Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Strange running issue...

Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Function > Form

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
Default Strange running issue...

So, the past couple times I've taken the bike out, it has had these fits of running poorly. I warmed the bike up, rode it for about 10 minutes on each occasion, reached my destination and shut it off. When I get back on the bike (after it sat for about 20 min each time), it'll start right back up but after a couple minutes of running, it starts to run like crap. After a few seconds of running like crap I'll pull the clutch and the rpms drop to 50-100 and it sounds like it's missing. During the first instance I pulled over and let it "run" for a minute or two and then it went back to normal and ran fine all the way home. However, during this most recent instance, I pulled over and started to let the "run" as I had before with hope that it would sort itself out again. It didn't. It shut off on it's own and wouldn't start up or even turn when I hit the ignition. After a couple minutes of scratching my head I tried to start it again and it fired up and ran. Still was running a little rough but I made it home.

What could be causing this? I recently replaced the flywheel with a more recent continues magnet setup, cleaned the carbs and it has gas in it (when it ran rough the first time I turned it over to reserve, thinking I was running out of gas with no change). Also wondering if it could be the plugs/wires?

The bike is a 91 ex500 with ~50,000 mi on it. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:45 AM
git down on it

judge judge judge judge judge judge judge judge judge judge judge
Default Re: Strange running issue...

i would recommend cleaning the carbs again/check tank for rust. also look at your power and grounds, could be loose.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
Default Re: Strange running issue...

I'm going to clean all connections, particularly to the ignition, then report back.