VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Cycle Corner (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/)
-   -   NEED import bike motor help slash mechanic (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/need-import-bike-motor-help-slash-mechanic-408509/)

B-Well 08-14-2011 07:11 AM

NEED import bike motor help slash mechanic

I am looking for someone to look over this motor i just picked up and let me know what i need to get it back up and running. going on a crazy project.

anyway the motor is a ~'78 honda CB450. All parts are here, trans shifts great and head is clean but the head is off and there is surface rust on pistons and such. No carbs on it. Im really wanting to get an estimate on what it will take to get it back up or if i should just get another motor to start with.

Thanks

rollingstock 08-14-2011 07:49 AM

Re: NEED import bike motor help slash mechanic

what are you looking to do?. just try and reinstall the head(top end kit) or full out oem rebuild or "going crazy" cams, new valves, valve job, under cut trans, over bore pistons, rods?..

i mean really if your just trying to get what you have up and running then probly gonna be around $500. but if you wanna start upgrading its going to be $3000+(pistons $600+, cams$500+, undercut trans$750-1000)

cb carbs are going up in price as well as any older bike(kz and cb being the most pricey). might be worth it to just get some flat sides or converting to a newer style carb. i dont really know what your doing but you could do some crazy carb set up.

B-Well 08-14-2011 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by rollingstock (Post 7287098)
what are you looking to do?. just try and reinstall the head(top end kit) or full out oem rebuild or "going crazy" cams, new valves, valve job, under cut trans, over bore pistons, rods?..

i mean really if your just trying to get what you have up and running then probly gonna be around $500. but if you wanna start upgrading its going to be $3000+(pistons $600+, cams$500+, undercut trans$750-1000)

cb carbs are going up in price as well as any older bike(kz and cb being the most pricey). might be worth it to just get some flat sides or converting to a newer style carb. i dont really know what your doing but you could do some crazy carb set up.

im simply looking to get it running reliably for the least possible. found a few sets of carbs on ebay but im sure they will need rebuilt.

i guess what i need is to have the cylinders inspected and reassembled back to running order.

What is involved in this modern carb swap or "flat sides"

rollingstock 08-14-2011 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by B-Well (Post 7287233)
im simply looking to get it running reliably for the least possible. found a few sets of carbs on ebay but im sure they will need rebuilt.

i guess what i need is to have the cylinders inspected and reassembled back to running order.

What is involved in this modern carb swap or "flat sides"

those old motors are almost bullet proof. the main thing you need to worry about is the rings. you could easly put a new headgasket on and it could fire right up and run for a very long time.. but what was the reason the head was pulled?. if i were you. i would pull the cylinders(since its pretty much already done), hone them, buy new rings(oem) or pistons if could be found cheap. buy a topend kit(around $100-300. buy a decent kit not a ebay knock off). i would replace every gasket you can with the kit. also lap or have the valve seats cut(3 angle atleast).

as far as carbs, alot of carbs off different bikes will bolt right up with a carb boot swap(i dont know off my head what bike). then its just down to needle height and jeting. flat slides are pricely as hell(like $800-1500) they should have a bolt on kit

B-Well 08-17-2011 04:06 AM

Id like to bring it to you to give it a good look over. When are you available?

rollingstock 08-19-2011 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by B-Well (Post 7293076)
Id like to bring it to you to give it a good look over. When are you available?

my house is a good little haul from va beach. its about 150miles round trip. but pm me you number and i can text you. i probly can take a ride over on my bike or something this weekend. i dont really get on this forum much anymore