Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Are starter bikes under $2k hard to come by?

Old 10-10-2009, 04:09 PM
MARK IT ZERO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout
Default Are starter bikes under $2k hard to come by?

With a baby on the way, I hate to take a MSF course/getting M license and then end up not finding a good deal on a bike. I grew up on dirt bikes and I really miss being on 2 wheels. Are Ninja 250's pretty easy to find at any given time for under $2k?
Old 10-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Registered member

OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA
Default Re: Are starter bikes under $2k hard to come by?

Originally Posted by ufctapout
With a baby on the way, I hate to take a MSF course/getting M license and then end up not finding a good deal on a bike. I grew up on dirt bikes and I really miss being on 2 wheels. Are Ninja 250's pretty easy to find at any given time for under $2k?
Not trying to sound rude, but from what i've heard, 250's are the biggest waste of money ever. I know people who have bought them in the past, and they "outgrew" them within months and wound up upgrading to 600's shortly thereafter. If you get a 250, contrary to what you may think you want, you'll yearn for something more in no time. Just go with a used 600....its a better investment all around. And when/if you ever want to upgrade to say a 750/1000, it'll be much easier to sell than a 250.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:30 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

+3891247103983479

i learned on a 1100

and have had since
2 busas
gsxr1000
zx10

you will definately outgrow a 250 in a few days..

get at least a gsxr600 and you will be very happy..
Old 10-10-2009, 04:32 PM
MARK IT ZERO

ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout

I know that 250's tend to be cheaper, and I'm looking for a good commuter. I'm not worried about going 900 mph or anything, but if 250's are really that slow, perhaps I'll look into the 600's. Same question though, are there usually some for around 2k on the market at any given time?
Old 10-10-2009, 04:35 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

you should be able to find a 95-00 600 for the 2000 range

you may find newer years but they tend to be in the 3000 ish range
Old 10-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

I seriously wouldn't recommend seeking solid info in this section regarding a starter bike. Half the info in this thread is wrong. I would take what you see here with a grain of salt.

You want solid, factual and experienced responses and not simple bs visit www.sportbikes.net and you will get some answers there.

A Ninja 250 or even a 500 make a great starter bike. Do not let the fanboys with jackshit for experience here tell you otherwise. I see numerous people on bike sites using those bikes for beginners and many people recommend them. That was my first bike I rode for a season.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Registered member

OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I seriously wouldn't recommend seeking solid info in this section regarding a starter bike. Half the info in this thread is wrong. I would take what you see here with a grain of salt.

You want solid, factual and experienced responses and not simple bs visit www.sportbikes.net and you will get some answers there.

A Ninja 250 or even a 500 make a great starter bike. Do not let the fanboys with jackshit for experience here tell you otherwise. I see numerous people on bike sites using those bikes for beginners and many people recommend them. That was my first bike I rode for a season.
So now i'm a fanboy with jack shit for experience? I mean I agree everyone is entitled to opinions......but wow.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:56 PM
MARK IT ZERO

For what I'd do with it, I really think a 250 would be ample power. My last dirt bike (and believe me I know the engine size doesn't translate from dirt bikes to motorcycles) was a KTM 400 EXC, and that thing was much more than I ever needed. I never got it out of 4th gear. I commute 10 miles each way to work. A Ninja 250 seems like a fun, cheap way to keep the mileage down on my car. I'd also love to do some weekend rides through Pungo. I'm not into the whole wheelie going 100mph down 264 scene.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Originally Posted by OSSHWA
So now i'm a fanboy with jack shit for experience? I mean I agree everyone is entitled to opinions......but wow.
Your answer shows pure fucking ignorance and proves you don't know what you are talking about. If you think you will be bored of a 250, you need to get some real seat time on one, because that is one of the biggest and well known myths about them.

You have your opinion, and despite it being wrong, I will leave it at that. I told the OP where to go to get good information from thousands of riders not just 40 or so.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Slow as Shit

Originally Posted by ufctapout
For what I'd do with it, I really think a 250 would be ample power. My last dirt bike (and believe me I know the engine size doesn't translate from dirt bikes to motorcycles) was a KTM 400 EXC, and that thing was much more than I ever needed. I never got it out of 4th gear. I commute 10 miles each way to work. A Ninja 250 seems like a fun, cheap way to keep the mileage down on my car. I'd also love to do some weekend rides through Pungo. I'm not into the whole wheelie going 100mph down 264 scene.
A Ninja 250 will be great. Plus they are in high demand so chances are you will get your resale value out of it. It is without a doubt and comes highly recommended as one of if not the best starter bike out there. They are a blast to ride and a lot of fun. Here is a review on it
http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.c...nja-250-review

Definitely a great bike and very forgiving unlike a SS bike. The brakes aren't as sensitive, the throttle delivery is conducive for the beginner rider even if you make a mistake, sneeze, or whatever it won't put you on your ass as fast wondering what happened. The bike will instill confidence in you as a rider and not scare the hell out of you which the ends result is you will be a more advanced rider than someone who started on a 600. It handles very well and even has enough power for you to ride on the highway.

Last edited by Woodrow; 10-10-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Are starter bikes under $2k hard to come by?