Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Riders who started with bigger bike????

Old 12-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
streetsk8er757 has disabled reputation
Default Riders who started with bigger bike????

I am looking into getting a used bike by early spring. I know alot of people say start off with a smaller bike and work your way up. I am a little heavier than some people and I want to start off with a 750cc bike. People have told me that should be fine with me being a little bigger. I weigh around 235-245 (give or take a little). What I want to know is what are the pros and cons of starting off with a bigger bike. I have heard of a few people that started off with a 900 and then got something bigger and a few went from a 900 to a 600. I know at some point I want to take the bike to he track. I have heard that attending a few trackdays help you out riding quite a bit.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Riders who started with bigger bike????

i'd say whatever you get make sure its a bit older and used... personally i'd rather see most people start out on a 1998 gsx-r 750 or zx7 instead of a 2005 zx6 or gsxr 600 or whatever, its too much money to have tied up in your first bike and the new 600's will eat up an older 750

and even though 600's an d 750's are different, its really just an arbitrary number, the most important thing is that you take your time and respect the bike and realize it owns you
Old 12-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

damn i have to. get back home so i can type.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

You should get what you want, but I don't think you need a 750cc+ bike (newer models). Even at your weight (which isn't high compared to what I've seen on sport bikes), a 600cc bike will still move very quickly.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

MOVE has disabled reputation

I started out on 1000cc bike moved up to a 1200 then back down to 600 (which is for sale). Get what you want, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and most will say get a smaller bike. I am not one of those, You can get a bigger bike, its all in how you ride, you can dump a 600 as easy as you can dump 1000. You can always re-gear a bike, put smaller rear sprocket on it to take out the lower end grunt outta your bigger bike, be easy on the throttle and remember, just cuz you watched biker boys doesnt mean you will ride like that after 3 months.

Ride within YOUR limits, not the people you are ridin with (common problem with most riders)
Old 12-19-2006, 10:04 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MOVE
I started out on 1000cc bike moved up to a 1200 then back down to 600 (which is for sale). Get what you want, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and most will say get a smaller bike. I am not one of those, You can get a bigger bike, its all in how you ride, you can dump a 600 as easy as you can dump 1000. You can always re-gear a bike, put smaller rear sprocket on it to take out the lower end grunt outta your bigger bike, be easy on the throttle and remember, just cuz you watched biker boys doesnt mean you will ride like that after 3 months.

Ride within YOUR limits, not the people you are ridin with (common problem with most riders)
yeah, what he said
Old 12-20-2006, 03:11 AM
Registered Member

streetsk8er757 has disabled reputation

Thanks guys
Old 12-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

Originally Posted by MOVE

This is true, but it's a lot easier to get yourself in trouble (injured or dead) on a bigger bike. Much easier.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:24 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

I started on a 600, then moved up to a 636..

Believe it or not, although my original 2001 ZX6R was somewhat heavily modded, the '05 is muuuuuuuch faster and more nimble.

A lot of people feel like a 600 is too big for someone to start riding on, but it's all about respect and self control.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:40 AM
Registered Member

SpoolnSRT4 has disabled reputation

I started on a 89 CBR 600 now planning on moving to a bigger bike .... I liked the idea of not having alot tied up into my first bike to learn the basics and what they and I can do and not do ....

Quick Reply: Riders who started with bigger bike????