Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Soooo... I will NEVER be doing that again!!!

Old 04-15-2011, 05:10 AM
TRIED HIS GT!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT
Default Soooo... I will NEVER be doing that again!!!

I told my girl that I had seen something about changing the color of the LEDs in a speedo cluster. So.. she wanted it pink. I went ahead and ordered the little LEDs.

When the stupid little lights were shipped to me. I took one look and said to myself. "I should take this to a TV repair shop or something and let them do it."

Then, I decided to read the directions. The directions made it seem easy enough. So... I took a little bit of my abundance of ego, and decided that I could do it!!!!

So... I took off the cluster,then dismantling it. I thought.. well... it looks as easy as the directions said. I pulled the needle and the removed the RPM face plate... "all is going well".

At this point... I should have taken a second to google search the experiences with the R6 clusters.

As I tug, pull and pry on the LCD screen. I am thinking "I am doing it wrong". So I bust out the butter knife, to get under the edge and trying to convence it up. As the directions supplied, show a guy pulling it off with his fingers and saying "be careful not to break it."

Then I get it about half way up and notice they are not pins that can be pulled out like the directions implies. I thought there might be some sort of male female connection in the middle but I was sadly mistaken. Looking at the bottom of the screen... I see these little prongs. "Oh... maybe that is where they come apart."

Prying and pulling at them. I remove 15 breaking 4 or them in the process. "You have got to be ****ing KIDDING!"

After having destroyed the LCD screen. I went downstairs to the garage and got another cluster. This time I desoldered the damn thing and put it aside. Mind you... there are 28 pins in the back of this screen... so I sat there for almost an hour taking the damn thing off.

Then I remove all of the LEDs only to find out that they are polar specific. So... Which way did they go!?!? Lucky I had the other one to look at. As I melted one of the LEDs, (thank god there were extras) I though to myself... "This shit sucks!"

After about the 6th LED I started to get the hang of it and it moved along quickly. but not before I wasn't paying attention and melted one of the buttons with the iron.

Anyways, I get them all in and put the screen back on. Another hour of lining up 28 ****ing tiny ass pins to slide them back into the board. I finally get it back in and pull the switch from the other cluster to replace it. Time to go down to plug it in to see how it looks.

I turn the bike on and everything works... except now the very last number on the trip and ODO is constantly an 8 and the lights aren't that bright. Then my girl looks over and says "They are pink!.. ish purple"

So... just to recap
3.5 hours of work
I burned myself 5 times with the iron
I burned my girl 2 times
I destroyed 2 guage clusters to make 1
The LEDs were not that bright
I have 1 of the numbers that are always on
and they are not really "pink" they are Pinkish purple.

In conclusion... I will NEVER be doing this again!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Registered Member

Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars
Default Re: Soooo... I will NEVER be doing that again!!!

live and learn
Old 04-15-2011, 06:13 AM
Former Vendor

ChaserAero ChaserAero ChaserAero ChaserAero ChaserAero ChaserAero ChaserAero ChaserAero ChaserAero ChaserAero ChaserAero

Somebody made you a sandwich though right?

+rep for the attempt for the lady
Old 04-15-2011, 08:58 AM
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT

Originally Posted by ChaserAero
Somebody made you a sandwich though right?

+rep for the attempt for the lady
lol... actually... she did make me a sandwich... it was a turkey sandwich... I ate it on the way to bed.. LOL... I started at 10pm thinking it wouldn't be too bad... finished at 1:30am.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Show-lo car

nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2

lol. wheres the pix?
Old 04-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

+2 for the pics man..lol
Old 04-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

As an FYI, the longer wire leads on the LED designate the direction. (I think longer is the + side). Forget which, been a bit since i've messed w/ it. Hook them up to a battery. One lead should be slightly longer than the other.

Also, you can mess up the LED's (change the color) by too much current. Find out their rating and how much you're putting through them.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:48 AM
TRIED HIS GT!

Originally Posted by RandomTask
As an FYI, the longer wire leads on the LED designate the direction. (I think longer is the + side). Forget which, been a bit since i've messed w/ it. Hook them up to a battery. One lead should be slightly longer than the other.

Also, you can mess up the LED's (change the color) by too much current. Find out their rating and how much you're putting through them.
Well... there were NO leads on these LEDs... they are just squares... but they are polar spacific. Once corner of the LED has a peice missing out of the corner. Then they board has an arrow on it. So... it was pretty easy, once I figured it out... but it took a minute. LOL. I will take some pictures on my phone real quick.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:07 AM
TRIED HIS GT!

Here is a picture of my cluster... stock color

Here is the womans color now. It looks great on the time display... no issues

On the milage... the end is always displaying a backwards "h" at the end. but the number still works... so it just adds to the number

This is the trip setting... there are 2 trips and on each one... it displays km/h and it is not supposed too... on the left side... at the bottom... you can see the 2 lines on the bottom of the first 2 numbers are slightly there... so its like a halo, and the backards "h" is still displayed in these too.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:36 AM
beautiful struggle

Quentin has disabled reputation

That sounds like hell. I suck at electrical so I don't even bother. Well look at pics later, work blocks em -__-