Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Sticky Throttle

Old 03-04-2006, 07:38 AM
Night Train

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dwn4whadever has disabled reputation
Default Sticky Throttle

Yesterday it was fine you roll the throttle and when you let got it drops back down. Today after i started it i rode it a little bit slow and as i started to increase my speeds on runs i notice that when i held in the clutch the rpms dropped real slow from 3k. I would kinda rev it a little and it would stick around three and then drop real slow. This was startingto effect me when i was going into second gear. I dont know What do you guys think?
Old 03-04-2006, 12:33 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sticky Throttle

if you roll the throttle FORWARD, does it act right? what i mean is, if you give it some gas, and the manually roll the throttle closed, do the rpm's drop normally? most bikes have 2 throttle cables, one pulls the throttle open, and one pulls the throttle closed. it's a safety thing, so you always have a way of closing the throttle if it were to stick. if it works fine that way, then you just have sticky cables and/or linkages.

if it still hangs up at about 3k or so, and drops slowly, you probably have an intake leak somewhere.

what kind of bike is it? some bikes are known for backfiring thru the intake, and blowing the carbs/throttle bodies out of the intake boots a lil bit, causing an intake leak, which makes the bike run lean and "hang up" like you are describing. usually it's v-twins that do it most often, but i've seen it happen on 4 bangers too.

pull the tank up and make sure the carbs/ throttle bodies are completely seated in the intake boots.

Originally Posted by dwn4whadever
Yesterday it was fine you roll the throttle and when you let got it drops back down. Today after i started it i rode it a little bit slow and as i started to increase my speeds on runs i notice that when i held in the clutch the rpms dropped real slow from 3k. I would kinda rev it a little and it would stick around three and then drop real slow. This was startingto effect me when i was going into second gear. I dont know What do you guys think?
Old 03-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Night Train

dwn4whadever has disabled reputation

Roger that i will check that out tomorrow. Thanks
Old 03-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Free Time

octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane

Is this your GS500 giving you trouble? Like skr00zloose said, it's likely cables or an intake leak. I'd bet it's cables though, I've had that trouble with my GS a few times. Roll the choke lever a few times and see if that feels like it's sticking. The GS choke can be finicky and will sometimes stay slightly engaged when the lever is closed, which will cause the bike to do what you describe. If the choke does feel like it's sticking, lubing the cable will probably fix the problem. If you're comfortable taking your tank off and peaking at the carbs, spray a little carb cleaner into the cable pulls on the carb bank to make sure nothing is sticking there.

While the tank is off make sure the little rubber vacuum caps are on the ports on top of the carbs. The rubber intake manifolds also have a tendency to dry out on the GS, which causes vacuum leaks, so you may need to replace those. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:24 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by octane
Is this your GS500 giving you trouble? Like skr00zloose said, it's likely cables or an intake leak. I'd bet it's cables though, I've had that trouble with my GS a few times. Roll the choke lever a few times and see if that feels like it's sticking. The GS choke can be finicky and will sometimes stay slightly engaged when the lever is closed, which will cause the bike to do what you describe. If the choke does feel like it's sticking, lubing the cable will probably fix the problem. If you're comfortable taking your tank off and peaking at the carbs, spray a little carb cleaner into the cable pulls on the carb bank to make sure nothing is sticking there.

While the tank is off make sure the little rubber vacuum caps are on the ports on top of the carbs. The rubber intake manifolds also have a tendency to dry out on the GS, which causes vacuum leaks, so you may need to replace those. Good luck.

yeah man.. i talked to him last night, seems as though it's his choke. haven't heard yet whether it fixed it or not.