Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

zx9 help please

Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93hatch has disabled reputation
Default zx9 help please

This may be on here but i didnt see it.

Ive got a 01 zx9. im new to bikes. ive been riding less than a year.

so i got my bike running after sitting all winter. ran great. rode quite a few times. Few weeks ago i took the bike to hertford 1/8. ran pretty decent for my second time. 6.98. rode the bike home and parked it in the garage with a battery tender hooked up to it for 2 weeks. well i went out to ride it the other day and it runs like crap. the bike is missing on atleast 1 cyclinder at lower rpms underload. it seems to clear up at high rpms. the bike has roughly 24k on it. it was maintained pretty good.

my question is where should i start? plugs? if so is there a trick to these? looks tight in there. also how about special tools and brand of plugs. any help would be great. thanks guys.

my guess is steve will be answering these questions.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:04 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow
Default Re: zx9 help please

I would start to see if the carbs need cleaning or need to be synchronized, plugs or a coil to see if anything is damaged. What other mods are done to it?
Old 05-20-2009, 07:19 AM
Fighterer

Abysalone will become famous soon enough

I would check the carbs first. Sounds like the low jet is clogged, but your mains are ok.

For the plugs, use a regular plug socket and a long extension. Removing the tank makes it alot easier.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

changed the plugs today. no change at all.

so where should i go from here. it is missing at higher rpms but not as bad. its mainly under a load when it gets real bad.

sidenote- went to aggesior(spelling) in p-town for the first time today. not too bad. anyone have any experiance with them?
Old 05-21-2009, 03:16 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Have you cleaned the carbs and checked the jets like we mentioned?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

no i havent. i know nothing about bike carbs. anyone here want to check it out for cheap?

or anyone have detailed steps i can follow to check these myself?
Old 05-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

tundrafiend01 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 93hatch
no i havent. i know nothing about bike carbs. anyone here want to check it out for cheap?

or anyone have detailed steps i can follow to check these myself?
First page..try searching..

https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/carb-cleaning-101-a-292504/
Old 05-22-2009, 08:16 AM
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT

If you take them apart and clean them. Just dont change any adjustments. Put them back together the exact way you took them apart. You should get a gasket kit from a local store.. they are usually not that expensive. You do not want to use RTV or any other type of liquid sealant. The gas will break down the sealant and it will get clogged in your carbs.

Put the carbs back on the bike. That will more than likely fix the problem for the most part. It should run pretty good at that point. But the carbs will need to be synchronized. This is something that has to be down with a mercury float. Just take it to a shop and let them do it. That would be my suggestion. I am almost positive that when you are done you bike will be a screamin demon.

I had a similar problem with my 91 FZR 600R and i did this and it ran great! (Used RTV the first time and I learned my lesson). Nothing like have to take your bike apart twice.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:17 AM
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT

Originally Posted by 93hatch
This may be on here but i didnt see it.

Ive got a 01 zx9. im new to bikes. ive been riding less than a year.

so i got my bike running after sitting all winter. ran great. rode quite a few times. Few weeks ago i took the bike to hertford 1/8. ran pretty decent for my second time. 6.98. rode the bike home and parked it in the garage with a battery tender hooked up to it for 2 weeks. well i went out to ride it the other day and it runs like crap. the bike is missing on atleast 1 cyclinder at lower rpms underload. it seems to clear up at high rpms. the bike has roughly 24k on it. it was maintained pretty good.

my question is where should i start? plugs? if so is there a trick to these? looks tight in there. also how about special tools and brand of plugs. any help would be great. thanks guys.

my guess is steve will be answering these questions.

oh yea... you interested in a rear seat cowl for that bike?
Old 05-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

yes i am.

but i think im gonna get it running right first.

Quick Reply: zx9 help please