Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Please TEach me how to RIDE?!

Old 04-11-2005, 06:44 PM
aka GSXR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy
Default Please TEach me how to RIDE?!

Just Kidding. But seriously, I read in one of those David Hough books that a person who is taught how to ride a bike is more likely to crash than a person who taught themself, and (obviously) more likely to crash than someone taught by one of the MSF programs. Anyways, I was wondering what your guys' opinions were about getting taught by a friend rather than by MSF, is it that much worse? or not too much difference. The reason I ask his because i have called every week for more than the last month and theres no cancellations, and I wanna get my license and a bike soon.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Patron

Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus
Default Re: Please TEach me how to RIDE?!

MSF is good plus you can get cheaper insureance. I learned alot from the MSF
Old 04-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

Alwayslast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stea1thy
Just Kidding. But seriously, I read in one of those David Hough books that a person who is taught how to ride a bike is more likely to crash than a person who taught themself, and (obviously) more likely to crash than someone taught by one of the MSF programs. Anyways, I was wondering what your guys' opinions were about getting taught by a friend rather than by MSF, is it that much worse? or not too much difference. The reason I ask his because i have called every week for more than the last month and theres no cancellations, and I wanna get my license and a bike soon.

I guess that does make sense. If you are taught by a friend than you learn faster and you are not as cautious as you would be if you taught yourself how to ride. If you taught yourself than you would pace yourself and have your head in-check. If you learn from a friend than you would more likely be more eager to move up too fast and that would be where you can get yourself in trouble.

I say do all 3. Thats what I did. I took the msf and rode with my friends and paced myself. And I am still always learning.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Patron

or you can try to take it down here less of a wait
Old 04-11-2005, 07:28 PM
aka GSXR

Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy

Originally Posted by Jesus
or you can try to take it down here less of a wait
wheres that at?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Patron

http://www.tcc.edu/wd/CHES/motor2.htm
Old 04-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Patron

wow it was 75.00 to take the class
Old 04-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

take the msf course. While a friend can probably teach you 80% of what you need to know that extra 20% is what will bite you and with the class they linked a lot of things together and the drills helped numerous riders. The msf class teaches you some of the concepts you need to know and the most beneficial part was the slow speed maneuvering for me. BTW I rode dirt for a little while and then rode for about a year without a license or much in the way of instruction and then took the class after not having a bike for a year. It gave me some confidence and I can say I'm now 10x the rider after the class.

Like was said. Take the class for the experience and so you don't have to take the test at the dmv, ride with some friends who are willing to slow it down and help you out with your riding, and practice on your own doing some drills and stuff you learned in the class.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:46 AM
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

When I taught my girl how to ride she started getting really pissed. I did so many braking drills with her she got bored to tears. But I wanted to make sure emergency braking was ingrained before we ever hit the street.

If you're gonna have a friend show you how to ride.......how do I say this PC like? Uh............make sure they know what the fuck they're talking about!!

I guess that was pretty PC right?
Old 04-12-2005, 05:31 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

yea theres tons of misinformation out there, so i'd be cautious about having a friend teach you, if you aren't really knowledgable about bikes something completely insane to the rest of us could seem logical to you when your friend explains it, the msf people are certified and trained to not be idiots

Quick Reply: Please TEach me how to RIDE?!