Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Question about my Cam Chain

Old 04-30-2007, 03:54 PM
always broke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to behold
Default Question about my Cam Chain

I have a 1999 CBR F4, and it is making a lil nois, sounds like valve train. I was told that the cam chain adjuster on the CBR's likes to go bad. I have priced the parts........... but i want to know if this is the real problem. The bike has 10,500 miles on it and i hear anywhere from 10K to 15k they go bad. Also what kind of valve train adjustments should i be looking to do.

Is there anyone on here that can do the work........... preferably a bike tech, or someone who has alot of reputable credit. And how much should i be looking to spend for parts and labor all together.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey
Default Re: Question about my Cam Chain

I'm sure Steve will respond to this. He knows his shit and can get the bike right.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:11 PM
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of

i have heard of those cam chain tensioners going bad. maybe opt to go with a manual one?

+1 on steve responding, he will get you straight.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:26 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

<---steve

yeah, with your milage, you're due for a valve adjustment. f2/f3's crap thier tensioners all the time. not usually to the point that the chain jumps time, but enough to make alot of noise. best bet would be to get a manual cam chain tensioner. you could buy a new honda tensioner, but you run the risk of having the same thing happen again down the road. if you get a manual tensioner, bring it by here and i'll install it and do the valve adjustment, and anything else you may need/want. my rates are pretty low for most work, and alot of people here can vouch for my work.

just shoot me a pm, or call my cell (my number is in my sig) and we can discuss what all you'd need, rates, timeframes, etc.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:36 PM
always broke

DomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to beholdDomesticDesire is a splendid one to behold

pm'd
Old 04-30-2007, 06:19 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

gotcha, replied
Old 05-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

seanazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

just did my friends f4i cam chain tensioner...replaced it with the manual from ape racing parts. piece of cake