swap can be used that's popular with SR folks.