Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

New rider with a question

Old 01-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blitzblue1032 blitzblue1032
Default New rider with a question

hello all. i am in the market of purchasing my first motorcycle, it wont be the first time i have ever ridden though, just the first one that i will personally own. i just have a question that i need answered. how important is "high mileage"? and what exactly would constitute high mileage for a sport bike? im looking at either getting a gsxr or r6 if that helps any. thanks in advance for any feedback! oh, and i did a search before i posted this, but didnt really find what i was lookin for.

thanks,
brandon
Old 01-02-2008, 04:29 AM
单身的 and loving it :)

Kells<3's Bikes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New rider with a question

Originally Posted by blitzblue1032
hello all. i am in the market of purchasing my first motorcycle, it wont be the first time i have ever ridden though, just the first one that i will personally own. i just have a question that i need answered. how important is "high mileage"? and what exactly would constitute high mileage for a sport bike? im looking at either getting a gsxr or r6 if that helps any. thanks in advance for any feedback! oh, and i did a search before i posted this, but didnt really find what i was lookin for.

thanks,
brandon
Hello! Older bikes with little miles is not necessary a good thing. It means it has been sitting and most likely has some issues. A Bike with high mileage is not always a bad thing. You just need to find out how many owners there have been, how it has been maintained and how thay have riden it. (ie wheelie bikes are not so good, the engine has probably been starved of oil pretty often). What I consider a high mileage bike is a bike that has 35,000-40,000 plus miles (That is more for sportsbikes). What i tel all 1st time bike purchasers is come and see us or give us a call. We are more than happy to tell you if it is going to be a good deal or not. We see poor 1st time riders getting screwed all the time. There is the bike buying 101 thread above that has some good info. The check list for buying a bike is pretty indepth but a smart thing to do! It is always good to bring an experienced rider like 5 years plus with you to help. It is good to have it put under a load and check the shifting. Give us a Call and we would love to help ya!

Kellie w/ EMC
Old 01-04-2008, 07:37 PM
yes sir

rollingstock has disabled reputation

if u never rode a bike in ur life

i would look into a ninja 250 or ex 500... i know there not as kool as teh 600cc bikes but u can get over powered with a 600 easy as a noob and get ur self killed...

i started on a 03 ninja 250 in FL(worse part to ride).. when i went on ride(big groups) i was always in teh lead pack.. then started helpin out at a WELL known bike shop(prostar racers) that build street legal drag bikes.. step from a 250 to gsxr1000's that were fully build... i did ride other bikes tho.. 600,1000s before then...but tryin to get at if u dont have a feel for riding u might take a turn an high/low side or try doing sumthing u shouldnt thinking u can.. bikes will kill u in a blind of a eye.. they shouldnt be taking lighty

u really got to have self contral to rid anykind of bike. iv seen many riders died thinking they can handle more than they really can...
Old 01-05-2008, 01:39 PM
beautiful struggle

Quentin has disabled reputation

I wouldnt buy a bike with >25k, but I rarley see bikes with that on them anyway.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:00 PM
yes sir

rollingstock has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Quentin
I wouldnt buy a bike with >25k, but I rarley see bikes with that on them anyway.
ya ur hardly see it.. but i would in a heart beat... miles mean nothing...
Old 01-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

and1baller has disabled reputation

i have a 94 cbr600f2. 28k miles on it. runs fine. all depends on how the bike was maintained. this is my first bike as well, no need to go out and spend alot of money on something that your going to learning on. thats how i felt about it when i bought mine.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:17 PM
单身的 and loving it :)

Kells<3's Bikes is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by and1baller
i have a 94 cbr600f2. 28k miles on it. runs fine. all depends on how the bike was maintained. this is my first bike as well, no need to go out and spend alot of money on something that your going to learning on. thats how i felt about it when i bought mine.
+1
Old 01-05-2008, 08:57 PM
oNi
Urusai! Baka!

oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi

Originally Posted by and1baller
x100

I got a 1995 CBR600F3, bought it couple years ago with 28k reading, it had 2 previous owners, the 2nd owner I know for sure had -1 +2 gearing, the first I'm not sure, as of now the bike has 42k miles and is -1 gearing in the front. I have not put 14k on the bike at all though, last I checked (going a mile distance while following a car with correctly working speedometer/odometer) the bike registers 1.6 miles for every 1 mile I actually travel, so the change in gearing accelerates how many miles are showing on my bike. I'd truthfully say I have 30k something mileage, and like andballer1 stated, a lot depends on how the bike was maintained. My roomate has 2 F3's himself, one has 40k mileage, the other 20k, however the 20k one's clutch is slipping while the 40k is alright. My bike runs great, clutch engages terrific, starts up fine, as it's been regularly maintained and taken care of.

Buying used for your first bike is a smart way to go imo, and if you happen to come along one with some miles on it, best way to check if it's all good is to take it for a test ride, most people will want you to have cash in hand for taking their bike for a test ride as a lot of people end up wrecking when just doing a test ride.

So if you come upon a bike with high mileage, don't necessarily think it's crap, just might be a great deal you'll be getting as they're almost always cheaper in price.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:35 PM
turbo on 2 wheels

Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern

my 2000 zx9 has almost 25k on it now and runs fuckin SWEET! miles dont mean that much just as long as it looks like they kept up with the maintinence.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Handling is Key!

Voodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these parts

pmed you.

Quick Reply: New rider with a question