VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   NOVA/DC/MD (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/nova-dc-md-16/)
-   -   Shooting Range Review: Elite Shooting Sports, Manassas VA (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/nova-dc-md-16/shooting-range-review-elite-shooting-sports-manassas-va-487452/)

sidewaysil80 11-16-2014 08:53 AM

Shooting Range Review: Elite Shooting Sports, Manassas VA

I took the time to go to Elite Shooting Sports today in order to add my wife to my membership. It was my first time there as I purchased the membership prior to their grand opening and wasn't sure what to expect. I was blown away by the overall classiness of the establishment as well as the politeness and lack of "stuck up" mentality among the employees; I felt compelled to write a brief review and share my initial thoughts.
As far as the review itself goes...be gentle, its my first time :fie:

Elite Shooting Sports (ESS) is located in Manassas, VA is hands down the most comprehensive and nicest indoor range in Northern Virginia and perhaps beyond. The owner was a 15yr NRA employee and was the head manager of the NRA range in Fairfax VA. In addition he has been shooting competitively for 25yrs and is an IPSC and IDPA Grand Master. It is apparent he used all of his experience from the NRA range and "what works and doesn't" when designing this facility. More importantly it seems he applied that same experience and logic to the facilities policies. A range's policies can be just as important as the facility itself in terms of their success and it's evident the owner is very pro 2A and eager to introduce new people to the sport.

*Being 65,000sq ft Elite Shooting Sports offers much more than just shooting lanes including: A retail/pro shop, full service cafe, full time gunsmith, simulator room, dojo, various classrooms, lounge/sitting areas, a metric crap ton of lockers, and tons of bathrooms. Oh yea, and a two story live fire shoot house for civilian classes and mil/leo training...
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...ps427da0d0.jpg

(Below was a rendering but as you can see above its identical in real life, just the shelves/inventory aren't fully stocked yet
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3edbea10.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...psa97a1828.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4a9bcfdc.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...d.jpg~original

*Speaking of shooting lanes ESS has the following: (24) 25yd lanes, (10) 50yd lanes, and (8) 100yd lanes...
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5fe568cd.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3a7efc14.jpg

*Range hours have been an inconvenience for me in the past due to my rotating days off and working nights. This isn't the case with ESS...
Monday-Sunday 8:00am-10:00pm
(0800-2200 for you rank and file folks)

*Their annual memberships and daily rates are very affordable and they even offer a month to month membership...
Hourly
$20/hr 25yd and 50yd ranges
$25/hr 100yd range
$10/hr for each extra person (max of 3 per lane)
Minor under the age of 18 sharing a lane shoot for free
(Little touches like this separate them from other ranges in the area)
ANNUAL
$350/yr ($50 for each family member)
$300/yr Mil/LEO/Fire Fighter (same family member rate)

*Things that stood out...
-Staff was very very nice, I simply asked an employee where a range was and he questioned if it was my first time there. Upon answering yes he took me and my wife on a tour of the entire facility.

-The massive excerpt from the Second Amendment as a focal point

-They allow all NFA items and full auto fire (they do reserve the right to verify paperwork)

-Can draw from strong side and appendix holsters

-I asked about chronograph use and one of the RSO explained not only was that acceptable, but part of the initial planning. You simply call ahead and give them a heads up and they will make provisions for you to setup your chronograph.

-Multiple targets are allowed on each lane, provided they are eye level

-Handwash stations outside of every range bay

-Hardwood floors and granite everywhere...classy!

Yardjass 11-16-2014 09:04 AM

Re: Shooting Range Review: Elite Shooting Sports, Manassas VA

Holy fucking, fuck. That's a nice lookin' place :thup:

Roxtar 11-16-2014 05:18 PM

Shot there on saturday and can confirm, the nicest place I've ever shot at, and the staff was awesome.

ILLEGAL 11-16-2014 10:25 PM

I cant wait to go!

A34 11-17-2014 08:15 AM

This is actually very close to me, I'll have to check it out one day!

K-DUB_EG 11-17-2014 08:49 PM

Holy shit thats the nicest range I've ever seen. Definitely checkin it out

boostedvenge 11-18-2014 03:25 AM

Seeing as I am now back in Manassas, this is a real "win" for me. Looking to take my dad (he hasn't shot ANYTHING in 50+ years) and reintroduce him. Nice review!

