Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

repair question

Old 02-10-2007, 11:12 AM
srt-4s suck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blacksrt has disabled reputation
Default repair question

Just a question for you guys.

I bought a 1995 Yamaha Seca II, about 2 months ago.
Bike would not start, so I brought the bike to a shop in Newport news.
Guys told me that the motor was bad, and they would have to open it up to see what was wrong.

Then they call me and tell me that they have a guy there with a wrecked seca, and that he would sell it for 1200!

I only bought my bike for 900.

Does this seem high to anyone else, or would I have a hard time finding a motor for this much? I just bought the bike for a learner, so I didn’t want to put a lot of money into it.

Any recommendations would be great, should I just say fuck you to the shop, or bite the bullet and pay for it?

thanks
Old 02-10-2007, 12:09 PM
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom
Default Re: repair question

there is where skrooze should own in about three hours.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:31 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

define "bad motor"

a good mechanic would be able to give you at least a general idea of what's wrong with it with minimal diagnosis. motors don't just go bad. does it turn over? did they check for compression? for spark? for gas? seca's aren't very high output bikes, and they generally will run damn near forever.

you have to have 3 main things for any motor to run (well, 4 if you count timing) compression, gas, and spark. that's an air cooled semi-naked bike, they don't get much simpler to work on. who did you go to that just said the motor was bad? i mean, if it's locked up and won't even spin over, that's one thing, but just not starting, that's completely different. if you can get it to my shop, i'll be happy to go over it and tell you exactly what's wrong with it. sounds like someone is trying to pull something on you, imo.

if they checked compression and that was the problem, that would narrow it down to a head/top end problem (usually)

if they checked for spark and found none, that would narrow it down to an electrical problem

if they checked for proper fueling and found that to be the problem, that would narrow it down to a carb/fuel flow problem

in any case, they should be able to give you more info than just a "bad motor"

did the bike sit unused for any length of time? was it running at any time since you've had it?

and 1200 for a wrecked seca is rediculous, you can pick those things up running and ready to ride for under a grand.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:17 PM
srt-4s suck

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
define "bad motor"

a good mechanic would be able to give you at least a general idea of what's wrong with it with minimal diagnosis. motors don't just go bad. does it turn over? did they check for compression? for spark? for gas? seca's aren't very high output bikes, and they generally will run damn near forever.

you have to have 3 main things for any motor to run (well, 4 if you count timing) compression, gas, and spark. that's an air cooled semi-naked bike, they don't get much simpler to work on. who did you go to that just said the motor was bad? i mean, if it's locked up and won't even spin over, that's one thing, but just not starting, that's completely different. if you can get it to my shop, i'll be happy to go over it and tell you exactly what's wrong with it. sounds like someone is trying to pull something on you, imo.

if they checked compression and that was the problem, that would narrow it down to a head/top end problem (usually)

if they checked for spark and found none, that would narrow it down to an electrical problem

if they checked for proper fueling and found that to be the problem, that would narrow it down to a carb/fuel flow problem

in any case, they should be able to give you more info than just a "bad motor"

did the bike sit unused for any length of time? was it running at any time since you've had it?

and 1200 for a wrecked seca is rediculous, you can pick those things up running and ready to ride for under a grand.

bike ran when it was delivered, it sat for a weekend, then it wouldnt start.

I originally brought it in because it wouldn't start, and i thought the carburetors were bad.

so the guys hot tanked them and put them back on, and the bike would run, but he had to use either to start it.

then he did a compression test, and said that he only got compression on one cylinder.

so i asked him to take the motor apart to see if it may just be a bent valve or something.

then all of a sudden i get a call with him wanting to swap motors off another seca for 1200, then he want 200 to put it on.

i think monday im just going to pick it up. ill prob save some money up then bring it to your shop.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:37 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

hmmm, somethings not right there. you don't just lose compression on 3 cylinders all of a sudden. unless it popped a timing chain, but you'd have heard all kinds of noise if that happened.

"hot tanking" carbs doesn't work unless you pull the carbs completely apart and clean EVRY little orifice in the carbs. just dunking them doesn't do much usually. probably hard starting b/c the pilot (idle) jets are clogged. doesn't take much.

bring it by, i'll run a compression test and a leak down on it, and let you know what comes up. if it did pop a cam chain, the top end is probably trashed, but i wouldn't know for sure until i had the bike in front of me.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Banned

wonka is an unknown quantity at this point

if i were in your situation, i would get my bike back if you havent already and take it to someone else
Old 02-13-2007, 03:31 PM
srt-4s suck

Originally Posted by wonka
if i were in your situation, i would get my bike back if you havent already and take it to someone else

yes, ill be picking it up on wed or thursday.
just talked to the guy again, and he wouldnt budge on the 1200.
thats crazy, i just found 3 running secas on ebay for under 1200.

Last edited by blacksrt; 02-15-2007 at 07:11 PM.