Notices
Import - ASIA Vehicles from Japanese, Korean, Chinese(?) manufacturers go here.

1989 Toyota Supra Turbo Targa - Ignite Soul Supra - Raleigh, NC

Old 03-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks Olaf.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rtrdpenguin has disabled reputation
Default 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo Targa - Ignite Soul Supra - Raleigh, NC

Marco Hsu
rtrdpenguin@gmail.com
Raleigh, NC

PRICE: $6000 OBO

1989 Toyota Supra Turbo Targa (Gray Metallic Clearcoat)
~193k miles on the cluster
~70k miles on engine

Before anyone says anything, the price is negotiable. If it does not sell as a whole I will simply part it out.

Ok, here's the deal. I have to sell my Supra. I have taken care of it and it is extremely important to me, so I hate to see it go. I am a full-time student and cannot afford to keep this car up anymore. I will be completely straightforward with you; this car is not in perfect shape, it has seen track time and has wear and tear to show for it.

You may have seen it around on various blogs and drifting coverage. It was even a SupraMania calendar car before I began to track it. However, everything that is important is in great shape because I have made sure it is always mechanically sound and track-worthy.

It might not be the prettiest but it does the job. I drive this car over 6 hours to the track, drive it all day on track, and back home without issues. However, recently I believe the head gasket has started to leak and I have no money left to fix it.

Here's the short version:

Rebuilt 7M-GTE, stock CT26 ~320 rwhp
HKS metal head gasket/ARP studs
Full A/N lined thermostatic oil cooler circuit with filter relocation
New coolant and vacuum lines, new plug wires/plugs, improved ignition system grounding

3" turbo-back exhaust
2.5" intercooler piping and aftermarket FMIC

Walbro 255 lph fuel pump w/ 12V wiring
Aeromotive AFPR with AN lines from fuel rail to hardlines
HKS 550cc injectors, new o-rings seals and filters
HKS VPC with 550cc chip
Apexi S-AFC II
Innovative LC-1 wideband with turbo timer digital display
Prosport water temperature, oil pressure, and boost gauges

Driver's side racing seat
Nagisa Auto sliding seat rail
TRD weighted leather shift knob
TRD/Nardi steering wheel with quick release

Stance GR+ coilovers with ~20k miles
Stance steering angle kit with bumpsteer correction and spherical bearings
New brake rotors and Axxis/PBR metal masters pads all around
(4) Polished/refinished 16x9 +0 Starion SHP wheels with 225/50/r16 tires all around. Very rare.

The head gasket likely just started leaking because it smokes white smoke out of the exhaust, but only sometimes. It will run perfectly fine most of the time, but once in a while it will run rough and start smoking quite a bit. I can't guarantee it's the head gasket but if I had to guess I'd bet it's leaking. I believe the cause of this is because I nearly overheated the engine for a short period of time (max temp was 220 deg F on the water temp gauge). You may be able to get away with a retorque or a new machined head and cleaned block with a new head gasket, but I would definitely recommend a full rebuild or JZ swap (this car would be an excellent candidate for a 1JZ/2JZ!) for peace of mind.

The engine was rebuilt about 70k miles ago and has been running strong on a stock CT-26 turbo since it was rebuilt. All new toyota bearings/pistons/rings/gaskets/seals etc were used, and an HKS metal head gasket and ARP head studs were installed with the proper machining.The car currently has a Walbro 255lph fuel pump with 12V wiring replacing the factory voltage-switch system for ease of tuning and consistent fuel flow. An aeromotive AFPR and A/N lines and fittings have been installed from the fuel rail to the hardlines.

The oil cooler system has been replaced with a full thermostatically controlled circuit with an oil filter relocation, 180 deg thermostat, AN lines and fittings all around, and a Long oil cooler. The cooler has wear but does not leak, and I can include a new Earl's cooler of the same size with the car.

The clutch in the car is an ACT 6-puck with the HD pressure plate. The shifter bushings are all new Marlin Crawler nylon units and new pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and bolts were installed with the clutch and flywheel. It has never slipped on me and will last for a very long time even with heavy abuse. Redline MT-90 has been run in this transmission since I have owned it. The LSD is a 3.73 ratio out of a 30k mile 1992 MKIII Supra with fresh fluid in it. It locks very well for a stock LSD.

The car currently has 3" turbo-back exhaust (RS-R GTII, discontinued and rare exhaust), 2.5" aluminium charge pipes and a front mount intercooler. It also is running perfectly on an HKS VPC with 550cc injectors and an S-AFC II and Innovate LC-1 wideband for tuning. With a 57 trim CT-26 upgrade you could do 400 rwhp on this, and with a T4 turbo even more. There is also an HKS EVC II electronic boost controller installed.

A genuine TRD weighted shift knob, Nagisa Auto seat rail with driver's side racing seat, and rare TRD/Nardi steering wheel with quick release are included. I also have prosport boost, water temp, and oil pressure gauges installed in the A-pillar and an aftermarket radio/LED gauge cluster, and other little things.

I have the complete interior with rear seats and hatch carpet and everything that will be included with the car. All of it is in good shape.

The car is on Stance GR+ coilover suspension (cost me over $1200 about 20k miles ago) and has new brakes and PBR metal masters pads all around. The parking brake however is worn and will not lock on steep hills.

The frame is honestly rust free -- not even the "dogleg" inside the rear wheel well has rust on it. The frame is completely straight and has never seen damage. All the suspension components are still in good shape. Cosmetically the paint and body could use some work: The body of the car has a dent in the rear passenger quarter panel, a small dent in the driver's side door, and the metal is wrinkled on the edges of both front fenders. The front and rear bumpers have scuffing and rock chips. The driver's side mirror has been repainted. The front lip is an aftermarket unit and not in great shape, but a stock front lip can be included. I have the factory 3-piece wing that will also be included with the car.

Pictures of car, most recent first (first one is from 3 days ago):

Last edited by rtrdpenguin; 03-22-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1
Default Re: 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo Targa - Ignite Soul Supra - Raleigh, NC

Absolutely love it. Best of luck with the sale man, nice to finally see an old Supra with some personality.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:47 AM
Boost LeRoy

blksylv blksylv blksylv blksylv blksylv blksylv blksylv blksylv blksylv blksylv blksylv

nice car i remember seeing it at vir a couple of times, have you thought about getting a leakdown test on it to confirm whether or not its the headgasket
Old 03-23-2011, 06:56 AM
Thanks Olaf.

rtrdpenguin has disabled reputation

Oh yeah, I plan on doing compression/leakdown. It's just lately I have no money and no time and this being my only car is just not working out right now... I hate to see it go
Old 03-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

1nastydsm has disabled reputation

trade for a 98 dodge dakota rt 360 112xxx pm me if you want pics etc
Old 06-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

Sgood99si has disabled reputation

Beautiful engine bay! check my thread, interested in my si?
Old 06-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

murphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these parts

it's the headgasket... it's a 7m haha

GLWS
Old 06-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

rdmoody has disabled reputation

check thread want to trade.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

rt.fontes has disabled reputation

Awesome supra man. What kind of lip is that?
Old 06-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Mint Chocolate

vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd

Umm.. W0000W. Beautiful car! Enough said