Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Taking insurance off of a financed bike?

Old 04-21-2007, 09:38 AM
ASE Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of
Default Taking insurance off of a financed bike?

well.. reality is.. the street just isnt fun for me anymore. neither is the 2 hours it takes me to transfer all the stuff back over to make it legal to ride on the street. my tags were due at the end of the march and i just never got around to it, so they are expired.

i called 2 weeks ago and had my deductables raised to their max to save some money month to month, but im just not riding it on the street anymore.

question is, can i just call up and have them remove the insurance? its financed through suzuki. any problems i might run into before i call and ask. i wont tell them im racing it, ill just tell them its not being ridden much anymore. it would be nice to have the extra money to put towards paying the damn thing off. its not like they are going to pay out anyway if i wreck it at the track.

any insight?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder
Default Re: Taking insurance off of a financed bike?

i finance company may require some type of insurance. check with them.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:18 AM
dont wuurry

RightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond repute

if you have it finianced it is required to have full coverage, you will get screwed big time.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:31 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

the dmv doesn't require you to have insurance if there's no registered tags for it. it can still be titled in your name, but you can't get tags unless you have insurance.

dunno what the finance company would say though.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:25 AM
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of

when i bought the bike, i, like all of my friends, was told i only needed liability (although i went with full coverage anyway). rumor amoung all the people i ride with is that if the bike was financed through suzuki (and some other makes are the same), for under $10k, it only needed liability. im assuming its because of the dmv tags. why would a finance company only require liability? that wont cover the bike if you wreck it, just other people's property.

a friend of mine had a friend total his gsxr 2 years back. he took insurance off of it and just kept making payments and nothing ever became of it with the finance company.

im just wondering if anyone dealt with this.

Last edited by onepointone; 04-21-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

Suzuki's finance doesn't require insurance, the way their credit works is basically you didn't really finance the bike with them, they approved you for a credit card and you bought the bike with that. I financed my 1000 for over $10,000 and only put liability on it.

Just make sure you turn in the tag and cancel the registration BEFORE you cancel the insurance, or else it will be time to file an SR-22.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:49 PM
CLUTCH IT UP

Armenian has disabled reputation

make sure u dont ball the bike up or buy a crash cage for it lol
Old 04-21-2007, 08:46 PM

zx636skiv is on a distinguished road

I would double check with the finance company because I was always told that if you were financed in the state of Virginia, then you needed full coverage. That way if you totaled the bike, the insurance company would still get their money.

I have never seen it written in law or anything, but better safe than sorry. Maybe call the insurance company inquiring like you are looking to buy a bike, but won't be putting it on the street for a year...or something.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

If he used the Suzuki card, it's not financed technically. He can go with no insurance on it and make it a track bike only.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:23 PM

s2k7 has disabled reputation

Hell, 90% of the kids out there who own bikes get reamed in the asshole by insurance companies. Shit, I remember when I had my r6 with no tickets at all insurance was more than the bike was a year brand new. Smart thinking of the companies though, or they wouldn't be selling shit.

Quick Reply: Taking insurance off of a financed bike?