Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Will it hurt...............

Old 05-11-2004, 04:28 PM
Chillaxin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6
Default Will it hurt...............

To change my oil, even if it might be pretty early. The guy i bought the bike from neglected to tell me when the last oil change was, so id rather get it done early if it wont hurt anything, then to do it late while hurting my new baby

So even if it had its oil changed 1000 or less miles ago, is it all good if a change it anyhow?
Old 05-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Patron

Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus
Default Re: Will it hurt...............

I would have changed it when i first got the bike.. but it wont hurt at all.. just you knowing there fresh oil.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

it would be absolutely impossible to hurt it in any way... just changed the oil in my F4i yesterday, previous owner had receipts for an oil change like 500 miles ago, but peace of mind is worth the cost of an oil change to me
Old 05-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

I want to learn to do all my own maintainance. Is it relatively easy to do the oil change, and if so, can someone give me the steps to doing it and doing it right>?
Old 05-11-2004, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

its super easy... go to your dealer and get some motorcycle oil and filter, take off the oil filler cap, then loosen the drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan and let it drain out, then remove the filter, if its on hard use a filter wrench or at last resort drive a screw driver through it and spin it using the handle, just be sure not to puncture it out towards the end and not hit the threaded portion of the oil cooler itself

fill the new filter up w/ some oil to help prime it, and spin it on, as tight as you can get w/ your hand is good... put the drain plug back in, be careful not to over tighten it as stripping the oil pan is bad, get it as tight as you can w/ your bare hands then just snug it w/ the socket wrench or ratchet... w/ the bike standing straight up and down(i put pieces of wood under the kick stand) add oil to the oil filler hole(right side engine cover) until it is level in the middle of the oil lever window, or dip stick... then start the engine for maybe 20 seconds, then turn it off, give it a minute or so for the oil to drain back down to the window, you'll most certainly have to add more as starting it dispursed it around the motor, so add oil again til its in the middle of the window/dip stick again... start it up again, let it run for a minute, give it a few revs... then turn it off and make sure the oil is in the middle to upper portion of the window/dip stick

and if it smokes like a bitch on your next ride don't worry, its the oil burning off the headers
Old 05-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

thanks Bret. Ur the man homie!
Old 05-12-2004, 03:51 AM
Banned

Hayashi is an unknown quantity at this point

why would it hurt....
Old 05-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Ok, i did the oil change. But after i did it, i realized that i used yamalube, which is by yamaha, so i cant really go wrong using it, but i dont think its synthetic . I got a stock yammy oil filter as well. I also picked up some spark plugs. So that will be my next new experience. Any step by step procedures for that too? **Cough** Del**Cough**
Old 05-12-2004, 12:06 PM
_______

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

take off the tank!!!
Old 05-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

Originally Posted by Slow_Rolla
Ok, i did the oil change. But after i did it, i realized that i used yamalube, which is by yamaha, so i cant really go wrong using it, but i dont think its synthetic . I got a stock yammy oil filter as well. I also picked up some spark plugs. So that will be my next new experience. Any step by step procedures for that too? **Cough** Del**Cough**
I would reccomend getting the Clymer book for your bike. Some live and die by them and others live and die by the manufacturer's book. I'm all for the Clymer. It will tell you step by step what you need to do for whatever it is you're trying to do.

Quick Reply: Will it hurt...............