Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

new rider thread v. 1497

Old 07-09-2008, 04:54 PM
master debater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout
Default new rider thread v. 1497

i feel like a complete newb in this forum guys, so bear with me, i may tend to get long winded. i've wanted a bike since about 99, but between lack of money and the introduction of wife and kids in my life it obviously hasn't happened... however, the planets have aligned and hell has apparently frozen over as now my wife is now heavily interested in riding as well.

i will very likely buy an 08 ninja 250 by this weekend.

now i have a few questions... i have done a fair amount of research but just glancing at some of the stickies in this thread (i actually have read the buying a bike 101 and gear threads already, along with some other newb rider threads) i realize that there are a ton of you guys on here with a wealth of knowledge, so i feel like i can get as specific as i want.

so for starters, here's more background. i have never ridden anything with a motor and two wheels. i have a fair amount of atv experience, but it's been a while since i drove a manual transmission. i did catch on pretty quick with the clutch and shifting while i was riding though... hopefully some of that stuck for when i buy the bike. i am in the military and plan on taking the base-provided motorcycle safety course ASAP after the bike is purchased, as they don't provide bikes to learn on. i was wondering how the hell if i don't have an m license how i would get the bike on base... but there must be some workaround and i can figure that one out on my own later.

the decision to buy a 250 to learn on is pretty much a no-brainer- as i said, my wife wants a bike as well and i think this will be perfect for her, and a perfect bike for me to learn on. at first i didn't want to buy brand new, but i've actually seen used 250s being asked for around the same price as a new one, and ~$4k doesn't seem like too steep a cost of admission including gear, a warranty, and a pretty fair shake that it hasn't been dropped. plus i figure learning on a 250 will help train me to respect the power of the 600 i will likely buy when it gets warm next year.

so to get to the questions- first up, does anyone have any recommendations on kawasaki dealers in the area? i'm aware there's a few. it would be nice to walk into a dealer knowing at least a couple people have had a decent experience with their first bike purchase there...

next, does anyone have any other recommendations for a starter bike? as this will actually end up being my wife's bike, my hands are kind of tied... she really likes the full-fairing look of the ninja 250, and the price seems reasonable enough. the only other option google could find me was a hyosung gt250r... anybody with prior knowledge on these throw it out there. the bikes look fantastic, but i'm not sure as to the build quality or reputation- i wasn't exactly reassured by taking a trip to their website. their introductory greeting was in incredibly broken english, and many of the links on their site didn't work. not a good sign imo...

and generally anything else you guys want to advise me on. i'm trying to take as safe a route as possible, financially and safety-wise, as i do have two young children to keep in mind AND my wife is just as excited as i am to get a bike. if i'm overlooking anything, by all means feel free to call me out on it.

if any of you has made it this far in this ridiculously long post... i appreciate it.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random
Default Re: new rider thread v. 1497

about dealers: https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/cycle-shops-245255/

about insurance: https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/questions-regarding-insurance-239631/

about first time riding: https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/i-have-caved-245207/

how not to end up dead: https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/how-motorcycle-riders-get-killed-243821/

license info: https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/where-244304/
Old 07-09-2008, 05:33 PM
SV haver

chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe

Originally Posted by blackout
i am in the military and plan on taking the base-provided motorcycle safety course ASAP after the bike is purchased, as they don't provide bikes to learn on. i was wondering how the hell if i don't have an m license how i would get the bike on base... .
you can't ... need MSF card, lisence and insurance to even get a TEMP pass
Old 07-09-2008, 05:33 PM
SHAKE AND BAKE

_Sin_ _Sin_ _Sin_ _Sin_ _Sin_ _Sin_ _Sin_ _Sin_ _Sin_ _Sin_ _Sin_

local dealers are going to bend you over another grand for a 250r
Old 07-09-2008, 05:39 PM
SV haver

chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe

this sounds like normal 'merican english to me
http://www.hyosungmotorsusa.com/
Old 07-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Old N Slow :D

cobra671 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Great choice! But, I'm not too sure if you'll be able to take possesion(sp?) of it right away. It's a very popular model that the supply is having a hard time keeping up with demand.
I don't know the dmv regs around here but I think you can get a permit to ride, with limitations of course. For the base test, you'll have to truck it to the site or have somebody ride it, who is legally able to, for you.

1. Can't answer as I've never dealt with a kawi dealer, however, from what I've read, It is highly recommended that you pursue a dealer out of state.

2. Starter bike, well there's a slew of opinion's on that one. But you seem to be on the right track with what you have planned already. Other choices of mine would be, in no particular order: Suzuki - sv650(s), gs500f; Kawi - 250r, 500r, versys; Honda - nighthawk.

You don't need help at all man, you seem to have control of the situation and your well aware of everything worth living for. You got this mang. Goodluck and I hope to see you out there sometime.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:46 PM
DayCrew© Dude

Johnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond repute

yes!

GO GREEN!!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 05:54 PM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by chappe
you can't ... need MSF card, lisence and insurance to even get a TEMP pass
shit... maybe if i had a learner's permit... i'll have to look into this one.

Originally Posted by _Sin_
local dealers are going to bend you over another grand for a 250r
this is sad news indeed, and something i definitely didn't think about.

Originally Posted by chappe
this sounds like normal 'merican english to me
http://www.hyosungmotorsusa.com/
well i tried to post a link but when i clicked on it the page wasn't found, so here's a taste of what i got when i tried to find out more about the warranty they offer, copied straight from their website, with some obnoxious spacing edited out-

"Cheer for Successful 2007, Hyosung Partner

Hyosung appreciates you and your crews with the bottom of its heart for taking a bold step forward of your business with Hyosung and Hyosung products.

Hyosung and Hyosung crews promise you to supports you more seriously upon year 2007 to bring your business to be successful due to your success are our success.

May God’s special blessings be upon you and your family members and your business in His mysterious way through out the 2007!"

Originally Posted by cobra671
Great choice! But, I'm not too sure if you'll be able to take possesion(sp?) of it right away. It's a very popular model that the supply is having a hard time keeping up with demand.
I don't know the dmv regs around here but I think you can get a permit to ride, with limitations of course. For the base test, you'll have to truck it to the site or have somebody ride it, who is legally able to, for you.

1. Can't answer as I've never dealt with a kawi dealer, however, from what I've read, It is highly recommended that you pursue a dealer out of state.

2. Starter bike, well there's a slew of opinion's on that one. But you seem to be on the right track with what you have planned already. Other choices of mine would be, in no particular order: Suzuki - sv650(s), gs500f; Kawi - 250r, 500r, versys; Honda - nighthawk.

You don't need help at all man, you seem to have control of the situation and your well aware of everything worth living for. You got this mang. Goodluck and I hope to see you out there sometime.
i appreciate the informative post, i was hoping to at least have some of my priorities right. i am saddened by the thought of not being able to get the bike by this weekend. again, i hadn't even thought about if they didn't have any in stock (God forbid not the right color, either, the wife NEEDS it to be in black). i'm all about the instant gratification.

and when you say 'out there', i suppose i'm going to have to find out where 'there' is! i'll leave that for another thread...

thanks for all the input guys, and keep it coming!

Last edited by blackout; 07-09-2008 at 05:59 PM. Reason: link didn't work
Old 07-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Old N Slow :D

cobra671 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Gotta keep the wife happy if you wanna ride. lol..

I meant just riding around and hopefully meeting up for a ride sometime.

p.s.
Japanese > Korean

Last edited by cobra671; 07-09-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

bike night in chesapeake...

Quick Reply: new rider thread v. 1497