Notices
Motorcycles & Parts Anything with 2 wheels and related parts.

'79 Honda XL500S (Feeler...)

Old 08-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BrapSlap BrapSlap BrapSlap BrapSlap BrapSlap BrapSlap BrapSlap BrapSlap BrapSlap BrapSlap BrapSlap
Default FS/FT: '79 Honda XL500S Enduro

Name: Matt
Means of contact: Call or Text 252-339-2216
Price: $800 Pretty firm, but would rather trade for gas saver. Can add a little cash on top but looking for something cheap.

Description:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE riding this thing but I will be starting a new job nearly 50 miles from home soon and need something small to drive back and forth. Can't afford insurance on so many vehicles, so this must go. Would LOVE to trade for something small and good on gas. Not too picky but would like five speed and not a big fan of GM products. Text me with what you have if interested.

The bike currently has a little over 9,000 miles on it. Kick start only, 500 air cooled, six volt, super light (less than 300lbs), awesome torque. Handles highway speeds nicely. All I have done since buying the bike other than ride it is adjust the valves, replace battery and headlight, remove turn signals, and replace fenders with newer UFO plastics for a newer model bike. I do have ALL of the original parts.

I've had it on the highway, in the city, and in the sand and I LOVE this thing. Doesn't like city riding being air cooled. Slow and stop and go traffic is where it smokes the most. Really can't believe I'm putting it up for trade but I need something to drive back and forth to my new job. Comes with original owner's manual and vintage repair manual.

NEW as of 7/13

OEM Honda Headlight
Battery (From Honda)
OEM Tappet Cover O-Rings (with valve adjustment)
Spark Plug (8/25)

The Bad:

Ticks pretty bad
Smokes (it's a '79)
Uses/Leaks Oil (again...it's a '79)
May need chain soon
Skip in first gear (don't know)
PO Chicken striped the hell out of rear tire

That being said, I have taken this thing on several 200-300 mile rides with no problem. I had planned on running this motor and swapping an XR600 motor in it if it ever blew up. (XL/XR are the same, XR's used a lighter flywheel)

The Good:

Clean clear title in my name
Starts right up
All factory wiring is intact
Clarke oversized tank
Lots of torque
Antique (In NC anyway....no more inspections)
It's a Honda...

Pictures:

Last edited by BrapSlap; 09-10-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BrapSlap BrapSlap BrapSlap BrapSlap BrapSlap BrapSlap BrapSlap BrapSlap BrapSlap BrapSlap BrapSlap
Default Re: '79 Honda XL500S (Feeler...)

TTT who's got a beater for trade?