Notices
The Help Desk Consolidation of Rules, FAQ, Feedback, Discussion, News, and Suggestions.

Entertainment Section Member Etiquette: SPOILERS

Old 05-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk
Default Entertainment Section Member Etiquette: SPOILERS

What is a spoiler?
A spoiler is anything which can hinder a person's enjoyment of something by telling them something they might not have known beforehand. This is not limited to story elements but can also cover surprising gameplay developments/changes in the course of a game or surprises in terms of secrets and unlockables. The threshold each individual person has for spoilers on a range of subjects will vary greatly.

From what I gather in this section over the years is a general common courtesy between members on SPOILER tagging media that maybe damaging to peoples view on the topic beforehand. Now if say rules were implemented against such posts would you guys/girls have a problem with it? or stay with the common courtesy of tagging such posts.

Heres the rules I would instate that would result in an Infraction:

Avoid putting spoilers in thread titles
If you are making a thread, consider for a moment that some people might want to avoid knowing certain things about a game/movie/TV show/whatever. As such, being a little more vague is better than being inconsiderate.

Mark spoilers appropriately
When posting spoilers about anything, always mark it properly. Using a spoiler tag alone is often not the best way because no one will know what you have hidden behind the tag without reading it first. Using proper marking can make it very helpful for others to know if they want to highlight the spoiler tag or not. Mixing spoiler tags with regular text in a single sentence is also often a bad idea when dealing with a story spoiler, especially if it makes it obvious.

Correct spoiler marking strategies.
This is a spoiler for the 4th boss fight in Zelda
Spoiler

Incorret spoiler marking strategies.
I can't believe
Spoiler

dies at the end of the boss fight against
Spoiler

or

Spoiler

When not to use spoilers
If a thread is specifically marked as post-game discussion and spoilers are warned about in the title, there is no need to use spoiler tags regarding that topic inside the thread. There is no point having an entire thread filled with [SPOILER] if everyone is on the same page regarding what is expected in the thread. The same applies for threads about the sequels of existing games/movies. If you have not played/seen the previous Media in the series, it is probably not a good idea to wander into a thread about the latest Media, especially if it is a direct sequel to story-driven Media.

I ask you guys/girls.....
When should *SPOILERS* be tagged after release of said Media?

Anything different you would add?

DISCUSS
Old 05-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Band

paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket
Default Re: Entertainment Section Member Etiquette: SPOILERS

I don't think that infracting for putting a spoiler in the thread title is a good idea. Kinda like having NSFW in thread title is your warning. it'd be a pita to tag every NSFW post in u raff u ruse

are you going to infract for spoiler tag abuse? say... if I'm just trying to be funny
Spoiler

what about hiding a metric fuckton of pictures within a thread to shorten the page length, even if the pics aren't spoilers?

Last edited by paperassgasket; 05-24-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:35 AM
where are my balls!?

Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger

i just learned how to put spoiler tags in the other week yay
Old 05-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

Originally Posted by gnarlycharlie4u
I don't think that infracting for putting a spoiler in the thread title is a good idea. Kinda like having NSFW in thread title is your warning. it'd be a pita to tag every NSFW post in u raff u ruse
Raf Ruse is in Eye Candy, different kinda section there.

But say I make a thread title:

SPIDERMAN: EDGE OF TIME, Peter dies and Aunt May is Naked.

You pretty much just ruined the experience for many people. For this i would close the thread and infract. No bueno?

are you going to infract for spoiler tag abuse? say... if I'm just trying to be funny
Spoiler

Actually no because its not affecting a real Spoiler situation, crysis averted.

what about hiding a metric fuckton of pictures within a thread to shorten the page length, even if the pics aren't spoilers?
I would require you to tag/post beforehand the SPOILER as a NON-Spoiler, if its not and your joking, Infraction.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:49 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Sounds good.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Band

paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket

Originally Posted by Daft Punk
SPIDERMAN: EDGE OF TIME, Peter dies and Aunt May is Naked..
yea fuck that. just tell them to put spoiler inside.

and I like still being able to use the spoiler tags for non spoilers without fear of a ban.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Punch the dot

Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:56 AM
A.K.A Jebus

Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo

I see what you're trying to do and it seems to be a good idea. You just want to make it concise so people don't get confused (you example clearly outlines what you are looking for)

Closing the threads I agree with, maybe make it so the title must contain something like *Caution Spoiler inside* so readers are warned before hand and browse with caution (tags still required)

Do you think an infraction is a little too serious? Maybe start with a warning and if they don't get it after a warning or two then start with the infractions.

But it sounds like a good idea Mig I like where you're going with this
Old 05-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

and I like still being able to use the spoiler tags for non spoilers without fear of a ban.
AS LONG AS YOU APPROPRIATELY POST THAT ITS NON-SPOILER MATERIAL INSIDE OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

just wanted to make that clear.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:57 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Originally Posted by Scotty_Nooo
Do you think an infraction is a little too serious? Maybe start with a warning and if they don't get it after a warning or two then start with the infractions.

This would be the appropriate means. This is how i do most of my actions, unless member is clearly outta hand. (situation deems it)

Quick Reply: Entertainment Section Member Etiquette: SPOILERS