Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Is this normal?

Old 02-23-2006, 06:33 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dmgcman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is this normal?

Hey,

I've been riding dirt bikes for about half a year now and I have a question. I own a honda 250 that I love to ride. This past month though, I decided it was time to step up to a slightly bigger bike becasue I felt I was getting too comfortable on the 250 and I want to work towards being comfortable on a street bike. I went out and bought a ktm 330. Excited as hell, I brought it home started it up and took it for a spin. After taking a couple of passes around my trails I parked the bike. I was overwhelmed by the throttle response of the bike and quite frankly I didn't enjoy it as much as my 250. I don't want to sound like a wuss, but I didn't enjoy the riding because I was afraid of the bike.
So, I was just wondering if this has ever happened to any of you guys? The situation doesn't have to be the same, but have you guys ever stepped up from a smaller bike to a bigger one and not liked it, or were afraid of it? I hope the cure for me is just to get back on the bigger bike, and take it slow unitl I get used to it, but any advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2006, 06:45 AM
Free Time

octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane
Default Re: Is this normal?

More power can be daunting if you're not used to it. Get a little more seat time and you'll probably come to appreciate the power as you learn to control it. It really becomes a matter of preference though. I love to ride big, powerful bikes - they're a load of fun. But, at the risk of sounding like Spiderman's Uncle Ben, with power comes responsibility - you really need to respect it. One of the things I love about my little GS500 is that it makes enough power to be quick and fun, but I don't have to worry about the rear stepping out on me if I'm not smooth on the throttle. At the same time, when I'm out riding with my buddies I love to trade bikes and have some fun on a bigger bike. My best friend rides a badass Buell S1 White Lightning, which is at least twice as powerful as my GS. He enjoys trading as much as I do because the GS handles great and is easy to ride fast on the street - a totally different ride from his.

Bottom line, ride the bike a bit and see how you feel in another month. You'll probably feel a little differently.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:36 AM
aka GSXR

Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy

ya i had the same experience when i upgraded from a 1996 Kawi ZX6e (not even the R model, it was the p.o.s. lower end E model) to a 2003 gsxr750. The throttle is unbelievable and the clutch is much stiffer than my last bike. But after riding it for a week, i got used to it, still haven't takin it to its full potentional of course, but im used to the increase in acceleration. Just takes a few days of riding to get used to it.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:49 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

even after all the big bikes i've built and owned, i still have more fun on smaller bikes (600's and such). keeping up with the big boys on lesser equipment will teach you more than ham-fisting a big bore bike.

octane, you wouldn't be referring to Troy with that buell would you?
Old 02-23-2006, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

perfectly normal. I have a 85rwhp(?) zx6r that is a ton of fun but my 32 rwhp drz400sm is even more fun to ride at 50mph or less. It weighs 150lbs less and you can carry a lot more corner speed and frankly I can be a little sloppy on it from time to time without it biting back like my zx6r. I accidentally have used a little too much rear brake and have locked the rear at 25 or so mph an was able to easily straighten it back out and in one case was able to "back it in." Getting throttle happy in corners with the drz will result in manageable events whereas with the zx6r its a pucker moment. I'm also starting to learn how to do wheelies and its soo much easier on the drz. I've ridden my friend's hawk gt quite a bit and the bike is so small, manageable and full of character that I want one for myself or at least increased "borrowing priveleges" of it. On the 55rwhp hawk gt or my 32 rwhp drz I can also smoke myself on my zx6r when I'm doing less than 50mph where I do 90% of my riding. I've gotten over the going really fast thing and think people should ride the smallest bike their ego can handle and that they can have a lot of fun on. Riding my drz at 70% of my capability and 60% of the bike's capability is soo much more fun than riding my zx6r at 95% of my ability and 30% of the bike's capability
Old 02-23-2006, 08:44 PM
to poor to be patron

lookattheAC has disabled reputation

i have been riding/racing dirtbikes since i was 4 and i ride a CRF 250R now and i love it i stepped up from a KX100 and you just got to give it time you cant hop right on and expect to ride the same way you did on the 250 just give it some time but in terms of the other people hell i enjoy racing around on my pit bike (XR 100) almost as much as i do riding the 250 beacause its so much easier to ride and i can just throw it around like there is no tomorrow
Old 02-24-2006, 05:09 AM
Free Time

octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
even after all the big bikes i've built and owned, i still have more fun on smaller bikes (600's and such). keeping up with the big boys on lesser equipment will teach you more than ham-fisting a big bore bike.

octane, you wouldn't be referring to Troy with that buell would you?
No, my buddy Mike. We were college roomates in '92 and moved down here together when we finished school. He also rides a super clean red '91 Bandit 400 (another REALLY fun small bike) that you may have actually worked on in the past. Is Troy the dude that works at SSHD?

Here's the S1: http://www.octaneonline.com/buellS1.htm

And +1 on smaller bikes being more fun. My 500 runs out of steam in a long straight, but it has embarassed much bigger bikes in the twisties.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:11 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

this is the same reason i sold my rm250 for a yz250f, and then sold that for a drz125... its alot more fun going around wide open on a smaller bike, than it is to be babying the throttle on a big bike
Old 02-24-2006, 06:31 AM
Registered Member

dmgcman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to stick with the bigger bike for now and keep practicing, but if it doesnt work out I'm gonna go back to the 250. Thanks again.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:58 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

shane... i'm building yet another hawk gt.. i'll have to let you take it for a spin when she's up and running. i agree they are a blast. i've had 4 of them.

octane... yeah troy works up at southside... his lightning is bad ass.

Quick Reply: Is this normal?