Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Wanted: Someone to Swap Cam Chain Tensioner

Old 05-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts
Default Wanted: Someone to Swap Cam Chain Tensioner

As the title states, I would preferably like a tech who doesnt work on weekends to swap the Cam Chain Tensioner on a 2001 F4i I am buying. I am planning on replacing the factory unit with an APE Manual tensioner. The person must have experience as I dont want to be the guinea pig.

I know it should be easy and only take 2 hours (for someone very mechanical) but Im not that confident in my ability and would rather pay someone for their time and expertise than screw it up myself.

Let me know if someone is in or around Richmond and willing to help me out. Obviously you will be paid for a successful swap.

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Registered member

evan matthews has disabled reputation
Default Re: Wanted: Someone to Swap Cam Chain Tensioner

Call Proclass cycles 232-2300. They do great work and have good labor rates.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by evan matthews
Call Proclass cycles 232-2300. They do great work and have good labor rates.
Thanks Evan.

Ill give them a call tomorrow!
Old 05-20-2008, 03:00 PM
yes sir

rollingstock has disabled reputation

fyi f4i are a pain in the ass to change.. its gonna be hard to find sumwhere that will do it for cheap..

i wouldnt let anyone do it unless they know what they are doing.. not setting it right could kill ur motor
Old 05-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rollingstock
fyi f4i are a pain in the ass to change.. its gonna be hard to find sumwhere that will do it for cheap..

i wouldnt let anyone do it unless they know what they are doing.. not setting it right could kill ur motor
All of the online threads I read with average guys doing the work took a max of 3 hours. Some were able to knock it out in under 2.

The 2 quotes I have gotten thus far are going to be $250+ including the new tensioner.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

this should be in the classifieds
FYI
Old 05-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2>4
this should be in the classifieds
FYI
Ummm...thanks?

Its middle ground. Either someone offers to help or gives me a name as was done above. Not to mention some members who dont check the Classifieds will check here and might provide me with a lead.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

NoRider has disabled reputation

I had a friend who had the same year f4i, and he just lubed it up and said he was golden, never had a problem. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

the classified section actually get more views than this section
Trolls are many in the Cycle Corner...
Old 05-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NoRider
I had a friend who had the same year f4i, and he just lubed it up and said he was golden, never had a problem. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.
I spent the majority of my day reading up on the issue. (ahh work ). It seems the issue isnt even from the tensioner, but the bolt that runs through it has a stange head on it that gets loose and kinda wobbles against the chain guide. The two permanent options are replace it with another factory unit or go with the mechanical unit from APE. The downside to the factory one is that it fails every 6-10k miles.
Originally Posted by 2>4
the classified section actually get more views than this section
Trolls are many in the Cycle Corner...
I guess thats true. Im going to contact a few places tomorrow and see their rates. $250 isnt the end of the world, but if I could find a Honda Tech (or anyone who is a Tech) who wants to make $40/hr to fix this, I would be happy to give them some extra $$ for their skill.

Quick Reply: Wanted: Someone to Swap Cam Chain Tensioner