Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

prep for painting questions??

Old 02-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LShatch59 has disabled reputation
Default prep for painting questions??

I have a 2006 600RR and Im going to have a friend paint the bike but to save him some time I would like to have everything ready so he can just spray it. I would like to know the best way to prep eveything for him such as getting all the stickers off and the correct way to make eveything smooth, what type of sandpaper needs to be used, etc...
Pretty much looking to do this the right way so if anyone has done this before or is a painter and could help please let me know some tips ... also when painting is there some type of clear coat that is used on the gas tank to prevent pealing or fading?
Old 03-01-2009, 05:52 AM
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx
Default Re: prep for painting questions??

subscribed because I have this project in my future as well.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:56 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

get a heat gun...heat stickers and peel off...get some reducer/paint thinner and remove excess glue

wet sand all the plastics with 400 wet and dry...

fthe tank sticker is usually clearcoated over....you have to remove the sticker by hard sanding or grinding it off...be careful not to cut the tank....use a wire wheel or something....after the stickers gone you will have to apply a little bit of filler to fill in the "asshole"where the sticker was...prime it and sand it with 400 also...
Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

757motoring has disabled reputation

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=105576

This guy has the best right up for you to get your plastics ready and painted
Old 03-01-2009, 09:13 AM
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of

Good thread.

What about fiber glass for race bodywork. That is going to be different, correct? I would like to prep and spay mine at some point before the season starts.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Eh

NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay

Originally Posted by nftuatn
get a heat gun...heat stickers and peel off...get some reducer/paint thinner and remove excess glue

wet sand all the plastics with 400 wet and dry...

fthe tank sticker is usually clearcoated over....you have to remove the sticker by hard sanding or grinding it off...be careful not to cut the tank....use a wire wheel or something....after the stickers gone you will have to apply a little bit of filler to fill in the "asshole"where the sticker was...prime it and sand it with 400 also...
+1