Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

requirements for license?

Old 04-15-2004, 05:38 PM
aka GSXR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy
Default requirements for license?

hey, i was wonderin if anybody could answer my questions for me, i tried the dmv website but couldnt find the exact answer i was lookin for.....
anyways....

how old do you have to be to get a motorcycle license?

and do you have to get a motorcycle permit before you get the license?

and do you have to have your regular driver's license for a certain amount of time before you get your motorcycle license?
Old 04-15-2004, 06:00 PM
Patron

Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus
Default Re: requirements for license?

1. 16
2. You need to permit for at least 3 months
3. NO but I think it need to be valid
Old 04-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

i'm not sure what you meant by the last answer jesus, but you do have to possess a valid driver's license to get a M-class on it
Old 04-15-2004, 06:36 PM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Driver Services: Obtaining a Motorcycle License

Class M Designation

If you already hold a valid Virginia driver's license without a motorcycle designation, you may add Class M that will allow you to also operate a motorcycle. To obtain this motorcycle designation, you must:

Pass the required vision screening
Pass the motorcycle knowledge exam
Pass the motorcycle road skills test
IF YOU ARE 19 OR OLDER, you must also:
Hold a motorcycle learner's permit for at least 30 DAYS
OR
Provide DMV with a certificate from the Virginia Rider Training Program indicating that you have successfully completed the state-approved motorcycle safety course.

NOTE: If you provide DMV with a valid motorcycle safety course certificate, you will be exempt from holding the motorcycle learner's permit for 30 days and from taking the motorcycle road skills test at DMV.
IF YOU ARE UNDER 19, you must also:
Hold a motorcycle learner's permit for at least 9 MONTHS (This requirement does not apply if you were age 18 and your motorcycle learner's permit was issued prior to July 1, 2002.)
AND
Provide DMV with a certificate from the Virginia Rider Training Program indicating that you have successfully completed the state-approved motorcycle safety course.

NOTE: You will be exempt from taking the motorcycle road skills test at DMV.
The motorcycle class costs $2.00 per year. It is valid for the same period of time as your driver's license. When you renew your driver's license, remember to renew your Class M designation also.
Driver's License Restricted to Operation of a Motorcycle

If you do not hold a driver's license, you may obtain a driver's license that allows you to operate ONLY a motorcycle.

In addition to the above requirements for adding a motorcycle designation to a driver's license, you must:

Pass the two-part driver's license knowledge exam
The motorcycle-only driver's license costs $6.00 per year and is valid for 5 years. Remember that this type of driver's license allows you to operate only a motorcycle. If you decide later that you want to operate another type of vehicle, you will have to pass the knowledge exam and road skills test for that vehicle type. For more information, refer to Applying for a License.

**Edit** I pulled this from DMV, ive been using it to get my answers to certain dumb questions. **

Last edited by Mr.6; 04-15-2004 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:47 PM
Patron

Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus

Originally Posted by Slow_Rolla
Driver Services: Obtaining a Motorcycle License

Class M Designation

If you already hold a valid Virginia driver's license without a motorcycle designation, you may add Class M that will allow you to also operate a motorcycle. To obtain this motorcycle designation, you must:

Pass the required vision screening
Pass the motorcycle knowledge exam
Pass the motorcycle road skills test
IF YOU ARE 19 OR OLDER, you must also:
Hold a motorcycle learner's permit for at least 30 DAYS
OR

NOTE: If you provide DMV with a valid motorcycle safety course certificate, you will be exempt from holding the motorcycle learner's permit for 30 days and from taking the motorcycle road skills test at DMV.
IF YOU ARE UNDER 19, you must also:
Hold a motorcycle learner's permit for at least 9 MONTHS (This requirement does not apply if you were age 18 and your motorcycle learner's permit was issued prior to July 1, 2002.)
AND

NOTE: You will be exempt from taking the motorcycle road skills test at DMV.
The motorcycle class costs $2.00 per year. It is valid for the same period of time as your driver's license. When you renew your driver's license, remember to renew your Class M designation also.
Driver's License Restricted to Operation of a Motorcycle

If you do not hold a driver's license, you may obtain a driver's license that allows you to operate ONLY a motorcycle.

In addition to the above requirements for adding a motorcycle designation to a driver's license, you must:

Pass the two-part driver's license knowledge exam
The motorcycle-only driver's license costs $6.00 per year and is valid for 5 years. Remember that this type of driver's license allows you to operate only a motorcycle. If you decide later that you want to operate another type of vehicle, you will have to pass the knowledge exam and road skills test for that vehicle type. For more information, refer to Applying for a License.
hahah man I was wrong ohh well live and learn. Del He was asking driver's license for a certain amount. But I was wrong ohh well
Old 04-27-2004, 01:24 PM
aka GSXR

Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy

hahahahaha, "dumb" questions? these arent dumb questions, jus questions that im too lazy to look up for myself
Old 04-27-2004, 02:39 PM
elite member

freq is an unknown quantity at this point

Only one thing i must add, i just went and got my actually license @ dmv last week, (took the road course) and you need to brush up on your basic skills before trying to take on the challenge (u-turns, aggressive stops, sharp turns, etc. you get the point) thank-god i passed it for first time

Last edited by freq; 04-27-2004 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:34 PM
been around awhile.

zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas

no, they are wrong.

19 yrs old
30 days.
and yes you do.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:40 AM
Fighterer

Abysalone will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by zappas
no, they are wrong.

19 yrs old
30 days.
and yes you do.
To the third question. It seems as if you dont need a regular license.

"If you do not hold a driver's license, you may obtain a driver's license that allows you to operate ONLY a motorcycle. "