Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Tire question?

Old 05-04-2004, 06:29 PM
Chillaxin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6
Default Tire question?

Whats the cheapest tire that performs well that i could get. Im very broke right now and am looking for something very cheap, but will "Get'er'done" (in other words i wont need to be scared to get on the throttle when coming out of a turn if the ground is slightly wet.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4
Default Re: Tire question?

Originally Posted by Slow_Rolla
Whats the cheapest tire that performs well that i could get. Im very broke right now and am looking for something very cheap, but will "Get'er'done" (in other words i wont need to be scared to get on the throttle when coming out of a turn if the ground is slightly wet.
First off (IMHO) you should be at least hesitant to roll on the throttle coming out of a turn if the roads are wet. Straight line riding in the pouring rain is fine; but it's the turns that will mess you up. You go from a 5 inch contact patch to like 2 inches................not good when it's wet out.

As for tires; you get what you pay for. I should be the LAST guy to give advice on what tires to buy as I've been riding on race scrubs for the last 4 months................
Old 05-04-2004, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

i'm running metzler sportech m1's and really like em, everyone seems to have a pretty nice price on them considering how good they are, same goes for pirelli diablo corsas

you should definetly be hesistant like he said about rolling on the throttle too hard in the rain, you want all inputs, throttle, brake, and handling to be super smooth on and off, but you really want to be on the gas from the beginning of the turn anyways, like neutrally that is, just enough to hold your speed steady and open it up gradually as you start to bring the bike up straight, but you definetly do not want to be off the gas and decelerating through a turn
Old 05-05-2004, 05:33 AM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
i'm running metzler sportech m1's and really like em, everyone seems to have a pretty nice price on them considering how good they are, same goes for pirelli diablo corsas

you should definetly be hesistant like he said about rolling on the throttle too hard in the rain, you want all inputs, throttle, brake, and handling to be super smooth on and off, but you really want to be on the gas from the beginning of the turn anyways, like neutrally that is, just enough to hold your speed steady and open it up gradually as you start to bring the bike up straight, but you definetly do not want to be off the gas and decelerating through a turn
Yeah i used a bad choice of words. I dont mean get on the gas a lot, just gradually roll on it as i am coming out of the turn, but with my current tire's condition, im afraid to do that if the roads are wet, it just doesnt look like it will have much traction (i even lost traction going straight the other day when i shifted from 1st to 2nd, almost like barking gears except i just spun at about 38mph, and yes it was wet out.)

And something else i have been doing which i dont know is good or not is when i go through a curve, like a merging land from one main street to another i slow down just a little and hold the clutch in and just coast with the speed i have, then I ease the clutch back in as im coming out of the curve. Any tips you could give i could practice would be much appreciated. Although im still hesitant about locking up my rear wheel
Old 05-05-2004, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

thats a very very bad way to go through a turn, but thats ok your learning, i did alot worse when i first started riding... but what your doing is really unsettling to the chasis and can make it very unpredictable... ideally heres what you want to be doing coming into a turn

1)set up/entry- as you come up on the turn get your braking done while the bike is straight up and down, shift your body weight to the side you want to be turning to, you don't need to over exageratte your body position for street riding

2)apex- now that you've finished braking its time to lean the bike over and enter the turn, gently roll on the gas as you start to enter the turn, just enough to hold your entry speed steady and balance the chasis

3)exit- as you exit the apex just gently roll on the throttle more and more as you bring your bike up straight

thats kind of a racing description, but its exactly what you want to do on the street too, everything isn't as crucial if your just cruisin around, but the concepts are the same, but two things you definetly do not want to do while turning is pull in the clutch or touch the brakes, also avoid abrupt throttle changes(on or off)
Old 07-03-2004, 09:26 PM
FTP! Cop's Lie!

R1Buttercup is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr.6
U get what u pay for and the way u ride-I heard through the grapevine u need good tires. I got MICHELIN PILOT SPORT in the front and back, good sticky tires, good for turns and I've had to quick stop and not much fishtailing and the cornering is NICE.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:35 AM
Handling is Key!

Voodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these parts

Pilot sport! Very good tire for longevity and stickiness!
Old 07-04-2004, 07:59 AM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Well, these metzlers havent done me wrong, they too are very good for the price