Notices
The Help Desk Consolidation of Rules, FAQ, Feedback, Discussion, News, and Suggestions.

Member Journal Section??

Old 05-09-2010, 07:56 AM
LXRY STI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik
Lightbulb Member Journal Section??

I was just wondering what everyone thought of the idea of a Member's journal section? It would be a place where members could make one thread about their ride and talk about their build or their story behind it, post pics (and update pics) etc. I know there has been many times that I have taken new pictures of my car and wanted to post them, but why make a new thread? I could just add it to my journal and take up less space.....it would reduce the amount of repeat "Look how far I am on my build now" and "I took new pics" threads in eye candy. Just a thought

Here is kinda like what I mean.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-members-journals/
Old 05-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall
Default Re: Member Journal Section??

My opinion:

Nobody is going to look through journal's. The only ones that would get looked at are the people that have cars worth the attention. Nobody cares about the new catback that Joe Blow just put on his 240SX.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:53 PM
LXRY STI

SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik

I beg to differ. EXACTLY nobody cares about the new catback that Joe Blow just put on his 240sx......why make a thread about it? The journal section would serve as a place people can talk about their car in ONE thread.....not hey I took pics of my car thread, then 2 months down the road.....hey look how far my build is coming, then 2 days later....hey look at my new wheels. People are cloggin up the galley section with new threads. If everyone just made one thread and then added on to it whenever they wanted it would be much nicer. Then if I didn't care about Joe Blow's 240sx I wouldn't open his journal thread......hard? No? I don't make a new thread everytime I take new pics and want to add them. I add them to another gallery thread I had...be it 2 days old or 2 years old. Why make a new thread? There are people that post things and then a few months later make a completely new thread for no reason.

Did you even look at the link I provided for an example. I think it is a great idea.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Keeping It Real !!

ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer

It is a good idea and it can be part of maybe a subsection in the automotive gallery however, if you look at the automotive gallery as it is now, the majority of the threads are "member journal" type threads although its spread out. The Subaru link you posted has primarily only GR Series STi models journals so it is very efficient to monitor that sections. However, in our case we have all makes and models which causes it to be a continues "busy" section. We would have to make sub categories of that subsection in regards of dividing the makes. This is alot of work and monitoring that will need to follow to get it done. If we just make a general "member journal" section under the automotive gallery it would just be as it is now in the automotive gallery and in that case it won't have any use. Although,we could add "prefixes" in wise of choosing "car makes or models" in that subsection but then again we can just add these prefixes in the automotive gallery now to make it a bit more organized. What do you think ?

If the admins do decide to do it, it will always be for a good reason.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:59 PM
LXRY STI

uh, yea. But I'm thinking it is a little more simple than you are making it sound. iwsti was just an example on how the journals would look. You don't have to divide it into makes and models.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:09 AM
Registered Member

IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN

Something like this?

http://www.drivethruonline.com/products/dto_garage.php
Old 05-10-2010, 05:58 AM
LXRY STI

Yes.....like that
Old 05-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Registered Member

3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall 3xNakedCall

Originally Posted by SubieChik
I beg to differ. EXACTLY nobody cares about the new catback that Joe Blow just put on his 240sx......why make a thread about it? The journal section would serve as a place people can talk about their car in ONE thread.....not hey I took pics of my car thread, then 2 months down the road.....hey look how far my build is coming, then 2 days later....hey look at my new wheels. People are cloggin up the galley section with new threads. If everyone just made one thread and then added on to it whenever they wanted it would be much nicer. Then if I didn't care about Joe Blow's 240sx I wouldn't open his journal thread......hard? No? I don't make a new thread everytime I take new pics and want to add them. I add them to another gallery thread I had...be it 2 days old or 2 years old. Why make a new thread? There are people that post things and then a few months later make a completely new thread for no reason.

Did you even look at the link I provided for an example. I think it is a great idea.
Yes, I did look at the link.

I should have elaborated a bit more on my post. As I said before, nobody cares about the new exhaust system somebody just added to a car, so I agree, they shouldn't make a thread because nobody cares about it.... and to go with it, nobody is going to bother looking in their journal either. We seem to agree here.

Now say that somebody is going through a major project and converting their car to RHD, I'd like to see a thread about this. I agree with you that people shouldn't create new threads for every little thing that they do to their car (wheels, tires, whatever). Because I'm not going to spend time browsing peoples journals though, I'd never see the RHD conversion. I think this holds true for other people too, they'd like the information brought to them in the form of a thread, rather than just happening to stumble upon this while browsing journals.

This is just my opinion and I obviously don't have any say in what happens.