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 11-26-2014 03:00 PM

ANYTHING to avoid Clarks Bros. They'll never get my money again.

sidewaysil80 11-26-2014 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY (Post 8328445)
ANYTHING to avoid Clarks Bros. They'll never get my money again.

Why? Bad experience, I'm assuming.

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 11-26-2014 06:26 PM

Owners are dicks, prices are ridiculous and they make you buy ammo there.

Went there with my uncle once, who has CP and they were openly laughing at him and loudly making jokes about him.

It's my understanding that Mr. Clark was cool and the range was different but since his sons took over it has become what it is today.

Rosco The Iroc 11-28-2014 03:43 PM

Damm! That place is sweet!

eXploited 11-29-2014 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY (Post 8328487)
Owners are dicks, prices are ridiculous and they make you buy ammo there.

Went there with my uncle once, who has CP and they were openly laughing at him and loudly making jokes about him.

It's my understanding that Mr. Clark was cool and the range was different but since his sons took over it has become what it is today.

Yup!!! My old man has been going to Clark Brothers since they opened.. The guy openly told us we were NOT allowed to shoot suppressors at the range because of ATF laws that prevent the use of Class III weapons or attachments at Public Ranges without ATF being notified... FUCK Clark Brothers

BadDriver 12-02-2014 02:42 AM

Range looks great. The $10 fee for an extra shooter in the lane is kind of lame though. Is that becoming normal at private ranges?

boostedvenge 12-02-2014 06:32 AM

Went with some friends on Sunday. Very helpful and friendly staff, prices are on-par for pretty much everywhere else in the area, extremely clean, and overall a very pleasant experience. I will likely be getting a membership if I don't move anytime soon.

SyedUmarAhmad 12-04-2014 12:44 PM

this establishment is in manassas you say?
never would have guessed that judging by the pics

sidewaysil80 12-04-2014 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by SyedUmarAhmad (Post 8330798)
this establishment is in manassas you say?
never would have guessed that judging by the pics

Technically Gainesville, that explains the look lol.

eXploited 12-05-2014 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 (Post 8330815)
Technically Gainesville, that explains the look lol.

HAHAHA true that..

I called, asked about shooting with my Suppressor and they advised I would have to coordinate the range use and have a range master standing behind me while I shoot..... What in the fuck? Did you have any issues with Class III use?

boostedvenge 12-05-2014 05:34 AM

We had zero issues. Multiple firearms suppressed, multiple SBR's, even had a guy in another lane going FA. No issues and a range master rarely walked through. Just make sure you have your paperwork with you, and they don't care.

eXploited 12-05-2014 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by boostedvenge (Post 8331009)
We had zero issues. Multiple firearms suppressed, multiple SBR's, even had a guy in another lane going FA. No issues and a range master rarely walked through. Just make sure you have your paperwork with you, and they don't care.

Roger that!

sidewaysil80 12-06-2014 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by eXploited (Post 8331000)
I called, asked about shooting with my Suppressor and they advised I would have to coordinate the range use and have a range master standing behind me while I shoot..... What in the fuck? Did you have any issues with Class III use?

I think that person was new or misunderstood you. Those are the parameters for shooting full auto in their facility. As someone mentioned just have your stamp with you and enjoy. You don't have to check in or notify them of that you'll be using an NFA item. You just have to be willing to present the paperwork on request.

eXploited 12-06-2014 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 (Post 8331225)
I think that person was new or misunderstood you. Those are the parameters for shooting full auto in their facility. As someone mentioned just have your stamp with you and enjoy. You don't have to check in or notify them of that you'll be using an NFA item. You just have to be willing to present the paperwork on request.

Roger that!!

P.S. the stock is in... now just waiting on the scope and rings.. Wanna hit this range together soon!?

EYOU10 04-13-2015 06:13 PM

Never been there. Cant wait to check it out. I shoot most outdoor competitions.

eXploited 04-15-2015 04:24 AM

Make sure you ask for the Long range Precision range if you plan to shoot 100 yards with you rifle..

YOU CAN SHOOT PRONE!!! Just pull the bench out and put it against the wall..