Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

One piece leathers

Old 01-22-2005, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One piece leathers

What do you guys wear for the track? I don't want to spend alot, but I dont want a crappy suit either thats not going to protect me. I really like Fieldsheer, and there Carbon Fang and Phantom suits look nice. They are 500 and 600 dollars.

I was also wondering about track days. Where can I go to find out about them? I'd really love to hit up Summit Point or VIR on the bike this year. Even though I ride a pretty slow bike (stock Seca II, only 50 hp). And since we are talking about track days, what do I need safety wired?

-Mike
Old 01-22-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Re: One piece leathers

Another question.... What are some good tires for the street and track? A friend of mine that races an R6 loves the Pirelli Diablos, but they dont make them in my dinky size. I need 130/70-18's in the rear, yes, thats the rear tire. And I need 110/80-17's for the front. Maybe I should just get a faster bike...

-Mike
Old 01-22-2005, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Alwayslast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mpg9999
Another question.... What are some good tires for the street and track? A friend of mine that races an R6 loves the Pirelli Diablos, but they dont make them in my dinky size. I need 130/70-18's in the rear, yes, thats the rear tire. And I need 110/80-17's for the front. Maybe I should just get a faster bike...

-Mike
learn with the bike you have.

for trackdays, it's been posted on here before.
check out
www.cornerspeed.net
www.teampromotion.com
there is a prep guide at those websites.

gear, check out
www.newenough.com go to closeout for some good deals.

get gloves, dot approved helmet, racing boots, hard back protector
race suit with CE approved armour. leathers from AGV, J. Rocket, Alpine Star, Fieldsheer should be fine.

bring lots of water

since you have not gone to the race track before, it will be better if you go with a friend
bring your family and treat it as a vacation and just have fun.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

newenough.com always has decent quality 1-piece suits for under $500. No reason to spend crazy $. Check out wera.com as they always have cheap bikes and suits for sale. As for the tires its hard to say with a weird size like that but if you ask on wera.com I'm sure you'll get a ton of answers. I'd look into a cheap-o track bike like an ex500 or something similar if you think you'll be doing a lot of track days. You can get a track ready bike for less than 2k. Check out cycleforums.com under sportbikes then under northeast then under virginia then under coastriders. All those guys are crazy about track days and can give you the pointers and info you'll need. Every track day at VIR there is probably at least 2 guys from there that will be going. I've met almost all of them and they're all good people
Old 01-23-2005, 10:32 AM
Go Skins!

hybridreams hybridreams hybridreams hybridreams

as far as safety wiring, you need to read the guidelines/rules for track for whichever club you decide to do the trackday with. whether it be nesba, stt, dealer days, etc...

in addition to newenough, check ebay and also

http://host235.ipowerweb.com/~metric...e/ac/agora.cgi

good prices on some stuff
Old 01-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

zx12guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mpg9999
I need 130/70-18's in the rear, yes, thats the rear tire. And I need 110/80-17's for the front. Maybe I should just get a faster bike...

-Mike
Just a guess but are you on a fzr600? If so those make great beginner track bikes. As far as tires go to the sites posted above and ask. You'll get the response you're looking for.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

i thought helmets had to be M SNELL 2000 rated for the track, could be wrong... as for suits a 2-piece is more practical if your just riding on the street and doing track days
Old 01-23-2005, 03:41 PM

I said in my original post, but I ride a Yamaha Seca II, not an FZR600. My helmet is snell rated so no worries there. I'd really prefer a one piece for the track. My fieldsheer jacket can zip onto there paints too, but I don't want to do that.

-Mike
Old 01-23-2005, 04:51 PM

I am having problems with sizing. Im a tall and skinny. If I buy a suit to match my height, it will be to loose. If I buy one to be snug, it will be to short. Any advice?

-Mike
Old 01-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

IMHO a one piece is the way to go. Just try and find the best deal possible. I got a huge deal on my leathers. Honda HRC one piece for 300 bucks shipped!!!! Just look for it and wait for it.

Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa's are what me and my friends run on the track. Nothing better for the price. As for your size? Can't you fit a 180 on there?

As for lockwiring....................common misconception. It depends on the group running the track day. But for most track days the beginner and usually the intermediate groups don't need to have anything lockwired and can still run coolant. What you do have to do though is tape up your lights/blinkers and remove your mirrors. Then your bike must pass tech. They check for throttle snap, brake pads, tires, pedal and lever free play, yadda yadda yadda.

Have fun and stay safe!

Oh ya, you'll need a back protector as well.

Quick Reply: One piece leathers