Notices
The Help Desk Consolidation of Rules, FAQ, Feedback, Discussion, News, and Suggestions.

Suggestion: Can we make Serial numbers mandatory int he FS section?

Old 03-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Stuck on I-66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot
Default Suggestion: Can we make Serial numbers mandatory int he FS section?

Just a suggestion.. for example If someone is going to post up an iPod for sale, they should have no qualms with posting up the Serial number that comes embedded in the iPod itself. That way, we can help curb the amount of stolen merchandise being sold on the internet. Same goes with Stereo's and other electronic equipment. I understand that VIN#'s are a little more sensitive on things like cars trucks and bikes due to the fact that people can pull addresses and stuff from the VIN number.. but.. hey we have to start somewhere.

So.. would making the Serial number Mandatory on FS posts be completely out of the question?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:20 AM
el oh el

JAPCO JAPCO JAPCO JAPCO JAPCO JAPCO JAPCO JAPCO JAPCO JAPCO JAPCO
Default Re: Suggestion: Can we make Serial numbers mandatory int he FS section?

I understand where you are coming from but why can you just ask whoever is selling the item to send the serial numbers to you in a pm?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:25 AM
#Trendy

Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio

Doubt it will happen.. Some people just seem like they dont wanna make a sale...
Old 03-30-2009, 08:35 AM
1/2 man 1/2 amazing

specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154

Originally Posted by Audio
Doubt it will happen.. Some people just seem like they dont wanna make a sale...
most people can't evenly properly define the item they are attempting to sell or take pictures of it. i would agree with the above post, you should just pm the seller.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:38 AM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

Great idea. I think you should go farther and require a photo of the serial number so someone couldn't just make one up. If they can't figure out how to post a picture then they shouldn't be selling shit on the Internet.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Stuck on I-66

TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot

well thats exactly what im getting at... if your post doesnt have the required information.. it gets sent to the gas chamber.. enough thread deletes and people will get the point...

either way.. only real reason why I ask is I've had some stuff stolen out of my car recently in the NoVA area.. and its a fairly common item (iPod) i've been scouring everywhere, H-T, Craigslist, here, you name it.. and i'm seeing ALOT of iPods and Car CD players and stuff, and noone is thinking to ask for the S/N on these items. I guess people don't want to know if what they are buying in good faith is a stolen item or not.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:23 AM
FACK YER ESS PEE OHH

all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's

Originally Posted by JDM_EJ2
I guess people don't want to know if what they are buying in good faith is a stolen item or not.
no, i just dont care

BUT...that is a really good idea though, it would definatly crack down on the sales of stolen items
Old 03-30-2009, 11:28 AM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

Originally Posted by JAPCO
I understand where you are coming from but why can you just ask whoever is selling the item to send the serial numbers to you in a pm?
Winnar!

If someone doesn't want to provide you with information about something they're selling, DON'T BUY FROM THEM.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:38 AM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

Originally Posted by eng
Winnar!

If someone doesn't want to provide you with information about something they're selling, DON'T BUY FROM THEM.
The point is that it will make it easier to locate stolen property and to help driven keep stolen property from being exchanged on this site. If you are trying to locate something that was stolen would it be easier to search for your serial or have to contact every person individually to ask for a picture of the serial? And if it's stolen why would they send it? Seems like a great idea to me.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Stuck on I-66

Originally Posted by vmspionage
The point is that it will make it easier to locate stolen property and to help driven keep stolen property from being exchanged on this site. If you are trying to locate something that was stolen would it be easier to search for your serial or have to contact every person individually to ask for a picture of the serial? And if it's stolen why would they send it? Seems like a great idea to me.
exactly.. this was the point I was trying to make..

Quick Reply: Suggestion: Can we make Serial numbers mandatory int he FS section?