Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

sometimes it may be the bike...

Old 03-01-2009, 07:27 PM
I have a 20 valve...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx
Default sometimes it may be the bike...

okay, now, before the flaming starts, I want everybody to know that this was an isolated incident, I have only ridden a hand full of bikes, and I have listened to the testimony of so many people.

Now I'll begin.

Last Friday, I met up with my dad, a seasoned 30 year rider, MSF instructor, owner of (currently) 4 motorcycles and a very knowledgeable guy. We were going to do a tune up on my bike (seca 2 xj600) and he wanted to ride my bike to see how much we were going to have to do (which meant checking the valves, throttle synchronization etc). On the way home, we went to one of his favorite haunts so he could test out my bike and I could experience his. Now for his ride: a sport tuned 1997 VFR 750. He did all the maintenance and this is his preferred track bike. It rides well.

The area we rode in was called Krauser Canyon and has a ton of very tight switch backs, and in 2 areas, a 10 mph turning zone. Yes, kiss your own ass. On my bike, I could not have driven as fast, would not have negotiated the turns, been able to brake at the correct time and accelerated when the moment called for. My bike would probably have killed me.

After we got done riding, he asked me how the bike felt. I alluded it to skiing: there were two types of skis: parabolic and standard. The standard skis made you work to turn, you had to parallel christi and do all the things you needed to do to negotiate the hill. Parabolics did all the work for you. You thought about turning and they did. You turned a little, you got a huge arc out of it. it was the same with the VFR. I leaned, it said how much more would you like to go. I accelerated and it said we have a few more gears if thats what you want.

All in all, sometimes I think its the bike, and not the rider. The real question is: how the fuck did I keep up with my dad on an underclassed, underpowerer standard touring bike, and I was on his track bike? Don't get me wrong, he has the advantage, but it was his bike that allowed me to keep up, not my skill.

Comments?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

gixxerman11 has disabled reputation
Default Re: sometimes it may be the bike...

no flaming and it is the rider.... not the bike thats it.... i enjoyed reading the story tho
Old 03-03-2009, 01:15 AM

zx636skiv is on a distinguished road

Sometimes it's the rider...I remember back in the day following a certain someone thru the Pungo areas on my ZX6 and he was on a Hawk GT. The only time I could real him in was on the long straights...it was definitely the rider! My bike had him by about 40 hp and better suspension...I just lacked the skills to keep up with him. And I was pretty fast back then! ( know someone out there will back me up, cuz they know who I am talking about!)

In your defense, the VFR is an easy bike to ride. Much like the SuperHawk and many of Honda's V4s, it is a smooth power delivery and neutral handling which makes it easy for anyone to ride quickly. I have ridden both of those Hondas and have found me going faster than I realized...they are just too easy! Not trying to take anything from your skills, it's just easier to ride the VFR faster than the Seca.

Last edited by zx636skiv; 03-03-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:36 AM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

he was letting you keep up
it's your dad. I doubt (at least i hope) he would screw you like that
Old 03-03-2009, 04:52 AM
Handling is Key!

Voodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these parts

Its the rider bro...... 3 weeks ago I went to Pungo on my WR450 and was riding with 3 other guys on GSXR 1000s and I was killing them all the way through our route....... NOT the bike, deff. the rider!
Old 03-03-2009, 04:52 AM
Handling is Key!

Voodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by AFwestPunk
he was letting you keep up
it's your dad. I doubt (at least i hope) he would screw you like that
+1
Old 03-03-2009, 05:41 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by zx636skiv
Sometimes it's the rider...I remember back in the day following a certain someone thru the Pungo areas on my ZX6 and he was on a Hawk GT. The only time I could real him in was on the long straights...it was definitely the rider! My bike had him by about 40 hp and better suspension...I just lacked the skills to keep up with him. And I was pretty fast back then! ( know someone out there will back me up, cuz they know who I am talking about!)
hahahahaha....well, you're either talking about me, or my dad. I don't think I ever rode with you on the 6E, just the 636,(when I had my Hawks) so you're probably referring to him.

everyone had a hard time keeping up with him, lol.

was it this hawk?? (shoulda never sold that bike)

As far as the "bike vs. rider" debate, it does have SOME to do with the bike, as stated, some bikes are just easier to ride fast on. "Fast" is a relative term though. a fast ride on a seca and a fast ride on a VFR, are two different things.

You have to keep in mind though, that even STUPID fast speeds on the streets can't begin to compare to even moderate speeds on a track. It's just two different worlds... alot of the "fast guys" on the street would get thier asses handed to them on a track.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:37 PM
SV haver

chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe

i agree with skrooz, the rider plays the most important role. But some bikes are just easier to ride than others.. example, 07 gixxer... ew... that's what i thought of when you mentioned the skis, then the 05 gixxer turns itself and holds a line very nicely.